Overwhelming urge to sleep - coil failure?

Nathan

Dagobah Resident
FOTCM Member
Has anyone been caught with the unexpected urge to sleep while occupying oneself with The Work, the matrix control system or related studies? By this, I mean reading, researching or conversing on topics that are covered on SOTT, Cassiopaea and this forum? I, for one, have noticed for many years that while reading on something that relates to the matrix control system or working on something that incorporates this (i.e. my novel), I am always overcome with a need to sleep - regardless of my health or whether I have had adequate sleep.

Now I have come across examples of "ringing in the ears", but I had never considered the possibility that perhaps these seemingly random urges to sleep were connected with what I was doing at the time. Imagine my surprise when I read the following:

Session 10-05-01
(A) This is an ordinary question about my state of affairs, about this sleepiness, because once in a while it becomes very strong. There are probably many ingredients for this, yet I would like to know which has the most importance. What about this sleepiness when it's time to do research?
A: "Coil failure."
Q: (A) What coil? Coil failure? Do I have a coil in my brain?
A: Hypothalamus.
[Sitting beneath the cerebral hemispheres are the thalamus and hypothalamus. The thalamus is a relay center between the periphery and the cortex. It receives sensory information from virtually every region of the body, filters all of the information, and then relays the filtered portion to the cerebral cortex. The hypothalamus functions much like the thalamus, but mediates its actions by controlling the release of hormones by the pituitary gland. Its major functions include regulation of body temperature, adjusting heart and respiratory rates, and stimulation and inhibition of eating and drinking.]
Q: What kind of failure?
A: Energy surge causes short circuit.
Q: (A) But this phenomenon sometimes was going on for weeks or months.
A: Yes.
Q: (A) Why is it certain activities keep me awake, and certain others make me sleep?
A: Failure has a genetic basis. [Pause] Push against.
Q: (L) What does pushing against this tendency accomplish?
A: Unlocks DNA.
Q: (L) Anything specific that would be beneficial other than just pushing against it?
A: Aging stumps the brain that is unused.
Q: (L) In other words use it or lose it. (A) But I had exactly the same phenomenon like twenty years ago. Is there anything else that will help, other than pushing against it and forcing it to unlock DNA?
A: Not really you must overcome some things on your own steam.
Q: (L) What will be the benefits once he pushes past this?
A: Faculties jacked up a big step higher.
Q: (L) How long will it last if he struggles with it whenever he needs to sleep? This is my idea but - just struggling against it. That's the only way I can describe it.
A: Yes.
Q: (L) I don't think it does any good to walk away from it. If you have to lie down, then struggle while lying down. Take a book with you and battle the sleepiness. If you fall asleep, keep the book handy and the instant you wake up, go back to it. (A) Alright, that confirms what I know. Let's change the subject. Last time we talked, you told us about 1969. Somehow I couldn't find...
A: Hair is key.
Q: (L) Huh? [To A] When did your hair turn white? (A) I have no idea? (L) Did it happen gradually? I think that refers back to the genetic thing. (A) We have this photograph of when I was writing on the blackboard. I still had dark hair. But I had gray hair already when I was in school. So, probably it started turning when I was about 32. I have no idea. (A) Why is hair the key? What kind of key?
A: Gene block activation.
Q: (L) Gene block activation. (A) What does that mean? (L) Is that activated externally or just internally because of the way the genes where set up. Was a gene block activated by something external?
A: Force, yes.
Q: (L) Are there any nutrients or activities that will be beneficial?
A: Spirulina.
After reading the above, I am curious of what activities made Ark sleepy. But nonetheless, I could completely relate to what he was describing - except for the white hair factor (give me a chance, I'm only 22!) :P

So, in Ark's case, the failure appears to have a genetic basis. But what is the cause of the "energy surge" that short circuits the hypothalamus? I suspect I may share the same condition, as may others. This coil failure sounds like a great way to prevent people from accomplishing anything important in a hurry. However, pushing against the sleepiness does seem to work. It's not easy, but there is always coffee ;)

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Nathan, I'm struggling with the urge to sleep quite often, even when I've had a good rest, ate good food, etc.

Besides what C's have said, I think I can provide some info originating from Hub's research:

Nathan said:
This coil failure sounds like a great way to prevent people from accomplishing anything important in a hurry.
The clue may be within a word "hurry". Hubbard wrote that there are three main barriers to study:

1) Lack of mass - a person is studying some subject but only from books, so he has difficulties. If one learns about the engine construction for example, it would be very beneficial to pause and actually see the engine, take it apart, look carefully what it consists of and put it back together. Lack of mass produces physical phenomena: "It actually makes him feel squashed. Makes him feel bent, sort of spinny, sort of dead, bored, exasperated."

