Peaceful Warrior

Zadius Sky

The Living Force
Not sure if you've seen the recent movie, "Peaceful Warrior."

I've watched this movie a couple of weeks ago, and it was only showing in one theater in my area at the time. It seems that the critics didn't apprecate it or somewhat, I'm not sure.

This movie is showing a part of the book, "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" by Dan Millman. I liked the book, as it causes a change in one's perception of things.

Here's the summary for the movie:

Arrogant, talented Dan Millman seems to have the perfect college life: a stunning gymnast's body of incredible strength, handsome looks, good grades, plenty of money and a shot at the Olympic qualifiers in men's gymnastics. Still, Dan wakes up almost nightly from terrifying nightmares and odd visions he can't explain or dismiss. One night, awakened by yet another nightmare, Dan goes for a run through his foggy neighborhood and comes upon a well-lit service station. Behind the counter, an old man seemingly moves without regard for space or time. One moment, Dan is paying for his snacks, the next the old man is on the roof of the station. Stunned by the impossibility, Dan begs the old man, whom he instinctually names Socrates, to share the secret of his abilities in order to achieve his goal of Olympic Gold. The old man puts him through a regimen that changes his diet, training, and lifestyle. Before long, his life is ruined, and he loses his friends, his girls, and is almost thrown off his Gymnastics squad. Thus begins a journey of discovery for Dan that will shatter every preconceived notion he has about academics, athletics, and achievement, Guided by Socrates, Dan will consider a whole new ideology--one that values consciousness over intelligence, strength in spirit over strength in body. But in order to succeed, Dan must somehow let go of all of his expectations--and simply live in the now.

What's your input on this?

I want to recommend every one to watch this movie because it's very powerfull and instructive. It's a true story and it was made on the book Way of a Peacful Warrior by Dan Millman and it's one of very rare movies that deals with spiritual growth and work on yourself. Movie isn't really fully true because of make up all movies have and they are short versions of the books, so I will write something about the book, but recently I don't have time so it will have to wait, but the book is really much better then the movie and more truthfull.
Soc in the movie was a true mentor who experienced many things and he wasn't talking just like many, like Boris Mouravieff and Guirdijeff.

This is a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsS3cXGs2GQ

Short version of movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7MNB7zjBXk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9nu-SOJi7Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg8x_40QG-o&feature=related

I've read the book, Way of the Peaceful Warrior, and agree, it does have value and is worth reading. I doubt it's on the level of Mouravieff and Gurdjieff. I look forward to viewing the movie, though. The book came to my attention in a serendipitous way and was an important step in my spiritual journey. I had a spiritual mentor who was much like "Socrates" in the book. Socrates seemed to have powers similar to Gurdjieff. I'm pretty sure Dan Millman says that some parts of his story were fictionalized, but nevertheless, it's powerful. There's nothing about psychopathy in the book or pathology--major aspects of reality that are necessary to cut through the matrix.

dannybananny said:
I want to recommend every one to watch this movie because it's very powerfull and instructive. It's a true story and it was made on the book Way of a Peacful Warrior by Dan Millman and it's one of very rare movies that deals with spiritual growth and work on yourself.

Thanks for the recommendation :) the trailer looked good and I really liked the song it played.
Here it is, if anyone else wants to listen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbP0c9TZfzM

There's nothing about psychopathy in the book or pathology--major aspects of reality that are necessary to cut through the matrix.

Yes, that's true it's only about work on yourself but there are many ways of serving others, Soc didn't talk about reality, I doubt he didn't know that but he had different technique of helping, maybe he thought it's better to find one student and help him and so on. Because if you give 100% focus on someone he will grow faster, but Gurdjieff talked to people who would listen, he didn't give individual focus and some didn't understand what he was talking but has also helped some people to understand reality, and his work is of great value. He didn't experience everything he talked about, so there is Soc saying embody what you teach and teach what you embody. Gurdjieff had powers but he was naive to think you can change world and he did realize that, like Nikola Tesla who was smart men but naive person. They all wanted to help and were STO, but they had different ways of helping. ;) That's my opinion. This movie was what I needed to awake.
I'am looking for the book Journey of Socrates but can't find pdf format. The prelude of book says his name was Sergei Ivanov and he was also in Tsar army.

