Paul 'Psychic' Octopus

I

Infiniteness

Seems like we have a psychic octopus, wonder if he can predicts other things too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYv5rul11M

P.S Spain did win against Germany, so another correct prediction for Paul.

it's amazing how people is responding to this predictions. I have seen a lot of jokes, angry comments, etc But since this has become a world phenomena I think it is conditioning people to believe in fix futures. I believe maybe 4 th STS is behind of these predictions. Allegedly the octopus had done some mistakes but it is not given publicity when did so

Infiniteness said:
Seems like we have a psychic octopus, wonder if he can predicts other things too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJYv5rul11M

P.S Spain did win against Germany, so another correct prediction for Paul.

Thanks Infiniteness, it's pretty interesting. Picking up signals from human group psyche ?? , or time traveler? :P

[quote author=Galaxia2002]
[...]But since this has become a world phenomena I think it is conditioning people to believe in fix futures. [...]
[/quote]

Maybe you are right, only that it is not a prediction 10 year in advance but instead it is a very short termed prediction and although nothing is written in stone as you suggest, probabilities are higher and sometimes even precise when prediction is made over very short periods of time or the situation is passed the point where anything can be done for a change. ;)

Paul has an impressive track record of 8 correct predictions out of 8 attempts for the world cup

The probability for 8 correct predictions in a row is 1/2^8 = 1/256 = 0.0039 = 0.39%

...but he failed twice out of 6 predictions during the Euro.

I think the octopus is cute. But, I'm not so sure about how the whole "psychic" thing works out for him. But who really knows? Maybe wildlife is changing? We have psychic octopi, kung fu bears, cats that walk on their hind legs ( :P ).... And what else?

Lol! An octopus with a job. I've got one but I quite envy him... that seems to be real fun and no salad :P

Galaxia2002 said:
it's amazing how people is responding to this predictions. I have seen a lot of jokes, angry comments, etc But since this has become a world phenomena I think it is conditioning people to believe in fix futures. I believe maybe 4 th STS is behind of these predictions. Allegedly the octopus had done some mistakes but it is not given publicity when did so

I have to admit, I got a little cared away by the hype of it. Then I realized that we need more facts, to really see whether Paul is or isn't psychic.

Belibaste said:
Paul has an impressive track record of 8 correct predictions out of 8 attempts for the world cup

The probability for 8 correct predictions in a row is 1/2^8 = 1/256 = 0.0039 = 0.39%

...but he failed twice out of 6 predictions during the Euro.

My theory is that as a member of 2D, Paul might be more easily in tune with the vibrations coming from the near future, since after all linear time is just an illusion that works really well for us 3D STS types, but maybe not as well for others. So perhaps he finds the vibration of the image of a flag more attractive because the mass human consciousness of the near future makes it so. But because nothing is written in stone, and ultimately Paul only cares about food, he occasionally makes 'mistakes'. Don't quote me on this though. :cool:

While checking my mail, I stumbled on a French article about Paul. A scientist who tried to find a rational explanation for it (according to what he considers rational) said that Paul was able to see brighter colors more easily, therefore attracting him to the brightest flag.

But some of the other flags were even brighter than the ones he chose, so...

Just for an alternate theory....maybe the matches where fixed, and Paul is really the international signalling system for the betting ring? ;)

I'm sure many of you have heard about the octopus that has predicted the world soccer cup correctly all the way through eight matches. Chances of getting that right are 1 in 256 according to this article:

_http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/07/12/paul.octopus/index.html?eref=sircrc

(I would think the odds were more like 1 in 128 but I'm not a statistician)

Anyway... besides being a total distraction from more important concerns... it is rather interesting from the standpoint of what really happened.

Was Paul the Oracle Octopus picking up on the collective unconscious of humanity? Did he somehow understand what he was supposed to do - and did it?

Was it just octopus beginner's luck?

Was it faked - this would be my guess.

Octopi are supposedly pretty smart for invertebrates, (not as smart as the amazing Cuttlefish but still smart enough to solve puzzles like opening boxes etc.).

Hi Mark,

I have merged your post with this thread since it is about the same subject.

RedFox said:
Just for an alternate theory....maybe the matches where fixed, and Paul is really the international signalling system for the betting ring?

Yup... something like that is highly likely - considering the STS nature of this world at the current "time".

Back
Top Bottom