2) Too steep a gradient - a person is hurrying the study so much, that he goes from one step to the next without proper, profound understanding of the first one. In that moment one feels confused, reeling. "There was too much of a jump because he didn't understand what he was doing and he jumped to the next thing and that was too steep and he went too fast and he will assign all of his difficulties to this new thing." " The remedy for this one of too steep a gradient is cutting back. Find out when he was not confused on the gradient, then what new action he undertook to do. Find what action he understood well. Just before he was all confused what did he understand well - and then we find out that he didn't understand it well."

3) Misunderstood word, bypassed definition - it "gives one a distinctly blank feeling or a washed out feeling. A not-there feeling and a sort of nervous hysteria will follow in the back of that." If one is hurrying so much while reading a text that he bypasses a word/phrase/idea of which he has no/dim understanding, of which definition/meaning he is unsure of, then most of further study is handicapped, if not entirely meaningless. It is a most wide-spread mistake students make, and I'm also among them, unfortunately.

So while the urge to sleep is interesting to analyze, maybe analyzing the urge to HURRY would be also beneficial. What bothers me is that although I have this awareness that it would be beneficial to slow down and study more profoundly I seem to ignore it and proceed in my usual "fast gun" mode :( Teachers noticed that there are those two types of students - slow and fast in their approach, and that the former reach better results in the end.. Do you have any theory - from where this "hurrying attitude" comes from and how can one overcome it?
I'm in no way indicating that those barriers relate to you, Nathan - but if they do - I hope info provided above would be helpfull.

And of course 'pushing against the urge to sleep' works for me also, but it's terribly difficult at times. Cigarettes and coffe help :) Heh, my hair started to turn white about five years ago, and I'm only 28 - I've always thought it was due to much stress I had to endure in my life - I don't know what to think about it.

These three barriers do make a lot of sense. And I do recall reading about them from my brief training stint in Scientology. The point I was making, however, was that this sleepiness occurs, in my case, with particular activities. And although the three barries you have mentioned could easily apply for reading and researching (where comprehension plays a big part), other activities like simply thinking about hyperdimensional realities or writing a novel about them (to name my examples) seem to bring this on very easily.

After reading the session I quoted above, I have been doing some testing and it seems that once I switch to something else (i.e. listening to music, reading something mindless), the sleepiness begins to subside. Of course, this could be my mind intentionally causing this to confirm my theory. However, I am beginning to suspect that there are "switches" in place, which vary from person to person, that deter them from working on the self or helping others to work on their selves. Or, as usual, I could be reading too much into this! :)

Laura has written about this somewhere but I don't remember the exact place. It has to do with "brain overload" when you learn a lot of new information at one time. She said she used to read and get so sleepy but just forced herself to stay awake. She had written that it also has something to do with the brain making new pathways via increased knowledge.

Don

Nathan said:
After reading the session I quoted above, I have been doing some testing and it seems that once I switch to something else (i.e. listening to music, reading something mindless), the sleepiness begins to subside.
I've noticed this as well, Nathan. I have no problem staying awake all night long playing video games or doing any other nonsense, but when I engage in reading some serious stuff or contemplation - the sleepingness appears out of nowhere.

Yep! Happens quite frequently as a matter of fact when ever I am reading anything on the Cassiopaea website especially sessions with the C's...As they advise-PUSH AGAINST! At first I thought it was just me-then I realized it was a not so friendly reminder we are treading dangerous ground. But the waking movement seems to be growing judging by the new posters on this site (myself included) Hooray! But I expect them to start pushing back harder sooner or later so we should probably "brace" ourselves...

Sorry jOda but I disagree with the "hurrying" or misunderstanding bit. It would be interesting to take a poll and see just how many out there engaged in this activity have this problem-I think the results of such a poll would give us the answer.

It is just not sleepy-I often have my mind "go blank" when I knew exactly what I wanted to say-or I suddenly get a real "hot" flash. I'll bet there are a lot of people out there who have these same symptoms and just write them off to common cause...not enough sleep, too much coffee or alchohol, too heavy a meal etc. and last night when I was logged on I got the very distinct impression I was "not alone" and kept getting a weird sensation of bi-location-like something was superimposing itself or intruding on "my" space-anyone ever get that-or did I simply imagine it?

I am curious however just exactly what is the nature of this "genetic" problem, or more to the point is there a specific group of folks who are affected by this or is it merely a random occurence?The C's said the only defense is to push against the symptoms and it would rev up the DNA to help counter the problem. Apparently it can be an age related thing but you are fairly young (judging by your avatar photo) so that is not the answer-so again I wonder about the group(s) affected...

