Pet Health Problems

Gandalf said:
Incognito said:
I had to put one of mine down April 3rd. It never gets any easier. I cried as hard this time as I did the first time. One of the things that was so awful this time, is that she was always so happy. Happiest rescue dog I've ever had I think. She wagged her head and tail at the same time, every time she saw you, even though she could barely walk anymore.

So sorry for you and you 2d friend. Those are very difficult moments. :flowers:

May she rest in peace and take the time for her next adventure.

Same here. It's so tough to let them go.

May she be laying in the sun and running through the grass in a better place. :flowers:

Thak you Nienna Eluch, Ganldalf and Incongnito for your warm comments and for the information.

Here´s a pic of my friend Robert Dante:

Betito-1.jpg

Imagen082.jpg

Tykes said:
Thak you Nienna Eluch, Ganldalf and Incongnito for your warm comments and for the information.

Here´s a pic of my friend Robert Dante:

Betito-1.jpg

Imagen082.jpg

He's very beautiful, Tykes. And has the looks of a true friend.

Two articles addressing possible contributors to allergies in pet food's to 2D friends. Wheat being one of them and a main component as filler to increase profit's.
Second article on proper nutrition, and for healthy and safe practices, in home made food recipes for Pets.

By Dr. Karen Becker, DVM
Does your pet

Sneeze and cough?
Have swollen paws or inflamed ears?
Have gastrointestinal upset?
It could be that allergies are wreaking havoc on their system.

Just like in people, your healthy pet’s immune system should react to bacteria and viruses by manufacturing antibodies that allow its body to mount an immune response against these unwelcome invaders (pathogens).

Your pet’s immune system also encounters hundreds of particles every day that are not harmful, rather are just part of the natural environment. Under normal circumstances, these substances (ragweed, grasses, pollens, molds, foods, etc.) should be recognized by the body but not be considered foreign invaders.

In the case of pet allergies, however, an over-active immune system processes and interprets common substances as a toxic assault. And when your pet’s body mounts an immune response to common, normally harmless substances, or allergens, allergic symptoms appear.

Food Allergies vs. Environmental Allergies
There are two types of allergic responses that pets can experience: food and environmental. Your companion can be allergic to one type of tree or every outdoor allergen, allergic to only wheat or every starch. Some pets even inherit sensitivities to certain foods and environmental factors, and in these cases often demonstrate allergic symptoms early in life.

For other pets, allergies are acquired over several years of continual exposure to the allergen.

What may your pet be allergic to?

The truth is, animals can react to anything in their environment -- even water is a possibility if it’s contaminated with impurities. Collar and bedding materials (cotton, etc.), cleaning supplies, household chemicals and dust mites are all relatively common household allergens that could cause your pet to have an allergic reaction.

As you’re trying to figure out what allergen is causing your pet a problem, keep in mind that some pets have both food and environmental allergies. If your pet itches during the spring, summer or fall, they are most likely reacting to something they are exposed to at that time. But if your pet continues to have allergic reactions after outdoor allergens have been buried under snow, it points more toward a non-seasonal, or year-round source of allergy, such as food.

That said, if you live in an environment that does not have a hard freeze in the winter, environmental allergens can really build up and cause year-round issues for our companions. Allergy testing can be done to determine what substances your pet is reacting to at that point in time. Allergy panels can yield very different results when conducted over several months, demonstrating that the immune system can over-react to many different substances at varying times of the year.

Why Feeding Your Pet One Food for a Lifetime May be Problematic
I commonly hear people say, “My pet can’t be allergic to her food, she’s been eating it her whole life.”

This is the point, exactly! Food allergies have been shown to occur more in pets that are fed only one food source for a prolonged period of time. Your pet’s immune system can become bombarded with the same allergens for so long that it begins to react negatively to the food source.

The foods most commonly found to be allergenic to dogs and cats are:

Wheat
Corn
Chicken
Beef
Surprising?

Not really, as dogs and cats were never meant to ingest foods containing such high amounts of carbohydrates (the average commercial dog food contains over 50% grains), and were certainly designed to consume more than one protein source over a lifetime!

If you suspect that your pet has a food allergy, a food trial, or allergy elimination diet, can help you figure out which foods are the problem.

