PALEOLITHIC KETOGENIC DIET™

PALEOLITHIC KETOGENIC DIET™

etrend.png

Source of the image: http://www.beforethey.com/tribe/tsaatan

The history of the Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™

The ketogenic diet’s history over the last hundred years is closely intertwined with the history of the treatment of epilepsy. In 1921, at the Mayo Clinic, Russell Wilder was the first to use the ketogenic diet to treat people with epilepsy. In the 1920s and 1930s the use of the ketogenic diet spread, and at that time it was essentially the only treatment used for epilepsy patients in the United States. The first drug for epilepsy (phenytoin) was introduced in 1937, and with its release the ketogenic diet as a treatment option was pushed into the background.

The ketogenic diet’s rediscovery can be attributed to a Hollywood producer. In the early 90s, Jim Abrahams was searching for a cure for epilepsy, because his son’s epileptic seizures could not be controlled with standard medication. Abrahams found the answer in the ketogenic diet, a method used decades ago. His son became seizure-free, and Abrahams believed that the method could help other patients too. Abrahams then made a documentary, created a foundation, and wrote articles, all of which popularized the ketogenic diet. His oeuvre launched the second wave of the ketogenic diet, which doctors specializing in epilepsy later joined.

Currently, the Baltimore-based Johns Hopkins hospital is considered to be the center of the movement. From 2000 onwards, there have been attempts to find a balance between the efficiency and feasibility of newer versions of the ketogenic diet, such as the modified Atkins diet and low glycemic index diets. The ketogenic diet has also been used to treat other neurological diseases such as autism and migraine. Various institutions have successfully used the diet to treat medical disorders, such as Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes, obesity, and liver disease (Pérez-Guisado, 2007).

The Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™ is an animal fat and protein based diet. The first scientific study that used a diet close to the Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™ was published in 1930 (McClellan and Du Bois, 1930). Vilhjalmur Stefansson, an anthropologist and arctic traveller, was convinced that the Arctic Inuit people’s fat and meat-based diet was a nutritionally complete and healthy diet. To prove this, he and a fellow-traveller took part in a year-long study where they ate only animal fat and meat, without vitamin or mineral supplements. At the end of the year there were no signs of vitamin deficiencies or kidney problems in the subjects; they did not suffer fatigue, they were mentally alert, physically active, and showed no specific physical changes in any system of the body.

The reproduction of the Stone Age diet as the basic idea behind Paleolithic nutrition appeared first in gastroenterologist Walter L. Voegtlin’s book (Voegtlin, 1975). In his ambitious work of theoretical and practical bases, Voegtlin states that an animal meat-fat diet is considered to be the only diet that is a perfect fit for the physiological functioning of people. Voegtlin also states that raw vegetables should be completely excluded, and fermented vegetables can be eaten in moderation, while eating fruits is only acceptable if eaten in small amounts and not regularly. Nora Gedgaudas’s book, which integrates the latest scientific advances, also argues in favor of the animal fat-based Paleolithic diet (Gedgaudas, 2011).

The term “Paleolithic diet” originates from Loren Cordain. When Cordain created his ideal diet, he looked to naturally living peoples for inspiration. Cordain’s original idea was that the Paleolithic diet would be based on lean meat, fish, fruit and vegetables (Cordain, 2002). Less well known is the fact that Cordain had strong reservations about oilseeds and pseudograins.

Another major figure in developing the Paleolithic diet was Staffan Lindeberg, who was originally a family physician. He spent several years (I think he spent months not years in Kitava) in 1989 observing the diet of the natives on the island of Kitava, which is in the Pacific Ocean. He took these observations back to the Swedish people, and drew conclusions in favor of the Paleolithic diet (Lindeberg, 2009).

The Paleo diet quickly became popular in Hungary, partly due to the inefficient health care system and thus a need to integrate the Paleo approach into medicine came abouy. Due to the large number of patients that we have treated, we received feedback very quickly and that helped us refine the Paleolithic diet. Patient feedback was consistent and it pointed in the direction of Voegtlin’s original nutritional system. Voegtlin as a clinician drew the conclusion that we did: an animal meat-fat based diet that we call Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™ is the most effective tool for the treatment of the diseases of civilization.

