Photos and videos of our amazing 2D residents

Depuis samedi je n'ai pas pu me connecter à mes cigognes, l'écran restait noir...
Ce matin vers 11h j'ai pu les voir, avec tristesse il ne reste plus que 2 cigogneaux suite à tous les orages, la grêle, sans doute un petit nous a quitté, j'ai laissé des messages mail sur leur site mais personne ne répond...
J'ai entendu aux infos que beaucoup d'oiseaux n'avaient pas survécu à toutes ces intempéries...
Sur 5 oeufs seuls deux bébés ont réussi à survivre pour le moment... Triste...

Since Saturday I could not connect to my storks, the screen remained black ...
This morning around 11 am I could see them, with sadness there are only 2 storks left after all the storms, the hail, probably a small one left us, I left mail messages on their site but nobody answers...
I heard on the news that many birds did not survive all these bad weather...
Out of 5 eggs only two babies managed to survive for the moment... Sad...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

1654592471136.png

Traduit avec www.DeepL.com/Translator (version gratuite)

Last edited by a moderator:
Je trouve ce lien sur Facebook concernant nos petites cigognes :
I found this link on Facebook about our little storks:

Clinique Veterinaire

trdsnoSepomt41:c435212,m ichafcnj i014u7ll ·
ce matin nous avons pris en charge les deux cigogneaux survivants après l'attaque d'une cigogne étrangère;
elles seront remises au nid après quelques soins tout à l'heure ;

this morning we took care of the two surviving storks after the attack of a foreign stork;
they will be returned to the nest after some care later on;
1654618235054.png

PERSONNEL
@Loovenelle
Ce couple de corbeaux est ensemble depuis 12 ans. Elle s'est cassé le bec il y a 8 ans dans une collision avec une voiture et ne peut plus s’alimenter seule... Il l'a patiemment nourrie et ne l'a jamais abandonnée... Ils ont des bébés chaque année et c'est une bonne mère.

This pair of crows has been together for 12 years. She broke her beak 8 years ago in a collision with a car and cannot feed herself anymore... He has patiently fed her and never abandoned her... They have babies every year and she is a good mother.
1654874803863.png

I hope you can watch it. It's a video of a family who rescued a deer 11years ago. She became friends with their dog. Since she's been released into the wild she comes every now and then to visit him.

An eagle snatched a baby hawk for dinner, then ended up adopting it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A pair of bald eagles near Nanaimo, B.C., have adopted a baby red-tailed hawk and are raising it alongside their own eaglet.

But while the hawk is now part of the eagles' family, it could have just as easily been their dinner.

"This bird likely came from a red-tailed hawk nest that was preyed upon by the adult bald eagles," ornithologist David Bird, a professor emeritus of wildlife biology at Montreal's McGill University, told As It Happens guest host Tom Harrington.

Webcam footage of the eagles' nest on Gabriola Island captured the mamma bird dropping the little red-tailed hawk into its nest earlier this month — likely "to be torn apart," according to Bird.

Pam McCartney, a volunteer with the wildlife organization Growls, was watching a livestream of the nest when she saw the mom drop the baby hawk.

She thought for sure it was a goner.

"Usually when I watch, like David Attenborough and his shows, I can close my eyes or fast forward or whatever, but this was live at the time, and I was just like, oh, my gosh, oh, my gosh," McCartney said.

But to her welcome surprise, neither the mother nor the eaglet attacked the little hawk.

"She just kind of dropped it, you know, and it came alive. And [the] eaglet was just like, 'What the heck, Mom? What is this? Why is it moving?'"

At first, she says, the two baby birds kept to themselves on opposite sides of the nest, and the mother didn't pay much attention to the hawk.

But by nightfall, she says they'd become a real family, with the mother eagle feeding and fussing over both baby birds equally.

"And the next thing you know, the little hawk bounces up and starts begging for food right away," Bird said. "That's what saved its life."

Growls operates a number of webcams on the island to monitor eagle nests. The group is keeping the exact location of the rare inter-species family a secret, so they don't get overwhelmed by birdwatchers.

McCartney says the eaglet's parents had lost one of their two chicks a few weeks ago, and she suspects the new hawk has taken its place.

"In my mind of growing up on Disney, I'm seeing this eaglet think like, 'Was this another little sibling?'" she said.

2nd time this has happened in B.C.

Bird says the rare phenomenon came about due to an incredible confluence of events.

First of all, he says it's "a miracle" that the hawk didn't die in the powerful clutch of the eagle's talons.

"I've had these on my fist. I know what that feels like," he said.

It's also amazing, he says, that the mother opted to feed the baby bird instead of kill it.

And finally, he says it's incredible odds that all of this happened in one of just a handful of nests on the island that are monitored by Growls' cameras.

"I don't think in my lifetime I would have believed I'd see that," Bird said. "It's quite a rare thing to see."

There are 20 species of Armadillos in the world as we know today. Armadillo is Spanish for “little armoured one”. The Nine-banded Armadillo, Dasypus novemcinctus, is the most common, spreading from South America into Kansas in the United States. (National Geographic, 2010) They are most closely related to the Anteater and Sloth, and are said to look like rabbits without its armour.
The armour of the Armadillo is made up of small plates of bones and covered by a later of horny skin.

Armadillos defend themselves by either:

▪︎Curling itself into a ball, with the exception of the Nine-banded Armadillo, which only defends itself by wedging its feet deep into the soil and grabbing it so that the surrounding armour touches the ground
▪︎Running swiftly into thorny bushes where its armour will protect it. (Ever Wonder, 2002) Solid Defence – Armadillos | Blogging about animal behaviour (2010).

You see me, now you don't see me

Back
Top Bottom