Conducting an Allergy Elimination Diet
Once your companion has developed an allergic reaction to a substance, those reactive antigens can circulate in his bloodstream for up to 6 weeks, causing inflammation and irritation.

This means that an allergy elimination diet should last at least six weeks, sometimes longer (I recommend a full 3 months).

During this period, pets must not eat any foods or treats suspected of causing a reaction. A single bite of a problematic food can cause a flare up that lasts several days, so complete elimination is essential for the process to be successful.

After your pet has been given adequate time to clear the allergic substances from his body, new foods can be added slowly back in, as you watch the animal’s response after each food is added. Interestingly, many of the foods that were previously considered allergenic can often be incorporated into the diet once your pet’s body has had ample time to detoxify and clean out cellular debris.

Many holistic vets theorize that it’s not the actual food protein that causes the immune system to react but the chemicals and preservatives included in the foods that cause the problem. Although we can’t say for sure, this would explain why, after making the correct dietary changes, many pets can then consume foods that they were previously allergic to.

Allergy Symptoms Can be Diverse
It’s critical for pet owners to recognize that allergy symptoms are very diverse, and expand beyond the typical itching or sneezing. They include:

Itchy body
Red eyes
Nasal discharge
Oozy skin
Asthm
Coughing and sneezing
Inflamed ears
Swollen paws
Gastrointestinal disease (vomiting, diarrhea, gas, chronic hairball issues, anal gland problems)
What is the Best Treatment?
Because the symptoms of inflammation are produced from the inside out, ointments, shampoos, sprays and dips can only provide temporary relief and although are beneficial to use for improving your pet’s quality of life during a flare up, long-term treatment must focus on balancing your pet’s immune system.

Steroids (also called prednisone, cortisone or the nondescript “allergy shot”) are the least optimal treatment choice, as they work by suppressing your pet’s immune system. Steroids actually turn the immune system off, which improves the symptoms remarkably fast but doesn’t address the root issue of why your pet’s immune system is over-reacting in the first place.

Not only can steroids have a negative effect on your pet’s liver, adrenal glands and kidneys, but suppressing your pet’s immune system with steroids also allows for opportunistic yeast and bacteria to grow on your pet’s skin, sometimes increasing the chances that antibiotics may be prescribed.

Antibiotics increase the likelihood of yeast overgrowth, which causes your pet to:

Smell like a corn chip
Become insanely itchy, which sends you back to the vet for more steroids
Do you see the crazy cycle? The image below does a great job of explaining it further.

As an aside, keep in mind that healthy pets do not smell bad. Yeast exudes a musty smell, and if your pet smells this way he may have a problem with yeast overgrowth. Many people assume their pets should smell this way, but in reality healthy pets should only be bathed with they’re dirty -- not because they’re smelly.

Bathing smelly pets in oatmeal (a grain) shampoo often adds fuel to the fire, requiring the pet to be re-bathed multiple times a week in order for the owners to tolerate the pet’s odor.

Nutrition is the Optimal Solution
The foods you feed your pet will eventually heal or harm. Feeding pets healing, non-allergenic foods allows their immune systems to rest. Rebalancing your pet’s immune system by offering natural, biologically appropriate wholesome foods is necessary to begin the road to recovery. Also remember that the more variety you include in your pet’s diet, the less likely your pet will be to react to the same monotonous foods. Nutritional variety is not only the spice of life, it’s critical for a balanced and healthy immune response -- and for keeping your pet allergy-free.

Related Links:

Allergies and Skin Problems … What Can You do to Help Your Itchy Pet?
How to Eliminate Annoying Litter Box Problems
Three Simple Sure Fire Strategies to Optimize Your Pet’s Health

The Best and Worst Foods for Your Pet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ZeNLUEHKY
Hello this is Dr. Karen Becker and by popular demand, today’s video is on “Best to Worst Foods for Your Dogs and Cats.” When I lecture and when I go over the list of the best-to-worst foods, there are 13 foods on my list. It’s interesting because what you’re feeding your pet is going to fall into one of those 13 categories. I don’t want you to beat yourself up when you go over the list. Invariably, one or two things happen.