Developing the Paleolithic Ketogenic diet has been a major milestone in nutritional science; using the Paleolithic Ketogenic diet has enabled us to reverse chronic internal diseases that are currently regarded as incurable.

Much has been published about healthy diets in general, however our work differs from most of these publications in that ours is based largely on clinical experience. Some of our results with the Paleolithic Ketogenic diet have been published at scientific forums. Moreover, our activities are not limited to clinical work only; we are also very involved in research. Much emphasis is placed on intestinal permeability, including its development and its reversal by diet.

As you can deduce from reading the above, the Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™ follows on from the work of several eminent scientists, physicians, medical anthropologists and biologists. The highly esteemed Paleomedicina center in Hungary is where we use the Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™ as a tool of evolutionary medicine.

Patent rights usually protect contents that are novel and relevant. The Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™, as a medical tool, is however not patentable according to the law, given that this is generally not permitted for curative methods to the human body. We are not sponsored by companies or businesses, nor do we want to get engaged with any market players in the future.

The Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™ is the intellectual property of Paleomedicina Hungary. It originates from the colleagues of Paleomedicina Hungary: Dr. Zsófia Clemens, brain researcher and biologist; and Dr. Csaba Tóth, physician.

If you have met us or been a patient of ours you may access the article on the Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™ free of charge. In this case, please send your request, along with your name and an identification number by e-mail to paleomedicina@gmail.com.

If you are interested in or need the precise description of the Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™ but have not met us, we ask you to contribute 30 EUR to our research work

You can pay with pressing the "Order" button.
Order
You will receive an automatic email with the codes to access the article on the Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™.

Your contribution is an acknowledgement of our work, which will also help us to accomplish our research aims. We hope that getting acquainted with the Paleolithic Ketogenic Diet™ will help you to recover from your disease.

Zsófia Clemens, PhD
Senior researcher
Paleomedicina Hungary

Therapeutic protocol of Paleomedicina Hungary

Therapeutic protocol of Paleomedicina Hungary
We have developed the PKD in 2010-2011. Previously we have been using the paleolithic diet which proved to be ineffective in the vast majority of chronic conditions. We believe that the PKD is the only evolutionary adapted diet for humans. Rehabilitation of chronic diseases is most effective when the diet is limited to our real physiological needs. Eating fruits and vegetables does not form part of our physiological need but are associated with risks. Plant foods can only be regarded as ”relatively” safe and only when certain plant food items are consumed and only in limited amounts. The diet was derived from clinical evidence and was not primarily influenced by archeological or ethnographic evidence, given that the application of the diet is clinical too. Altogether clinical experience was derived from about 4000 patients.

Csaba Tóth, Andrea Dabóczi, Mária Schimmer, Zsófia Clemens

PKD Questions and Answers - 1

Answers by Dr. Csaba Tóth (07.22.2020)

k%C3%A9k%20borit%C3%B3k%C3%A9p.jpg

Q1: Portion size control / understand how much food you need

Keep the 100:35 meat:fat ratio and eat when you are hungry. This is the most accurate way. Once you have learned the diet, the goal is not to weigh the food because that is not lifelike.

Q2: Is it possible to increase the amount of bone marrow and decrease the amount of fat instead?
Yes

Q3: Is non-flavored mead (honey, wine) allowed in the non-strict version? It's made from only water, honey and culture. Since honey allowed I presume only the latter (the fermentation agent) can be problematic. But some fermented food (like sauerkraut) is allowed, so it may not?
Wine is not supported.

Q4: I know we should avoid strong spices. How about a little herbs in our sausages like a pinch of coriander? Or parsley? Again if not on strictest protocol
Avoid them, they can increase intestinal permeability.

Q5: Are canned sardines (preserved in water and salt only) allowed?
In theory it may be OK. But don’t trust the food industry unconditionally. Also, there is nothing in sardines that is not to be found in grazing animals.

Q6: Is sauerkraut allowed, when feeling better?
Yes

Q7: What does the cocoa powder cause? Inflammation or leaky gut or other problems. Is 2-4 teaspoons of cocoa powder weekly total properly yet for a healthy person (like 1 cup of coffee daily)?
Avoid it entirely. It seriously increases intestinal permeability and results in inflammation.

