Our Haunting Experience

Craig

Jedi Master
Gather round, for I am about to tell you a tale that will literally blow your socks off; and maybe, if you ask nicely, Laura will let you use some of her many cans of spray, to tame those prickly hairs on the back of your neck. She sure knows by now to have plenty in reserve. Okay, so it wasn't a scene straight out of the Amityville Horror! But oddly enough, a "House with the Eyes" was certainly one of the first impressions I had as we pulled up outside our new home, back in 1994.

It was very intimidating, moving into such a large house after spending my first few years of life living in a small terraced; now my sister and I could have our own suitably sized bedroom, and even a large play room, although we soon developed an inexplicable hesitation to stay in there for very long.

Everything went according to plan on moving day. Us kids were off to our grandparent's house so we wouldn't be in the way of the commotion, and I can only speculate as to whether trapping my fingers in the car door (for the first time ever) that morning was some sort of "sign" of things to come. I didn't like the fact that it was twilight until we could be taken "home" after receiving a phone call confirming that the moving company had gone. I had barely even been in the place for long, and now they expected me to just walk in and go to sleep? It was a slight consolation to notice that my father had plugged in a night-light, and that we'd be sleeping in bunk-beds in one room for a few days. I'd always been extremely afraid of the dark; I can't remember a time when I didn't worry myself to death that some sort of "shadowy man" had broken into the house and was coming to get me. God forbid that I would awaken in the night and need to use the bathroom! I would scream and cry until my mother came to get me, there was absolutely no chance I would go all the way downstairs, through the dining room, into the kitchen and then in to the bathroom all alone.

It was even worse now, the bathroom was even further away and I couldn't shed the feeling of constantly being watched. The very first night, I lay in bed (always the top bunk where I was somewhat safer) - the orange glow from the night-light giving the room an eerie atmosphere - peeking over from the duvet into the dark abyss of the upstairs hallway. The old doors had been taken off, so it was absolute hell to have such a gaping "hole" in my illusion of security - the four walls of the bedroom.

I didn't want to close my eyes, yet when I did, I was scared to open them. I had the feeling that if I did, there would be a face about an inch from mine with massive glaring eyes. Eventually though, I drifted off.

The nights continued like this for about a week; intensified even further when my sister had to move into her own bedroom across the landing. I came up with a sleeping position that wouldn't require my face to be exposed, yet allowing me to breath. Firstly, the bed always had to be against a wall. I wouldn't have it any other way. I would lie down, facing the wall with a huge amount of duvet wrapped up and around the side of my head. It was creating a sort of "partition" between the open space and scary atmosphere and me. I slept like this for about ten years afterwards - every single night, and have done up until recently. It lessened the chance of waking up face-to-face with "something" staring at me.

I was the first to see this something. I awoke one night, opened my eyes realising that my face was exposed. Because the new doors still weren't attached, I had a wide view of the landing, including my sister's doorway. I was stunned to see a small boy stood in it. It actually looked like he was holding a brown teddy-bear in his right hand, and a gold lantern (!) in the other. The memory is hazy, but it seems he was just stood watching me. I must have gone back to sleep, god only knows how, and didn't even mention it until a few years later!

Nothing much happened, it seems for a while afterwards, only this intense feeling of being watched. Funnily enough, the "source" seemed to be exactly the area outside of my sister's doorway. My habitual behaviour only became clear, again a few years later, when we realised that the house was actual haunted. As you walked down the main stairs, this "source" area was right in front and above you as you descended. I recall clearly always rushing - even running on occasions - down and glancing a few times as if aware that something would chase me if I didn't hurry. There was always a sense of relief when I got to the bottom. Even then, if you looked up it was as if something was sticking its head over the banister and glaring angrily at you. It was definitely a malevolent presence.

The next story was even more creepy. It involved my sister. One night, she'd been planning to attend a sleepover at one of her friend's houses in the next block. But being teenagers at the time, said friend had far too much to drink and so it was cancelled. This was around 2am, but the walk wasn't far. She said goodbye, and of course, it wasn't her fault that she had to knock on the door at such an hour to be let in. Apparently, she was really banging on it because nobody came to answer. So, she thought maybe if she went back and used said friend's phone to ring home; there was one in my parent's bedroom so it would definitely wake them up.

Back she went, up the road, and at some point, felt "compelled" to look back. She noticed that the lamp in my parent's bedroom was now switched on; so she turned around and began walking back to the house. As she got closer, she noticed a woman in the window, waving to her. Well, she is short sighted so she presumed it was our mother, what else would she think? Through the gate, down the driveway and up to the front door, which was now slightly ajar. It was obvious that Mum had opened it and gone back to bed. Well I can see now, that this was slightly strange in itself, any mother would wait up until her child was safely in the house! And that is exactly what she would've done... if she had opened the door that is...

My sister walked in, locked the door with the spare keys on the hook and went to the bathroom. On her way there, she thought she glimpsed the face and upper body of a small boy behind the television cabinet. A few minutes later she then went upstairs. The bedroom lamp was now switched off, parents seemingly asleep so she went to bed. It was only the morning after that things started to seem very strange. Firstly, my mother denied ever getting up, standing in the window waving and opening the door for her. My father never awoke either, and he is a light sleeper. Nor did I. The whole house was made from concrete/marble, so it was a pretty echoey place. No floorboards, anything.

So obviously, it was around this time that things started to make sense. Only, I think we were all too scared on some level to really think and say what it actually suggested.

It was the next incident, that actually shocked us all. The previous thing could have been attributed to sleep-walking, but this had no "rational" explanation. Oddly enough, it again involved my sister.

