Pansychism and consciousness

I've watched it a few days ago. Sheldrake is a pleasure to listen to. I also like Donald Hoffman and his interface theory of reality. If you like Sheldrake, besides his lectures he has some interesting dialogues with Mark Vernon on Youtube.

As for panpsychism, regardless of the differences between its variants, overall I find it truly great that there are reputable people in science and philosophy defending or at least honestly exploring the idea that mind/consciousness is a fundamental aspect of reality. IMHO, any variant of panpsychism is much closer to the truth than "your mind is a byproduct of your brain". Panpsychism also aligns with the Cs framework, although their ontology can get quite complicated and I've never been able to fully understand it.

You might like this episode from MindMatters:

I think they continued the discussion in another video but I can't find it at the moment.

Some resources on panpsychism:

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Thanks, I think I remember that mind matters show, but will have another listen. I'll add his lectures and dialogues with Mark Vernon on Youtube to my to watch list too? thanks for the recommendation.

I agree, that this seems to be much closer to the C's framework, and as you say, there are scientists and philosophers who are exploring this :)

Seems to that pansychism is at the opposite end of the spectrum to material science. In this video they also talk about the differences between pantheism and panentheism, Process philosophy (as in Whitehead) and parapsychology

No worries, interesting little video for sure.

They mention a philosopher Arthur M Young, who they say took Whiteheads ideas even further!? Which sounds interesting indeed.
He (Young) also made the first commercially usable helicopter of all things. But it seems his larger passion was understanding consciousness.
Books recommended in previous video
The reflexive universe: Evolution of Consciousness 8, Arthur M. Young, Huston Smith - Amazon.com

I have just started watching a doco on him, the first [par of which is about the helicopter, but does show how his mind works. The philosophical stuff starts around the 20 minute mark.

Back
Top Bottom