Q8: My lamb carcass fat has branding on it...is that ok to eat, once fried? Or should I cut off the branding?

It's a matter of taste, I remove it.

Q9: 70% animal food 30% plant food is mentioned in PKD. Does that mean 30% of energy from plant foods?
No, it means volume.

Q10: I am concerned about getting enough calcium, but I presume PKD would not include a bone meal powder/supplement — so what are the best foods to eat to ensure adequate calcium intake? Thank you.
Don’t worry, PKD is the only healthy diet that contains all the necessary nutrients in the right amounts.

Q11: I know PM recommends salting food to taste. But I’m a salt addict and I over-salt my food. I can’t help it. It has always been the case. Is it compromising my health improvements? Should I force myself to reduce salt quantities? Thank you.
Use as much salt as you want.

Q12: Another salt question: is Real salt considered the same as Himalayan pink salt and should be avoided?
Sea salt is best, but rock salts are not bad either. It is important that it is free of additives.

Q13: Am I eating enough fat and organs? I eat beef from a grass finished cow I bought off a local farmer. All the fat, suet, and organs (heart, tongue, liver, thymus, pancreas) were added to the grinder with the beef for grinding into minced meat. When I cook the patties, the outside is crisp and inside raw. I use the bones for broth. No nutrition label comes with this. (I also eat 2 organic egg yolks and 1 can sardines per day. Carnivore for 10 months)
If you are in ketosis and if you follow the rules you will get enough nutrients. As far as offal is concerned, only the result of the laboratory test gives an answer.

Q14: Is it terribly, terrible bad to include some cheese every now and then?
Yes

Q15: Csaba, I saw you had previously said "That in the case of athletes, eat above necessity not to 2/1 but in 4/1." Could you elaborate on the science of athletes eating and PKD?
I have very little time, but if someone asks for this as a service, I will gladly prepare an eating plan.

Q16: Thank you for answering our food Questions Csaba Tóth. My type 1 diabetes antibodies are now negative and I require no medications. (I took insulin medication for 13 years GAD and 1A2 positive). I initially ate fatty beef and lamb only for the first 8 months then I added very occasional eggs wild seafood. I feel best eating beef and lamb. At what stage during healing it is a good idea to see if honey, occasional seasonal fruit and vegetables are suitable to add in small amounts?
Antibodies may be also present in healthy people. Their level does not tell much as regards disease activity. A laboratory test, including repeated C-peptide measurement are required to assess food "expansion".

Q17: When will the English Version of the cookbook be released and where can we purchase one?

We tare doing our best but we have a lot of other work too. I think it will be ready later this year.

Q18: What problems may arise from eating too much fat (e.g. beyond the ratio 2:1 F:P)?
Nausea, vomiting, headache, nausea, slowing down, hypothyroidism, fatigue, etc.

Q19: How careful should one be with cross contamination in a shared kitchen? For example if my fork just touches a vegetable or something and then I put it in my mouth without realising, will this hinder healing?
You don't have to worry about vegetables. Dairy products, grains and vegetable oils can be dangerous as a contamination source.

Q20: I finally thought of my food related question. I’ve seen in your slide presentations that you may have treated dogs in the past. My understanding is that dogs need a higher level of muscle meat. Can you give a brief outline of meat/offal/fat ratios?

The body of dogs works in almost the same way in terms of digestion as it does in humans. A few little things are different.

Q21: Does the calculation using 0.6-0.8g of protein per kg of body weight take the bioavailability of food into account? I recall loosing muscle due to a colitis flare although I ate sufficient or excess protein. Could a decreased absorption be a problem?
Yes, it is possible, but hunger is the way to go. Eat when you are hungry.

Q22: Any suggestions of easily digested meat. I just had an endoscopy and have duodenal ulcers gastritis a sliding stomach hiatus hernia and Oesophagitis. Nice! So far my attempts at eating fat have just caused nausea. It was pork back fat thou. I’ve ordered raw beef suet to see if that helps but won’t get it till next week. The local farmers market sells decent sirloins and ribeyes whole. I’m thinking of trying slivers of either of those raw in the hope it moves downwards past these nasty ulcers. Is that a good plan? Thank you.
Eat grazing animals or pigs. There is no difference in digestion. You may need a consultation.