Thanks for the recommendation Smiley the trailer looked good and I really liked the song it played.
Here it is, if anyone else wants to listen

Yes, the music is great, this song is really great and this one: ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTDaHxiLB30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_2Av8JjlI&feature=related

dannybananny said:
I want to recommend every one to watch this movie because it's very powerfull and instructive. It's a true story and it was made on the book Way of a Peacful Warrior by Dan Millman and it's one of very rare movies that deals with spiritual growth and work on yourself.

Hi Dannybananny

I haven't seen the film but would certainly recommend this book which had a profound effect on me. My forum name Pai is named after the place in Northern Thailand where I read this book. As you say, the themes are mainly about spiritual development, work on the self and the illusions and self delusions which we create for ourselves and how it's possible to break free from these. But more than that, I found the message ultimately to be about the illusion of death and the absurdity of the widely held notion that Death is the end. The last chapter of the book deals with the death of the mentor character and the manner in which the author presented this really blew me away.

It is certainly the only book I've ever read that made me cry at the end and upon finishing it I passed into a mental state totally unlike anything I've ever known: just one of complete contentedness. I sat in a cafe drinking ginger tea for about 2 hours, during which I just felt a physical and emotional bliss that was quite indescribable. My internal monologue was completely silenced and the only impression I was left with was that the universe was infinite and there was a purpose for everything. It was truly the most beautiful thing I've ever experienced. I was also very conscious that this state of mind would not last as I could patently see that it would be impractical and impossible to spend the rest of my life in such a state of bliss. As I say, it lasted for about 2 hours and if I had one question for the C's it would be what exactly happened to me during this time.

Having said that I re-read the book for the second time recently and whilst I found it enjoyable and certainly insightful in places, it is admittedly quite simplistic and actually quite cheesy overall. Members here of the forum who are as far into 'The work' as they are will probably find it as such. And I didn't shed a single tear at the end the second time. Of course Dan Millman is now firmly embedded in the 'New Age' set and spend his time roaming the globe charging 'seekers' hundreds of pounds to listen to him impart his wisdom and help them 'spiritually grow' and this should be bourne in mind.

There's nothing about psychopathy in the book or pathology--major aspects of reality that are necessary to cut through the matrix.

Hi Yossarian

I don't think that this takes away from the value of the book and it really needs to be judged on its own merits. There are many books, films and experiences in life that do not concern themselves with all or even some of the issues on this forum which can still be beneficial to our growth and development as humans. One of the key ideas in the book is the one of 'no ordinary moments' and I've always believed that people can have valuable and even 'objective' insights even in the most mundane moments such as an interaction buying cigarrettes from the shop. The fact that the book does not deal with Pathology or psychopathy does not take away from the value of its message about the importance on the work on ones own self and the challenging of belief systems. As you say though, I think it is one of those books that can potentially be eye-opening early on in one's spiritual journey. :)

Pai Wrote
Hi Yossarian

I don't think that this takes away from the value of the book and it really needs to be judged on its own merits. There are many books, films and experiences in life that do not concern themselves with all or even some of the issues on this forum which can still be beneficial to our growth and development as humans. One of the key ideas in the book is the one of 'no ordinary moments' and I've always believed that people can have valuable and even 'objective' insights even in the most mundane moments such as an interaction buying cigarrettes from the shop. The fact that the book does not deal with Pathology or psychopathy does not take away from the value of its message about the importance on the work on ones own self and the challenging of belief systems. As you say though, I think it is one of those books that can potentially be eye-opening early on in one's spiritual journey. Smiley

Dear Pai and All,

I included the "disclaimer" about Psychopathy because of the discussion on this thread on Eckhart Tolle ("The Power of Now" and "The New Earth" of Oprah Winfrey fame) http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=8305.0 where the consensus was that Tolle is likely some form of distraction or "cointelpro" and that I admitted and came to the realization that only through a knowledge and understanding of Psychopathy and related characteropathies--and I would add--hyperdimensional realities--can one ever truly "awaken" and break through the lies and fog of the "matrix."

