Possible Origin of 'Hoarding' Behavior?

kalibex said:
Interesting turn to the discussion. I originally meant to (might not have been clear enough) refer to hoarding on a societal level (leading to relative 'affluence' for some versus 'poverty' in others), but an analysis of it on a micro (individual) level is also appropriate, since. as always, 'as above so below'...

Yeah, it was rollin' around in my head what you meant, since clearly Laura understood your inquiry in the more broad all encompassing sense. "As above so below" was what I was working off of. In both contexts it could be said that they are instigated by a form of entropy. Psychopathic influence, degradation of environment, degradation of the mind, degradation of the soul, etc. I imagine on a smaller scale our bodies inner workings can respond in yet the same way. For example, fat storage in cells in times of famine and so on.

Some psychopathic types don't go to the grand end of this accumulation of resources resulting in "wealth." Though their MO at the root (energy drain), some are happy to slide by suckling morsels off the closest host never gaining prestige. Perhaps it's the "example" and coercion of the wealthy psychopaths, flaunting their resources and dollars, that is the catalyst for others of their nature to manipulate together to take it all way "from all those dummies".... as they undoubtably see those of us with empathy.

Thanks Redfox for sharing those excerpts. All enlightening. I wouldn't call myself a hoarder in any sense of the word, though in times I can recall those painful feelings of letting go of clutter and things. Most recently coming to terms with my abundant wardrobe, I've held on to things for years because they were made of wool or finely stitched (or even crap that looked cool to me), but things I've never worn, that I picked up while thrifting. They had a potential value that I couldn't just "get rid of it." This discussion has helped me see a little more of the broader, and finer points of possession.

(
davey72 said:
Katie Jo said:
davey72 said:
Hi Katie Jo. I have heard this from more than one person, and i think you are right in that there is a difference. I see myself as more of a collector, and redistributor. It also always depends on my living situation, and i have lost all my stuff many times over. I have always thought it would be fun to buy storage sheds or other such things. I used to have garage sales, and sell stuff i found in the alleys.

I see. If more than one person has said this, why do you think it is so? Do they see an unorganized mess? See you struggle with throwing things away? If you put yourself in their perspective, what would cause them to think this?
I suppose it would be struggling to throw things away. Sometimes my own personal space can get quite messy until i know i will have company over, but never unsanitary.
Why do i think this is so? Well i dont really. Perhaps it is how one defines a hoarder, or just semantics. Not sure. What do you think?

Without knowing you personally, or having seen your space I cannot offer opinions on this. My reason for asking was to obtain a little more information. In my experience, like mentioned above, it is easy to collect things (clothes in my situation) and hold on to them and create some sort of practical reason for it so to substantiate keeping them. I had so many pieces of wardrobe that I never wore, and would struggle to keep organized, as the clothing I did wear piled up in "organized messes" (what an oxymoron), often on the floor. I have no system for the practical everyday clothing, because the "collected" pieces take up the drawers and closets.

Re-reading the paragraph above I see I sway from present and past-tense. I'm still working on it. :-) It was a problem I recognized in which I responded by separating the keep and not keeps, and placed those on an outgoing rack in our porch. I still do not have a system for the "keeps."

Some people say thoughtless things, sometimes they are our friends, yet sometimes there could be bits of truth in what they say. I asked you those questions because as human beings in this struggle to find the truths about ourselves, we often lie to ourselves. Is your collecting a mechanism that makes you feel good, or is it truly practical. Is your mind obsessed with objects, or is it a sincere work towards redistributing? Just things to think about I guess.

(Modified to included reply to Davey72)

Back
Top Bottom