I distinctly remember one of the C's sessions where one of the group (Terry, I believe) basically wondered why the Fourth D STS crowd would want to mess with a nobody like him... and the C's responded "Nobody is a nobody-and it is NO TROUBLE AT ALL for them to employ as many agents as required to stop a perceived "threat" so we ALL will be / are under scrutiny and it is NO TROUBLE for the STS minions to give individualized attention.

Tshcai, I have noticed right from the first time I read this site, I became incredibly anxious, my heart would literally be pounding, and I had to force myself to continue reading. Most of the time now, I end up printing out stuff and taking it outside in nature to read, as I feel less "interfered" with there.

I also find I am sleeping a lot more these days, I can sleep 9-10 hours without any problem, and I wasn't like that before.

manitoban said:
Tshcai, I have noticed right from the first time I read this site, I became incredibly anxious, my heart would literally be pounding, and I had to force myself to continue reading. Most of the time now, I end up printing out stuff and taking it outside in nature to read, as I feel less "interfered" with there.

I also find I am sleeping a lot more these days, I can sleep 9-10 hours without any problem, and I wasn't like that before.
We should keep in mind that the internet is a network of communications lines that conducts psychic energies. Even if one rejects the idea that the internet conducts all these energies and connects people regardless of what site they are viewing, the fact remains that this site is most likely being viewed by a number of people with extreme negative intent against its material and members.

One member posted an observation that when anyone begins a new thread the number of connections jumps from an average of ten to around forty or so. It's kind of hard to get it together when you are blasted with hatred.

Regarding the sleeping issue, maybe there is brain overload when new subject are encountered requiring new pathways to be forged. We do most of our healing when asleep, and sleep is geared to neurological balance to a great degree. Perhaps a nap is in order in some cases. One might find that the information is better digested in that matter. In any case, it couldn't hurt to experiment instead of constantly going against one's own grain.

Tschai, I've brought 'hurrying' issue because of Nathan's phrase "This coil failure sounds like a great way to prevent people from accomplishing anything important in a hurry.", but I in no way assign it prime importance - it just may be one of the factors involved.

I tend to bring information which somehow relates to post I'm replying and of course, I do it from my own pespective and acording to my knowledge, but please don't consider I'm willing to impose my views on anyone. However if someone reading my posts gets impression that contradicts my above statement and I'm indeed imposing something - well, let me know. I'm sure there is always some room for improvement ;)

tschai said:
It is just not sleepy-I often have my mind "go blank" when I knew exactly what I wanted to say-or I suddenly get a real "hot" flash. I'll bet there are a lot of people out there who have these same symptoms and just write them off to common cause...not enough sleep, too much coffee or alchohol, too heavy a meal etc. and last night when I was logged on I got the very distinct impression I was "not alone" and kept getting a weird sensation of bi-location-like something was superimposing itself or intruding on "my" space-anyone ever get that-or did I simply imagine it?
I feel alot of body tensions myself, usually around my jaw, shoulders and navel. I do a lot of energy circulation and Qi breathing, and often meditate while I read and write (letting my mind rest and either absorb what is written or write as the energy moves me). Sometime I have to do a LOT of circulation before I feel a break in the tension and then it turns into a hotflash or just an abrupt elevation in body heat that can shift back and forth from that to anxiety. It feels like the tension is like a suggestion to tense imposed deeply in my subconscious with some kind of threat my body percieves that resembles threatening encounters in dreams.

I'm going through hot flashes as I write this, and it feels like a tug of war. This IMO is different than drowsiness, as it comes from outright friction not with the material here, but with something that opposes it, and any direction that is constructive. The tension is often accompanies by a kind of "blankness" of mind and mental disorientation. Being in out of the way natural environments and meditating alleviates this, but the closer I am to large populations, the worse it gets.

I can even feel similar hostility like an energy surrounding people as they pass me by, although the person looks perfectly normal and not hostile at all. I thought about it, and considered that any directions addressing current problems are taken by others in some way as threats to the status quo. This may not be how they think on their own, but they may be encouraged to do so by other influences affecting the thought field.