There are people who are feeding the food that they would prefer to not feed but they economically can’t afford to feed a different food or people simply don’t know. If you’re feeding a food on the lower half of the list or poor quality foods, don’t beat yourself up. The goal is to strive to feed a better food once you know or can afford to do so.
So, everyone will fall on the list somewhere and just decide where you are in the list and then of course the goal is to always do better for your pets and feed them better foods that are more species-appropriate in a nourishing manner for them.

What You Need to Know about Diet
So, as a proactive veterinarian at my practice, I always encourage my clients to evaluate diet because diet obviously is the foundation of health. But, pertaining to diet, there are two very important critical factors that everyone needs to evaluate when it comes to what foods they’re nourishing their pets with. Foods have the ability to heal or foods have the ability to harm and depending on what you’re feeding your pet, foods can do
both of those things.

Your Pets Need Species-Appropriate Foods
First important factor is to evaluate species-appropriateness for dogs and cats. A species-appropriate diet contains high protein. Both dogs and cats are carnivores as well as high moisture.
Moisture content is very important for dog and cat foods because denying dogs and cats adequate moisture leads to a whole host of biological problems particularly with cats but it can cause organ dysfunction including kidney disease because dogs and cats were designed to eat a diet that contained about 70% moisture – that’s what mice and rabbits contain. And when we feed dogs and cats an entirely dry food diet, that’s about 12% moisture. Dogs and cats live in a state of chronic mild dehydration that ultimately can cause organ stress.
So species-appropriateness is high protein, high moisture and low starch. Another word that we use for starch is “grains” or “carbohydrates.” So, corn, wheat, rice and soy are all carbohydrates that are not biologically necessary for dogs and cats to consume. We recommend that you follow what nature intended and feed them everything that they do need and try to eliminate those foods that are biologically unnecessary for dogs and cats to eat.

Pet Foods have to be balanced
Second important point to consider when you’re thinking about how and what to feed your pets, it’s very important that you feed your pets a balanced diet. When I say the word “balanced,” I mean not guessing that it’s approved in terms of meeting all vitamin, mineral and nutrient levels but guaranteed to meet your pet’s basic vitamin, mineral and nutrient levels through testing. It’s very important that foods are balanced.
If you’re guessing, then chances are the foods are not balanced and nutritional deficiencies happen much faster in dogs and cats than in people. So, a growing puppy and kitten can end up with nutritional deficiencies and obvious signs of organ degeneration or skeletal problems between two and six months after a deficient diet. Dogs and cats can have life-threatening, organ degeneration as adult dogs two to three years (or cats) after feeding a nutrient-deficient diet. So, the foods have to be balanced.

The List of Best to Worst Foods
Here we go. No. 1 on the list – the best food you can ever pick for your dog and cat is a balanced, raw, homemade diet. Balanced meaning nutritionally complete and you know that to be true because you’re following a recipe that is proven to be nutritionally complete such as the recipe book you can buy at MercolaHealthyPets.com.
Raw – meaning unadulterated or unprocessed. It’s very important that raw foods contain vitamins, minerals and nutrients that have been unadulterated and when you process foods, those raw enzymes and nutrients have been destroyed and the downside is, they’re not delivered up the food chain to your pet.
Homemade diets are some of the best options you can pick because you are in full control of the quality of ingredients that are found in your food. We also recommend a lot of variety and the great thing about you doing a homemade diet is that whatever fruits and veggies are in season or whatever meats you happen to come across that are on sale or you are able to locate, you can use them in rotation which provides really good variety for the animals that you are providing those foods for.

Second best food on the list is a commercially available raw food diet. Now, commercially available raw food diets are raw food diets of course that someone else has done the hard work and made them for you. It is important that they’re balanced, which means there are a lot of raw food diets that are coming out in the market that are not yet proven to be nutritionally complete.
You’ll know if the raw food is balanced because right on the bag, which you find in the freezer section of your upscale pet boutique. Unfortunately right now, there are not a lot of raw foods that are offered in big box pet stores but you will be able to find commercially available raw foods both online that you can purchase as well as some of the upscale pet boutiques that may be in your area. It will say right on the bag, “this food has been proven to be nutritionally complete or adequate for all life stages.” And that’s very important.

Third food on the list in terms of best to worst foods is a cooked, balanced, homemade diet. It’s the exact same thing as no. 1 but it’s just cooked, which means some of the nutrient composition has been diminished because of processing.