Q23: What are the approved fruits once healthy?

Small amount, only for a healthy persons. But a piece of raspberry is not the same as a piece of banana!!!

Q24: Is eating liver only (may be more than 250gr a week) enough for those who can't eat other or have no access to other organs ?
No, bone marrow is needed too.

Q25: Vegetables recommended by PKD should be eaten raw or cooked?
It does not matter.

Q26: have 2 meals a day totalling less then 400 grams as recommended, but what about the bone broth soup? What rules apply there? Do I have to have the soup during one of the 2 meals? Does the soup itself count as a meal? Or it does not matter as if it was just water? I would love to know what Paleomedicina thinks about that.
It should be regarded separately and should not exceed 100-200 ml per day. In specific cases other advice may apply. It should be considered mainly as water.

Q27: I've read that Csaba Tóth drinks coffee. When is it safe to try having a little bit
In case you are already completely healthy

Q28: Can one eat too many organ meats and not enough muscle meat?
Yes. Follow the rules both for meat and organ meats.

Q29: Anchovies? Yay or nay?
There is nothing in them that would not be in the grazing animals. If you eat fresh, it can be good.

Q30: What's PM's take on carbonated water? I live in Sweden and we have very good tap water so I carbonate it at home.
Tap water is usually good, but the tap water is not OK if it is containing high amounts of magnesium, sodium or calcium.

Q31: If one can't get a hold of pasture raised marrow (which is the case for me now for maybe a month or so) is it better to skip marrow all together or can I eat regular marrow (not too bad quality)?
You can skip it for a month but not longer. There are excellent organ meat patés at www.eszkimokitchen.eu

Q32: What is PM view on high LDL (above 12mmol/L). Do they have any patients who started with a high LDL and in time were able to lower?
Yes, LDL only depends on what you eat.

Q33: I cannot get into ketosis, 1 week in from a carnivore diet, from keto previously for a year (when I was in ketosis), finding it impossible to hit 80% fat, I'm between 70 and 75% daily, 1gm carbs, rest protein. Can't get brains, marrow or sweetbreads here, do i just eat more pure lard or could there be something else going on here? I eat fatty grassfed beef, home cooked pork rind, some salmon or steak w fat, thanks! (.4 mmol ketones fasted in morning)
If you follow all the rules of the PKD, ketosis develops in 3-4 days max. In all cases

Q34: Is avocado one of the PKD approves vegies? And if so, in what quantity should it be consumed, and roughly how often is considered ok?
Avocado is full of biologically active substances. Not PKD cathegory.

Q35: Second start for me... and the plan drives me crazy
I can't give advice on that. If you are sick then an initial consultation may be needed.

Q36:Do we need to eat more than 250 gr of bone marrow per week if we can't find a good source of brain as brain is more nutritious?
No, they are interchangeable.

Q37: What is Paleomedicina's opinion on eating a 100% raw diet of raw meat and raw fat? is anyone in this group practising it? i personally have been eating raw meat and fat for over 2 years now and found digestion and energy much better. (i still eat some non-PKD approved items though). i would also be curious to hear the experts' opinion on eating wild caught fatty fish (mackerel, salmon, char...). is it beneficial for omega 3's and such (in case one is unable to source brains) or would you consider fatty ruminant meat superior in all regards

For the Homo sapiens the raw meat and fat are natural foods.

Q38: When carcass beef fat is melted by heat and turns liquid, does the fat undergo chemical changes? Why is the rendered fat harder for some people to digest? If the liquid fat is put in the refrigerator and solidifies, is the resolidified fat a different chemical composition from the original fat before it was melted?

The meltability of fats depends only on their fat composition and temperature. It is constant and hardly changes with heat treatment.