Also, I might add, that fairly widespread knowledge of these facts is needed, I think, if we're ever to, society wide, rebuild a way of "being" together that prevents the never ending cycle of psychopathic domination and mass misery and death--the pyramid (as so grossly depicted on the dollar bill, I might add).

I have seen the movie a couple of years ago and brought it up here.

After reading the book a couple of times, I was only slightly disappointed at the movie because they only took "first half" from the book into the movie, but the story itself is consistent and well done as I did enjoyed the film. I would certainly recommend the book, along with Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior and The Journeys of Socrates. It was Millman's book that brought me to become "Spiritual Warrior," fighting for my aim, long before I've found Cass material.

dannybananny said:
It's a true story and it was made on the book Way of a Peacful Warrior by Dan Millman and it's one of very rare movies that deals with spiritual growth and work on yourself.

I am just not sure about it being a "true" story. Thinking back from reading this book and reading about Socrates, I was reminded of Carlos Casteneda books where "Don Juan" was a "composite of several people" as C's pointed out. But, when I read it back in 2004 or so, I immediately was reminded of Taoist Immortals referring to Socrates.

The most interesting thing is reading about Socrates being "disappeared," (from pages 205 - 206):

Socrates rose from his chair and aligned his mug carefully on the desk, next to mine. I looked at his hand. It was shining, glowing brighter than ever before.

"I'm feeling very strange," he said in a tone of surprise. "I think I have to go."

"Is there anything I can do?" I said, thinking he had an upset stomach.

"No." Gazing into space as if the room and I no longer existed, he walked slowly to the door marked "Private," pushed it open, and stepped inside.

I wonder if he'd be all right. I sensed that our time in the mountains had drained him, yet he was shining now as never before. As usual, Socrates didn't make sense.

I sat there on the couch and watched the door, waiting for his return. I yelled through the door, "Hey, Socrates, you're glowing like a lightning bug tonight. Did you eat an electric for dinner? I much have you over for dinner this Christmas; you'd make a wonderful decoration for my tree."

I thought I saw a flash of light under the crack in the door. Well, a blown lightbulb hasten his business. "Soc, are you going to spend all evening in there? I thought warriors didn't get constipated."

Five minutes passed, then ten. I sat holding his prized journal in my hands. I called him, then called again, but I was answered by silence. Suddenly I knew; it wasn't possible, but I knew it had happened.

I leaped to my feet and ran to the door, pushing it open so hard it struck the tile wall with a metallic clang that echoed hollowly in the empty bathroom. I remembered the flash of light, minutes ago. Socrates had walked, glowing, into this bathroom, and disappeared.

While reading through the C's sessions a couple of years ago, I came across a certain part of one session that drew me to the "disappearance" of Socrates:

January 14, 1995

Q: (L) So, I guess that once you get to STO natural factors, the nature of that position is that you just simply don't... it just doesn't happen.
A: Now, blockbuster for you: 3rd level beings who reach total STO profile automatically and instantaneously go to 4th level at moment achieved!
Q: (T) They just vanish? Have people done that before here?
A: Yes.
Q: (F) Yeah, I've heard of that. (T) Sure, people disappear that all the time. (L) Well, I don't think it happens that often, but I think it happens... (F) It has
happened. (J) People disappear and you never hear what happened to them. (F) There have been cases where people have suddenly vanished, where a flash
of light has just hit them and Poof!
(T) Like spontaneous combustion... (F) No... (J) Not spontaneous combustion because the body is left behind. (F) There
have been cases where people were actually sitting with other people and suddenly everybody present suddenly sees a blinding flash of light and that person is
Spffft! Gonzeroni! (L) Gonzeroni? (F) Once and for all! (T) I want to ask this question, if it has already been asked, somebody stop me, what is the total STO
profile? (L) Total lack of concern for self.
A: Yes.

Above session made me think of Socrates having "achieved" total STO profile. That is, if he ever existed.