Fourth best food you can feed is a human-grade canned food. If it doesn’t say that the ingredients in the product are human-grade, then they are not. So, you’ll know that human-grade canned foods are human-grade because it’s very clear and you’ll also know by the price.
This particular food item is the most expensive food item you can feed your dog or cat. It’s very expensive and what I tell my clients is ‘if you have more money than time, you can purchase a human-grade canned food for your dog or cat. If you have more time than money, most people end up making their own balanced homemade diet because it is quite a bit cheaper.

No. 5 on the list is a human-grade dry food. Take note that dry food is coming in 5th on the list, which means we know that it is not as species-appropriate as a moisture-dense diet. Human grade is very important because that means it is approved in theory for human consumption, it’s not made with rendered by-products.

No. 6 on the list is super premium canned foods. Super premium canned foods can be purchased at big box stores like Pet Co and Pet Smart.

No. 7 on the list is super premium dry foods.

No. 8 on the list is veterinary-recommended canned foods. Veterinary-recommended canned foods are purchased from your veterinarian. These are brands like Science Diet, the Purina veterinary lines, Royale Canin and Waltham -- are all veterinary- types of canned foods that fall into that no. 8 category.

No. 9 is veterinary-recommended dry foods.

No. 10 is grocery store brand canned foods.

No. 11 is grocery store dry foods.

No. 12 , which is bottom of the list, is the semi-moist pouched foods. The reason that I do not recommend that you feed your dog and cat semi-moist pouched foods is because these foods do not come in a can. They come in a package. And when you open the seal, the food is soft and chewy.
If you read the back of the bag of semi-moist pouched foods, you will find that it contains an ingredient called Propylene Glycol. Propylene Glycol is a scary ingredient that is approved in the pet food industry. It’s the 2nd cousin to antifreeze, which is Ethylene Glycol. Propylene Glycol is unhealthy for your pets to eat and we do not recommend that you feed any foods that contain Propylene Glycol.

Bottom of the list – worst foods you can feed your pet is an unbalanced homemade diet, either raw or cooked. I see this unfortunately in my practice, where people throw their dogs and cats a chicken breast with some veggies and call it a day. And as much as that is homemade, it is nutritionally unbalanced and I do see skeletal issues and organ degeneration come about from not meeting pets’ calcium, mineral, trace mineral and omega-fatty acid requirements by guessing what a balanced diet is.

Fix the Worst Food to Become the Best Food for Your Pets
Here’s what’s interesting: the worst food on the list, being a homemade, unbalanced diet can so easily be remedied by simply following an approved recipe that you can go from feeding the worst unbalanced food on the list to be the best, which is no. 1 – a balanced, homemade, raw food diet in a matter of just a few minutes by simply adding in the necessary ingredients to make the food balanced. So, that’s a quick, easy and simple fix when it comes to correcting an unbalanced diet to a balanced diet pretty quickly.

There you have it – the entire list of the best to worst foods. If you’re on the lower half of the list, make it your goal to work up the list. If you’re at the top of the list, you can pat yourself on the back and know that you’re doing the best that you can by providing species-appropriate nutrition for the animals that you’re caring for.

Attachments

• AllergyCycle.jpg
    AllergyCycle.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 64
Third food on the list in terms of best to worst foods is a cooked, balanced, homemade diet. It’s the exact same thing as no. 1 but it’s just cooked, which means some of the nutrient composition has been diminished because of processing.

Warning! If you cook the meat you give your cats, it destroys the taurine. Cats cannot make their own (as we do), and will go blind without it. And raw meat is the only natural source of taurine.

I don't know about dogs, but I think they are more like us in this regard.

FireShadow said:
Warning! If you cook the meat you give your cats, it destroys the taurine. Cats cannot make their own (as we do), and will go blind without it. And raw meat is the only natural source of taurine.

I've heard this, but I have to say that my cat lived over 21 years and never went blind and she never had raw meat in her life. It's not that I specifically didn't feed her raw meat, I was just unaware that it was advised to do so. Anyway, clearly not all cats go blind without it - so I'd take that idea with a grain of salt.

anart said:
FireShadow said:

I've heard this, but I have to say that my cat lived over 21 years and never went blind and she never had raw meat in her life. It's not that I specifically didn't feed her raw meat, I was just unaware that it was advised to do so. Anyway, clearly not all cats go blind without it - so I'd take that idea with a grain of salt.