PKD Questions and Answers - 2

Answers by Dr. Csaba Tóth (07.29 2020)

k%C3%A9k%20borit%C3%B3k%C3%A9p.jpg

Q1: Why aren’t high fat dairy foods like cheese, double thick cream and butter included in a Pk diet? Is this based on evidence or anecdotal experience?

Nothing in PKD can be based on anecdotal experience because then it would not be scientifically sound. Due to the specific mechanism of action of the immune system, milk proteins can trigger inflammatory reactions even in the smallest amount, due to the dentritic cells. There is no dairy that is not containing milk proteins. Even ghee, contains it in small quantities.

Q2: Asking again because it has not yet been addressed: what is Paleomedicina's opinion on eating a 100% raw diet of raw meat and raw fat? is anyone in this group practising it? i personally have been eating raw meat and fat for over 2 years now and found digestion and energy much better. (i still eat some non-PKD approved items though). i would also be curious to hear the experts' opinion on eating wild caught fatty fish (mackerel, salmon, char...). is it beneficial for omega 3's and such (in case one is unable to source brains) or would you consider fatty ruminant meat superior in all regards?
Please, see the above answer.

Q3: It would be interesting to know and have experience as high level athletes in various disciplines / strength athletes, who have followed pkd for a long time. How their performance / results has changed over time. How to use PKD, and how manipulate proteins and fats, to gain muscle mass and hypertrophy in bodybuilders and strenght athletes?
As I have written before, this is a very specific question that can only be answered properly here. Anyone interested can take advantage of our services.

Q4: If i don't have access to brain and marrow can i only eat liver in larger amounts ?
I also answered this question last week.

Q5: Is duck fat allowed in PKD?
I theory, yes, if the good quality. But finding a good source is almost impossible.

Q6: If not asked already, is there a type of honey that is best or ideal, e.g. Manuka or just any raw honey?
It doesn't matter.

Q7: Can local bee pollen be included (1 teaspoon) without sabotaging results? My husband is a bee keeper so we have our own honey and pollen.
It makes no sense. It is not useful but may contain biologically active plant proteins that increase membrane permeability.

Q8: Does each meal have to be 2:1 or just the total daily?
Each meal.

Decided to change my question for this week. Because of religious dietary restrictions I cannot eat pork or suet, what other main sources of fat are recommended since this diet is primarily fat motivated?

Any animal fat

Q9: Are there cases where PEG400 tests turned out to be negative, in spite of the existence of an autoimmune disease?
No, autoimmune diseases are typically associated with increased intestinal permeability.

Q10: Hello, I would like to know what is the PKD's thinking about some substances or foods that have been heard for many years that are very beneficial, for example:, turmeric, ginger, aloe, you will see, oregano etc ... Thank you
Please, read the general rules or protocol

Q11: Is organic liver significantly better for us and why? Is liver better off to be eaten raw or cooked and why?
Anything that is organic is better than commercial.

Q12: If I eat too much fat, will this be evident in my blood glucose and ketone readings?
Yes.

Q13: What is the optimal age to introduce a baby (PKD mum and breastfeeding) to solid food (meat fat and organ meat). What amount of protein and organ meat is recommended for babies? Is there also a 2:1 fat protein ratio recommended for babies? Does anyone have any resources and information that I can read for babies starting PKD?
I have answered this question before. One year of age or over.

Q14: When can egg yolks be introduced? And when whole eggs?
This is one of the typically individualized questions.

Q15: Feeling cold, could that be a sign of metabolism slowing down? ( beeing an athelete with high muscle mass low fat%)
No.

Q16: Does a daily teaspoon (10-20gr) of honey could be okay for patients during the deep healing protocol?
It depends on the disease.

Q17: I've tried to not weight the food and eat close to 2:1 ratio, only following my hunger. In this way, I eat too much total food. And proteins bring my fasted glucose over 80, ketones always over 2.5. (Probably proteins might go over 1-1.2 gr/kg). Might be a problem from too much proteins? In this case the optimal thing is come back to use the scale?
Is this is an optimal thing until you learn the rules and to eat to your real hunger.

Knowledge protects.

The threat of disclosing this will protect you. If this doesn't mitigate the attacks, do so vigorously and eliminate them.

Good bye

You love

Back
Top Bottom