Pipe Smoking and Addictive Behaviours

I wouldn't worry too much about addictive traits with smoking, Strategic Enclosure. If it's beneficial to you you'll notice pretty quickly. I personally don't pipe smoke but have smoked cigs and cigars since about 1998, and I'd never be without tobacco now. As a stress reliever it's unmatched. Take it nice and easy and don't stress over it is all I'd say.

Thanks, SlipNet; I am not worried about the smoking being addictive, funnily enough, more the 'me going overboard with a new hobby and buying up loads of pipes and paraphernalia' side of things! I have yet to finish my first bowl of tobacco and have four 10 oz samples of different tobaccos to try so they should last me a good while at this rate. I just have to take it easy and not be tempted to buy different pipes to try :-/.

Thanks, SlipNet; I am not worried about the smoking being addictive, funnily enough, more the 'me going overboard with a new hobby and buying up loads of pipes and paraphernalia' side of things! I have yet to finish my first bowl of tobacco and have four 10 oz samples of different tobaccos to try so they should last me a good while at this rate. I just have to take it easy and not be tempted to buy different pipes to try :-/.

Ah, that's good to hear. I've known many a paranoid smoker over the years, so I was probably on red alert over this. Smoking is a great discreet pleasure, but it's been demonised over recent times, as I'm sure you've noticed. Anything that has subtle benefits gets the tough treatment from PTB/OP sorts, so I always welcome a new member into the fold. Interesting that you plunged straight to the pipe, rather than cigs/cigars, kudos to you for that. If the tobacco is stronger that way, I may even go for that myself. I have a pretty great tolerance level, the stronger the better, lol. Happy smoking dude!:-)

I'm not concerned about the addiction side of things which is interesting as I have always been terrified of drugs. I have never even had a single puff on a joint for instance as I always knew that I was the type to take it too far. I did have an issue with alcohol for awhile; I would have one Scotch and think: "I feel great; if I have LOTS more I'll feel even better!" :-[ I have been teetotal for years though and happily so. Moderation was never my strong point. Sun in Scorpio; it's the stars fault! :halo: I do have a strong coffee and tea habit though :-P.

Cigs don't attract me. My brother and I appropriated some of our mother's cigs when we were kids but I thought they were disgusting. After growing up surrounded by her smoke for the rest of my childhood I developed a strong aversion to smoking. I don't know why the idea of smoking a pipe appealed to me. My maternal grandfather smoked a pipe so perhaps that's something to do with it. It just seems a bit more civilised, to me. I thought that I might take it up in my dotage but had a strong urge to start recently after doing lots of E.E. so decided to take the hint!

I just had my fourth session and am starting to get into it now. I am currently smoking a tobacco called 'Spirit of Scotland'. I am keen to finish the bowl and try the sample of 'vanilla' tobacco they sent me. It does seem strong to me but then I'm not a smoker. Why not give it a go and see if you like it? You could pick up a cheap clay pipe and a 10 oz sample of tobacco and see how you take to it. I would have done that if my local shop was open but C-19 saw to that. I almost waited but decided to place an online order and keep my fingers crossed. So far so good.

Cigs don't attract me. My brother and I appropriated some of our mother's cigs when we were kids but I thought they were disgusting. After growing up surrounded by her smoke for the rest of my childhood

That's interesting, it resonates with me. I was very anti-smoking as a child, plus I suffered from asthma till I was about 15. Long road travels with my dad would drive me nuts with him smoking all the way. I didn't get into smoking until my early 20's, which is unusual I hear. Having said that, I got into smoking when I became a drinker, the two went hand in hand. I can still remember when I knew I was a dedicated smoker, when I was running low on cigs and started to worry. Pretty soon afterwards I discovered loose tobacco and I discarded straight cigs for good, and began to roll my own. I'd never go back to straights now, I can make a cig myself that is always fine tuned to my needs. I think I'd like to try a pipe at some point, just to see if it suits me. Cigars are my fave at the mo, very strong but like I said I have built up quite a tolerance over the years.

I find my thoughts are more subtle when I smoke, it definitely enhances cognition in my view, plus there's also the fact that smoking produces acetylcholine in the brain, which provides the stress relief.

Because of all of that unregulated stimulation and disruption, your body increases its release of acetylcholine, leading to heightened activity in cholinergic pathways throughout your brain. ... Nicotine also increases the level of other neurotransmitters and chemicals that modulate how your brain works.

If tobacco was ever made illegal I definitely know I'd head straight to the black market for supplies. I used to be a dope smoker so the idea of breaking the law has never phased me, for what it's worth. Nothing to be proud of, but also nothing to be fearful of either.