Pai said:
As you say though, I think it is one of those books that can potentially be eye-opening early on in one's spiritual journey. :)

Indeed, it certainly did opened my eyes in my case. :)

Myrddin Awyr said:

Since both topics are talking about the same movie, the topics have been merged.

dannybananny said:
I'am looking for the book Journey of Socrates but can't find pdf format. The prelude of book says his name was Sergei Ivanov and he was also in Tsar army.

The Journeys of Socrates is really a good book, and it ties together the background of Socrates. When Socrates "disappeared," he left behind his journal, along with Millman's research based on clues from the journal, to put together this book. It's really interesting, actually. Millman discovered that "Socrates" was his great-grandfather and didn't realized that before. It might explain why Socrates "chose" Millman to teach. (Sorry for spoilers if one hadn't read the mentioned book).

Myrddin Awyr said:
dannybananny said:
It's a true story and it was made on the book Way of a Peacful Warrior by Dan Millman and it's one of very rare movies that deals with spiritual growth and work on yourself.
I am just not sure about it being a "true" story. Thinking back from reading this book and reading about Socrates, I was reminded of Carlos Casteneda books where "Don Juan" was a "composite of several people" as C's pointed out. But, when I read it back in 2004 or so, I immediately was reminded of Taoist Immortals referring to Socrates.

Just for clarity I checked out both IMDB and Wikipedia, and neither site said anything about the movie being based on a "true story". So I believe it is fiction, but none the less it seems to be a great one :)

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaceful_Warrior
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way_of_the_Peaceful_Warrior <(about the author)

Then you are looking for attention, congrats. ;D

I did enjoy the book and it had a profound effect on me, which is not necessarily a good thing. I enjoyed the chapters that explored gymnastics, fasting, raw food and self observation. I don't think the movie represented the book too well it came across as entry level esoterica/self-help, it didn't really capture what Socrates was trying to convey. I would recommend the book though to anyone who is searching.

I can also attest to the book being a good read. The movie was pretty good but didn't depict the story that's outlined in the book very well. Just kinda scratched the surface. As far as the authenticity goes, Dan Millman stated that it is based on true events and was mentored by a man he referred to as Socrates. However there is a slight twist of fiction throughout the book. His second book "sacred journey of the peaceful warrior" is the sequel to this one, and is also a good read as well.

Heres a synopsis for it:

Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior said:
After a period of training with the man he calls Socrates, Dan Millman is sent away by his old mentor to apply what he has learned to everyday life.

Struggling with personal failure and growing disillusion, he sets out on a worldwide quest to rediscover the sense of clarity, meaning, and purpose he found with Socrates. Then a long-forgotten memory drives Dan to seek a mysterious woman shaman in Hawaii. She is the gateway to all his hopes and fears- and the only one who can prepare him for what may follow.

Deep in a rain forest on the island of Molokai, Dan encounters mortal challenges, vivid character, and startling revelations as he ascends the peaceful warrior's path toward the light that shines at the heart of all our lives.

In this compelling tale the author breathes new life into ancient wisdom and reminds us that all our journeys are sacred, and all our lives an adventure."

EDIT: Just wanted to add a little snippet of dialogue from the Movie that I found particularly relevant and interesting:

The Peaceful Warrior said:
Dan Millman to Socrates: "What would you say if I told you that I keep seeing those shoes [Socrates' Shoes] in a dream I keep having?"
Socrates to Dan: "I'd say maybe you're still asleep...You can live a whole life-time without ever being awake."
Dan: "Hey Socrates! If you know so much how come you're working at a Gas-Station?"
Socrates: "This is a service station. We offer service. There's no higher purpose.
Dan: "Than pumping gas?"
Socrates: "Service To Others"

:)

I have just recently watched Peaceful Warrior and am thankful I did! It has inspired me to look at life through different eyes and given me a jolt too! If I am honest I have been going through the motions, uninspired and bored with my life; Peaceful Warrior has awakened me. At the start of the film it says, "Inspired by true events", I am now looking forward to reading Dan Millman's books.

Namaste,

Swooshy

Back
Top Bottom