Their reaction can be completely subconscious and they may be totally unaware of it, or even interpret it as a determination to get things done in this world by the ways and means of this world as it is. The fact remains that there is a unilateral resistance that is imposed on people wanting to change things, even if they simply try to seriously just think of changing things. It's as if trying to move forward in taboo, and psychic police action is taken on those who do.

tschai said:
I am curious however just exactly what is the nature of this "genetic" problem, or more to the point is there a specific group of folks who are affected by this or is it merely a random occurence?The C's said the only defense is to push against the symptoms and it would rev up the DNA to help counter the problem. Apparently it can be an age related thing but you are fairly young (judging by your avatar photo) so that is not the answer-so again I wonder about the group(s) affected...
The above example I sited certainly warrants pushing through. Maybe sometimes drowsiness does also, but that may also be, as I mentioned, a need to just digest the information by sleeping on it.

As to the genetic problem, I think it refers to a hardening of boundaries of personal disposition as defined by our active genetic potential. We function according to our genetic potential, but we usually have only part of its total spectrum active, enough to get us through life as we now it. When we make more demands on ourselves, we make more demands on our metabolism and may need to activate genes still lying dormant.

Sometimes we overspecialize and our body adapts to that in the same way it adapts to drugs. We basically become addicted to the currently compromised and conditioned version of ourself even at a physical level, and this adaptaption to a certain bounded personal potential may be reflected through physical attributes.

I think genetic groups may have similar adaptation tendencies, but I also believe that this genetic level transcends racial characteristics for the most part. You may have intellectuals having one set of adaptations, action oriented people another set etc. I don't think it is random at all.

Hello all,

First to j0da-I believe I may have misunderstood what you were stating-the fault was mine, and in no way did I intend to sound like I was remonstrating your statements. Please accept my apologies-I have a tendency to come across a little on the agressive side- I am sorry to have offended.

To EsoQuest-I think I see what you are saying-that it is not A specific genetic trait, one that would be inherent in a certain group, but rather IS genetic-I.E. in certain people THEIR genetic make-up naturally resists the Work or anything contradictory to their "normal" view of reality-and this resistance requires these individuals to have to exert rather more effort to assimilate the material, which in turn requires more nuerons to connect which in turn "forces" the DNA to evolve. Did I come close to understanding your explanation?

This might make perfect sense, but in an individual with rigid scientific training-such as in Arks case? Where that individual has no difficulty dealing with something that cannot exactly be measured or observed in a laboratory or experimental setting-seeing is believing and results must be reproducible-but Ark would be more than capable of dealing with such things! Quantum physics is as close to esoteric studies as you can get in the Sciences! You cannot see what you are "measuring" and you are placing these "unseeables" into purley hypothetical, multi-dimensional realms-and trying to make them behave themselves! If someone can deal with THAT then the Work would seem to be childs play. So perhaps there are a number of factors as well as genetic that are involved. (NOTE: I am NOT questioning anyones judgement here-it is more of a rhetorical question - it seems that someone like Ark who would be used to long hours of poring over heavy duty and very technical material would be less susceptible to this "overload" than most-I find it curious. Perhaps the agency responsible for the attacks on him knew this and ramped up the power accordingly to compensate)

It seems that the consensus is that those of us that are new at this (although I have been on the "path" for most of my life it is only fairly recently that I really feel like o.k. this is IT-the real way)and as new information is absorbed and the brain is forced to deal with the bold new concepts it causes fatigue-makes sense-like when you "cram" for a test and attempt to "upload" a lot of facts all at once you become incredibly sleepy-but you GOTTA keep going ('nother cup o joe...yawnnn-WAKE UP YOU GOTTA PASS THIS TEST!)

The thing about the psychic energy coming across the internet is also real interesting-perhaps that "presence" I felt was all the other Cassiopean site vistors-maybe even the C's themselves :) in the room with me! I sure hope it was that and not the "other" guys-although I am sure they are also eavesdropping-standard OP for STS.

Thank you for your input everyone! It is interesting to note that it is not an isolated phenomenon and the "symptoms" vary widely-I guess we have to just keep pushing-and with the mental "excercise" the sleepies will dissapate-I have noted that if I just read stuff I get real sleepy-but if I am actively posting I DO NOT get sleepy-but my vision gets blurred-which is probably simple eye fatigue-but the mind going blank and the hot flashes persist. I will continue monitoring this and see if it lessens after I have been a regular to the site for a while.

tschai said:
To EsoQuest-I think I see what you are saying-that it is not A specific genetic trait, one that would be inherent in a certain group, but rather IS genetic-I.E. in certain people THEIR genetic make-up naturally resists the Work or anything contradictory to their "normal" view of reality-and this resistance requires these individuals to have to exert rather more effort to assimilate the material, which in turn requires more nuerons to connect which in turn "forces" the DNA to evolve. Did I come close to understanding your explanation?
Close. What I was trying to say is that this trait (or most likely an accumulation of traits) may be prevalent in everyone (or most), but what differs is HOW it is expressed. And I believe it is closely tied to our vibrations of specialization (how we deal with life in our own particular manner), which is tied to who we are.