I originally studied up on cat nutrition about 11 years ago after losing a cat to feline leukemia and wanting to prevent health problems in my other cats. I primarily got my information from Dr. Pitcairn's Book and one by Yarnell.

Both said that
a)cats were obligate carnivores because of the taurine issue,
b)they do not produce it them selves
c)it is naturally found in raw meats and
d)that cooking destroys that taurine.

They said that most commercial cat food has it added in since (what meat there is in commercial catfood) has been cooked.

On a side note, right after I began to feed a fresh raw diet, my sister called to tell me that I should not feed homemade food as she just saw a news article on a cat that went blind after being fed a homemade diet. She thinks it was where someone had cooked the meats they fed their cat and she was afraid I was doing the same thing. I cannot say how reliable the news article was as I did not see it.

After reading your post, I thought my information may be out of date, so I googled it and came up with the following:

An excerpt from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine)

Taurine is an essential dietary requirement for feline health, since cats cannot synthesize the compound. The absence of taurine causes a cat's retina to slowly degenerate, causing eye problems and (eventually) irreversible blindness — a condition known as central retinal degeneration (CRD),[62][63] as well as hair loss and tooth decay. Decreased plasma taurine concentration has been demonstrated to be associated with feline dilated cardiomyopathy.[64] Unlike CRD, the condition is reversible with supplementation. Taurine is now a requirement of the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) and any dry or wet food product labeled approved by the AAFCO should have a minimum of 0.1% taurine in dry food and 0.2% in wet food.[65]

This excerpt from AllExperts (http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cat-Food-3490/taurine.htm)

Dark poultry meat, such as turkey and chicken contain high amounts of taurine, so you're on the right track. Cooking depletes the amount of bio-available nutrients and taurine content, as well as helpful enzymes that aid in digestion. I would offer the meat raw or very gently seared.

And this article from Vetlord (http://www.vetlord.org/taurine-is-essential-for-cats/):

For cats, unlike most other mammals, taurine is an essential amino acid, meaning that cats can not synthesize their own taurine from other building block amino acids as can dogs and even humans. Thus it is essential that cats take in adequate taurine in their diet on a regular basis.

With prolonged deficiencies of taurine, cats can develop central retinal degeneration,resulting in blindness. Dilated cardiomyopathy is another real risk. In this condition, the heart dilates, its walls become thinner and weaker, making the heart less effective and resulting in a form of heart failure.

It is considered fact at this point that cats do require taurine. It is even fairly widely agreed upon that cats should consume 1000mg (1 gm) or taurine per 2.2 lbs of food. The discussion begins with the question – Is my cat getting enough with the diet that I am feeding??

It turns out that this question is more difficult to answer than might at first be thought. We know that taurine is supplied almost exclusively by meat and seafood. Vegetables contain little to no measurable taurine as a group. Taurine is broken down by heat, thus, cooking meat will destroy over half to maybe 2/3 of the taurine that was available raw. It is difficult to calculate the amount of taurine actually supplied by a particular diet given the variables- baking vs boiling meat results in losing different amounts of taurine, meat from the chicken leg has much more taurine than that from the breast, and the list of variables goes on and on.

Did you cook your cat's food yourself, or did you feed a commercial cat food? If you cooked it, perhaps cooking did not destroy all of the taurine in your cat's diet. Or, if you fed commercial cat food, perhaps it was added in. Or, maybe your cat had a low requirement for taurine. Or, all the experts I have read are mistaken, I don't know. I cannot tell by my cats as I have always fed commercial catfood or fresh raw diet. My 7 lovely felines seem well and healthy.

This is a good U-tube and information to the "Top 5 Diseases You Can Get from Your Pet".........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4TkyMzVYyE&feature=player_embedded

Dr. Karen Becker describes some common disease-carrying parasites that can be transmitted from your dog or cat to the human members of your family.

Zoonotic diseases, or zoonoses, are diseases that can be transmitted from animals to people and from people to animals.

There are five zoonoses I want to talk about today, and these five are normally passed from animals to people rather than the reverse. These five diseases are relatively common and can be acquired from your puppy or kitten, or adult dog or cat.