I enjoyed reading your perspective and thoughts; thank you SlipNet. I had forgotten about roll-ups; they are much more like a pipe than ordinary ciggies so I can see the appeal. You never know, I might go to them at some point. I have broken a big TABOO in my life which I never thought I would do now that I am smoking so all bets are off!

Acetylcholine is news to me, unsurprisingly, given all the propaganda about smoking. Time to read up on it here an and on SOTT.

Laws aren't here for us. They're there to protect the elite and to keep us plebs down. Cynical, I know, but I'm an old fart; it's allowed!

Just to throw this in. I think that our addictions are like road-signs for self-remembering and re-claiming our power. Once I was able to let go of any behaviour that was destructive to me my life always got 10 times better. :thup:

Someone said that we get addicted because we are out of balance. So once we start to work towards inner harmony we shed all bad addictions like its nothing.

I have been trying all the different tobacco samples I was sent and have worked my way through them from the mildest to the strongest. I am now smoking the strongest: Latakia which I really like. It's got more 'oomph' to it than the other samples which I appreciate so I am now looking to add similarly strong tobaccos to the mix. If I hold a mouthful of smoke in my mouth rather than immediately blow it out it gives my tongue a nice tingle :cool2:.

Since I actually enjoy pipe smoking and it hasn't been a disaster of an experiment I decided to treat myself to a better quality pipe. I ordered a 'not impulse buy cheap but certainly not exorbitant and better quality' pipe earlier today, together with a nice metal stand for it and a couple of coffee flavoured blends to try. My current pipe which came in my 'starter kit' is a lesser quality bent pipe so I went for a straight pipe today. If things continue to go well I shall treat myself to a better quality bent pipe around the same price as the straight pipe and keep my first pipe for emergencies/travel. I shall not end up with 20 odd pipes like flash! :-/

Ah, the wonders of the pipe!
I didn't get into smoking until my early 20's, which is unusual I hear.
Same here SlipNet, and oddly enough, I started with pipes! I forget now why I felt drawn to pipe smoking, but my pipes have become dear friends and confidantes.
I find Einstein's words worth remembering:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” (our world could do with more pipe smokers!) :-D

If things continue to go well I shall treat myself to a better quality bent pipe around the same price as the straight pipe and keep my first pipe for emergencies/travel. I shall not end up with 20 odd pipes like flash!
Hmm, I've been down this particular rabbit hole (and can't be entirely sure that I successfully found my way out!) - I've not quite reached the point of having 20 pipes, but I do think that if you're to become a serious pipe smoker, it's worth considering having enough pipes such that you can 'rest' them between bowls. Also, and this is just a personal view, I find it best to use different pipes when smoking latakia blends and flavoured tobaccos.

all the propaganda about smoking
I was thinking about this (over a bowl!), and thought I would commend to you the following book:

'Smoke Screens: The Truth about Tobacco', by Richard White

Happy smoking! :cool2:

Ah, the wonders of the pipe!

Same here SlipNet, and oddly enough, I started with pipes! I forget now why I felt drawn to pipe smoking, but my pipes have become dear friends and confidantes.
I find Einstein's words worth remembering:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.” (our world could do with more pipe smokers!) :-D

Hmm, I've been down this particular rabbit hole (and can't be entirely sure that I successfully found my way out!) - I've not quite reached the point of having 20 pipes, but I do think that if you're to become a serious pipe smoker, it's worth considering having enough pipes such that you can 'rest' them between bowls. Also, and this is just a personal view, I find it best to use different pipes when smoking latakia blends and flavoured tobaccos.

I was thinking about this (over a bowl!), and thought I would commend to you the following book:

'Smoke Screens: The Truth about Tobacco', by Richard White

Happy smoking! :cool2:
Ha! I now have over a dozen pipes. Most of them are inexpensive pipes around £10 or so but I do have three that cost around £50. I just bought myself one of them and am looking forward to its arrival. I have a similar pipe around that price which I love because the bend is very pronounced which I like. My first pipe around £50 was a straight pipe but even though it's a nice pipe it is my least favourite. I most certainly prefer bent pipes. My preferred online retailer which also has a shop in my town conveniently enough stock a Polish brand of pipe manufacturers called Mr Brog. Many of my inexpensive pipes are from them and they are really good value for the price.

Looking back at the time when I wrote the post seems so long ago and it is only about seven months or so. Not surprising given what all of us have been through in that time I suppose. I am now most definitely a pipe smoker and am so glad that I took it up.

Thank you for the book recommendation. I shall give it a look.

Back
Top Bottom