This we can correlate with archtypal images, like the warrior, the scientist, the monk, the artist etc. Each of these modes of how we approach life have their pros and cons. Basically, our real being is more than all of those modes, just like a man is more than his career. He may be, however, so identified with that carreer that there is nothing else to his identity. When that happens, this man (or woman) may be excellent in that carreer, but will have a hard time approaching other aspects of life (relationships, family, spirituality etc).

It's actually a matter of overspecialization toward our special "talents". The tendencies for these talents have genetic foundations, and beyond them there are also other tendencies that lie latent. It's like this: Imagine having exceptionally strong arms. So you go to the gym and instead of exercising the weaker portions, you just focus on those arm to make them even stronger.

You take pride in them and ignore the rest of your body, because it is too much of a hassle. Imagine, you admire your arms and admire how much weight they can lift. Now maybe you try to exercise legs and other parts, but that makes you feel like a wimp, because the differential between what you are good at and what you are not good at is high.

The more you emphasize what you are good at, the more the rest of you atrophies. Esoteric development demands we exercise our whole being. And specialized as we all are with our particular talents, there will be inevitable resistance when we try to go beyond them. After all, we are winners where our talents are concerned, and seem like incompetents outside of them. Who wants to address their "looser" side, especially when they can ignore it and keep focusing on what they are good at, what rewards them the most and the fastest?

And because we are more than just what we are good at, there is a price to pay for focusing on one aspect over others. The same price the weightlifter pays when only working out the arms: The whole distorts in trying to adapt to the imbalanced situation. Undistorting oneself and having the atrophied parts catch up to the well-exercised ones is what is challenging.

The effects of overspecialization include all aspects, even those that seem the most appropriate for inner development. The scientist has a particular way of approaching reality. This is quite useful, and really a must for maintaining an objective stance with regard to the vast inner world, and also provides a powerful foundation to gain understanding. However, that mode alone is not enough, and it has its limitations.

Real esoteric development incorporates the subjective with the objective to provide a totally new basis with which to assess experience, a basis of synthesis. The scientist tends to rely on certain predetermined premises for what constitutes objectivity, and his/her conclusions depend on these premises. Esoteric development, however, may demand an expansion of what is defined as valid input. The five senses are not enough. Logical associations are not enough. Inner senses may need to be recognized as valid information sources as the outer senses, etc.

Much of esoteric development, furthermore, tends to be an art rather than a science so the definitions regarding the learning process may need to expand. I have to add here that I am not advocating total generalization where one is jack of all trades and master of none. The primary talent or way of appraoch may still remain the central pillar of how we view ourselves, but a pillar does not make a house, and individuals are a synthesis of many possible expansions of the central talent incorporating other directions with it.

So a scientist or a warrior can remain that, for example, but they have to expand former definitions and understandings of what a scientist and a warrior is. The artist has to come into play, the mystic has to come into play, the dreamer, the builder, the philosopher etc, all need to participate and complement the central talent, which actually becomes enhanced not by bloating itself at the expense of the rest, but by allowing other aspects to support it in a greater synthesis of being. Or the individual may come to a point where they realize they are becoming more than a sum of parts and directions and discover totally new horizons of identity.

Since our talents have a genetic basis, the atrophy of our unknown potential also corresponds to physiologic adaptations that generate reactions when we try to reverse them. That's my view, anyway.

O.K. that is helpful, and I understand what you are saying. Thank you. So that explains why Ark would have such difficulties-and actually-all of us to whatever degree.

EsoQuest said:
Regarding the sleeping issue, maybe there is brain overload when new subject are encountered requiring new pathways to be forged. We do most of our healing when asleep, and sleep is geared to neurological balance to a great degree. Perhaps a nap is in order in some cases. One might find that the information is better digested in that matter. In any case, it couldn't hurt to experiment instead of constantly going against one's own grain.
Four years ago, when I first came across cassiopaea.org while researching psychopathy (my father is a psychopath), I must have spent six months combing the site for every Cassiopaea article, then onto the Wave series, the Adventure series, etc. During this time, I was sleeping an additional four to five hours and eating twice as much. I never realised, until reading the above quote, that there could be a connection.

EsoQuest said:
One member posted an observation that when anyone begins a new thread the number of connections jumps from an average of ten to around forty or so. It's kind of hard to get it together when you are blasted with hatred.
This may be the group or system owners checking up on what's being posted. If this is the case, then I think we are most likely quite safe from a hatred blasting. It could be something as simple as that and programmed into the software.

Back
Top Bottom