The primary means of contamination for these diseases is understood to be fecal-oral, but this obviously applies to the way in which your pet acquires the infection rather than the manner in which the disease is transmitted from your pet, to you. People pick up these infections in a variety of other ways, which I’ll discuss shortly.

#1: Hookworm

Hookworms are primarily transmitted fecal-orally to animals. Your pet may eat contaminated feces or dirt, or he might run through contaminated soil, then lick his paws and ingest the eggs in that manner.

Fortunately, since people aren’t coprophagic, meaning we don’t consume feces, that’s not how we acquire a hookworm infection. Instead, we pick up the eggs or larvae on our skin from soil contaminated by infected wild animal or pet poop.

These microscopic parasites aren’t visible to the naked eye, so looking down as you wander barefoot around your yard or garden won’t help!

To prevent a hookworm infestation, it’s important to get rid of any potentially infective feces from wild or stray animals around your property that might tempt your dog or a barefoot two-legged member of your family. It’s also a good idea to keep your pet away from the poop of other animals while you’re walking or hiking outdoors.

Puppies and kittens can acquire hookworm from their mother’s milk, if the nursing mom has an infestation.

In people, the common route of hookworm infection is through skin. Hookworm larvae have the ability to penetrate human skin - not a pleasant thought, I know, but true!

A rash typically forms at the site where the hookworm larva penetrates the skin. The most common area for a rash is on the feet of a person who has walked barefoot in sand or soil containing hookworm larva.

People who garden without gloves and handle contaminated soil will notice a rash on their hands if they’ve been infected.

It’s also possible to acquire a hookworm skin infection in the form of a “traveling rash.” If you’ve been exposed to possibly contaminated soil and you have a mysterious rash moving around on your skin, your doctor will be able to determine if you’ve picked up a hookworm infection.

Hookworm infection in your pet can’t be taken lightly. A puppy or kitten who acquires hookworms can become lethargic, weak, malnourished and anemic. It isn’t uncommon for young pets to die from such an infestation.

Infected adult dogs and cats may show symptoms of poor appetite and weight loss.

#2: Roundworms

Roundworms are large, and spaghetti-like in appearance. And they can create a full-blown infestation in your pet before you know they’re there.

By the time you see signs of roundworms in your dog’s or cat's feces or vomit, he’s overrun with them. Don’t count on seeing roundworms or hookworms to alert you to an infestation. If you suspect your pet has been exposed, you should collect a stool sample and drop it by your vet’s office for analysis....................................

This site seems to be the most informative, and condensed on the topic of ear mite removal. I am curious if anyone has tried any of these, and how effective they might be?

_http://www.rochesterpetpages.com/how-to-use-natural-home-remedies-for-cats-with-ear-mites/

The safest approach is the natural treatment with no chemicals. This is not the easiest way, but is the safest alternative to chemical products. Clean your cat’s ears with one tablespoon of Olive Oil and 1 capsule of Vitamin E combined. (Poke the capsule and pour the gel in with the olive oil)

Use an equal amount in a syringe and squirt in the cat’s ears and spread it out. Wait for five minutes, massage base of the ear with your thumb and forefinger and then wipe out the mite debris with a cotton swab. Repeat this process daily for seven days.

The Olive Oil smothers the mites and the Vitamin E heals the ears. Another treatment is by using white vinegar and water. Dilute solution to half and half. Use one teaspoon in a dropper or syringe in each ear. Cup your hand around the base of your kitty’s ear, and massage the base of her ear with your thumb and forefinger.

Use cotton swabs to wipe out the mite debris. Use this for seven days and then stop for seven days. WARNING: Do not use this method if the ears are red and swollen or have any open wounds.

Garlic and Olive Oil combined are great for treating ear mites. Crush garlic and soak it overnight in warm olive oil. Throw away the clove and warm up the olive oil. Add 5 drops to each ear for 21 days. This remedy also smothers the ear mites.

My favorite is Aloe and Calendula essential oils. They are very soothing to the kitty’s ears and have worked wonders for getting rid of the ear mites. Both oils are available at your local health food store. Add several drops to the kitty’s ears once daily for 21 days. The oils have a healing effect so if your kitty has inflamed or painful ears, this will help.

These are the best remedies for cats with ear mites and now you can choose the conventional or the holistic approach. Your cat will feel much better and she will love you for it.

I would like to try the Garlic, and olive oil, but i wonder if it is safe for a kitten?

I don't think the garlic and olive oil would be harmful to a kitten. This remedy is popular and has been used 'forever' as a cure for ear aches in the Middle East. I can attest to its effectiveness, but never tried it on a cat. :)

This Peninsula company's new drug is the cat's meow — the FDA says so
May 7, 2018, 1:43pm PDT
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2018/05/07/kindred-bio-mirataz-kin-cats-weight-loss.html
A drug initially developed as an antidepressant in humans was approved Monday by the Food and Drug Administration as a treatment for weight loss in cats.

The regulator's approval of Mirataz, an ointment applied to a cat's inner ear once a day, is the first drug approved for Burlingame's Kindred Biosciences Inc. (NASDAQ: KIN). It also is the first transdermal drug approved by the FDA for cats.

Wall Street's reaction was a barely audible meow, with the stock rising as much as 35 cents per share from Friday's close of $9.70. It closed Monday at $9.55.

But Kindred leaders say veterinarians already want to place orders for Mirataz because the ointment offers more-accurate dosing and is easier for pet owners to give to their cats.

Known generically as mirtazapine, the pill form of the drug was developed in The Netherlands and introduced in the United States in 1996 as a treatment for depression in humans. One of the side effects of the drug, though, is appetite stimulation, which leads to weight gain............:huh:

Veterinarians took notice and began prescribing the pill for cats that are sick and losing weight. The problem is, pet owners must cut those pills, collect their cat and fight to get a piece of pill down the animal's throat.

"And then the cat runs away and hides under the bed," said Kindred co-founder and CEO Richard Chin. "The compliance is extremely low."
Mirataz, instead, is applied to a cat's inner ear, where it is absorbed into the bloodstream.

"Weight loss is the No. 1 reason cats go into the vet," Chin said. "You do have to treat the underlying illness, but if you don't treat the loss of appetite, they will lose weight and go into liver failure and die........:huh: If you can get them to eat again, they'll often bounce back for months or years."

Kindred did not say how much it will charge — co-founder and Chief Operating Officer Denise Bevers said Mirataz's price will be revealed on a conference call Tuesday. What's more, Chin said, most pet owners pay out of pocket and are increasingly willing to spend for their pets' health.

"We're thrilled, and so is the FDA," Bevers said.

About 9 million cats suffer from appetite loss, she said, but only 3 million are treated.
"For our commercial team, it's really a dream," Bevers said. "Vets are familiar with the drug, but they needed accuracy of dosing."

The pill form of mirtazapine is off-patent, so it costs only pennies, but Kindred leaders are betting that pet owners will pay up for getting an accurately dosed, easy-to-deliver drug into pets. At the same time, veterinarians can sell directly to pet owners rather than sending those consumers to a pharmacist with the human drug.

At the same time, Chin said, while animal health drugs bring in about 10 times less revenue than human drugs, pet therapies cost 100 times less to develop.

Mirataz is 85-employee Kindred's first drug approval, but it expects the FDA to rule on another of its drugs — a treatment for fever in horses — this summer.

The company, which netted $58 million in a spring 2014 initial public offering and reported $82 million in cash at the end of last year, has a portfolio of 20 drugs in development, including antibodies for animals.
"That's the future of veterinary medicine," Bevers said.

Только что ушла от нас в 5 плотность наша кошечка Сюся. 18 лет она была членом нашей семьи. Последний год она уже сильно болела, перенесла 2 инсульта, ослепла. Нам будет ее не хватать.

Translation
Our cat Susa left us to a 5 density just now. She was a member of our family for 18 years. Last year she was very sick, suffered 2 strokes, went blind. We will miss her.

Pour les rhumatismes, suivant l'avis d'un ostéopathe vétérinaire pour mes petits Yorks je leur donne depuis 2 ans environ ce médicament Rhumatyl de chez Boiron donc Homéopathie et ils ne boitent plus ni l'un (7ans) ni l'autre (18 ans) :

For rheumatism, following the advice of a veterinary osteopath for my little Yorks, I have been giving them this rheumatyl medicine from Boiron for about 2 years now, so Homeopathy and they no longer limp either (7 years) or (18 years):

Back
Top Bottom