She awoke one night, facing the door and she instantly became aware of a presence. Apparently, as her eyes adjusted, she saw a very tall black shadowy figure stood on the other side of the room. Instantly, she reached out for the lamp switch, and as soon as the room was illuminated it disappeared. All she was left with, was the sound of the loose clothes hangers in her wardrobe swinging violently and clinking together. That only happened when somebody really slammed the door that was on the same wall, sending vibrations into the wardrobe.

Full of adrenaline, and fear of being alone, the only thing she could do was run out of the room, across the hallway and into my parent's bedroom. She eventually mustered the courage to do so, and grabbed the door handle, only to find that the door was jammed! It didn't have a lock on it, yet it wouldn't open! She was pulling with all of her strength, yet it didn't budge. Finally, it was as if somebody released it and it swung open. This wasn't the only time she had a "problem" with this door.

I think it may have been a few weeks later, she again woke up as if she had heard a loud bang. It was only the next morning we realised that the actual handle mechanism - the latch in other words - was completely gone!! And we never found it! Now that is a pretty difficult job for somebody to do in their sleep! I'm not familiar with the internal parts of it, but one would at least require a screwdriver.

There were a few other strange occurrences that she said happened: on a couple of nights, she could hear somebody whispering and then shuffling noises as though somebody was walking along the carpet.

The next few events involved my mother: one time, she was walking down the first few steps onto the second landing upstairs, and a large decorative picture on the wall in front of her physically lifted itself off its nail/hook and smashed in front of her. She looked at it and there was no way it could merely have fell; at least, then it would have slid down the wall first. It seems we all (although funnily enough, never my father) had strange things happen upstairs. Two other things happened with her while she was on the landing: the light bulbs on one occasion seemed to flicker and turn red and also, she felt a strong impression of being watched. Often, it was like ascending into a thick atmosphere that weighed a huge pressure on the top of her head and shoulders, which disappeared as soon as she went downstairs.

Once again, the upstairs hallway was the focal point of much activity. When my father used to come home from the pub on Friday night, he would have to walk down the street (which took about three minutes, always with our house in view), and on a couple of occasions, he'd see the hallway light switch on, and sometimes off. He'd come in, ask my mother about it, and she'd say she was sat in the living room the whole time. Us kids didn't turn it on, and certainly did not turn it off! We were fast asleep.

I think the most scary episode happened about a year before we moved out in 1999. Well, thank goodness my mother isn't reading this, because she'd be embarrassed, but it's what happened. The toilet and bathroom were separate in this house, and both on opposite ends of the kitchen which was extremely inconvienient, might I add. So because we both were in bed, my father was out, she was sat on the toilet with the door open. It was just easier that way. Apparently, she looked up and saw a strange glistening "blob" in the middle of the kitchen, which looked like plastic wrap but blurry at the edges; kind of swirly, grey and blurry. She said it was like it was trying to communicate with her telepathically, and in "response" she commanded for it to go away because in actuality, "it" was between her and her children - sleeping upstairs. It then, just faded away. I keep asking her to tell me about it, but I simply cannot get a mental picture - and no amount of adjectives, she says, would give an accurate enough description.

Sometime afterwards, I was lying in bed, it was about 9-10pm and I was reading a school library book I'd picked up. I suddenly became aware of a presence and the most intense feeling of being watched I'd ever experienced! It was like it had come from "out there" in the hallway, and concentrated itself right into my bedroom. I had the impression it was moving from the door, over to my stereo. And at that moment, the plastic started to click and creek as if this "thing" was leaning on it with its weight. I was more excited than frightened and actual sat up and started to wave my arm where I thought it was. It may have been colder, but I'm not sure. I began to talk with it mentally, but no "response" came. Then it was as if it had gone, and I lay back in bed, and noticed that my door (which was ajar about an inch, as it always was) was opening slightly. I again had the impression of being watched, but as if this "things" eye was peaking through the crack. I jumped up out of bed, and ran into my parent's room where my mother was also reading and I told her. She said I could leave the hallway light on. But as I said, I was actually quite excited by it all.

The next day, feeling rather aloof, I went around every room in the house with a bible in one hand and a cup of water (which I'd "blessed" with a prayer :)) sprinkling crosses on every wall. Obviously, I was mimicking The Exorcist or some other movie. But you know, nothing else happened after that! We still felt like we were being watched, but the little things (like objects disappearing and reappearing in strange places) seemed to stop completely. But saying that, perhaps it listened into our plans - we had decided to move.

The last day, when everything had been cleared, the rooms bare of all belongings, my mother went upstairs and stood there, hands on hips, demanding that it show itself to her. Calling it cowardly, she walked out, because nothing appeared.

It was only after we'd made the move that we found out some interesting details: the previous residents had reported babies crying in the house at night, the same feeling of being watched upstairs, and a few other incidents which I cannot recall. It just confirmed that it was there before we came, and the current residents have confirmed that it is still there. Only now, they have also moved out.

My mother, at one point had a nursing job which required her to go visit the elderley at home and help them with their day-to-day business. She got called to go to a house in the same street, a couple of houses away. They too had experienced quite similar phenomena in their home and the old lady even said that this whole area was once a graveyard! Well, I'm not too sure of that. We checked maps at the library, which went back to the 1800's but it was just an open field.

But it was odd that other's had similar tales to tell, in the same proximity.

So there you go - did you need any hairspray? I gather that the experience affected me quite deeply; I have (or at least up until a few months ago) a recurring dream that we choose to move back there and I'm crying and screaming with my whole being that I don't want to live in such fear again. Also odd, was that this "shadow being" experience seems to be quite common in our close family - everybody has a tale to tell. That is for a future post.

I'm very interested to read other's tales of spookiness - so please, do tell!

Hi Craig! Very *chilling* story. Thanks for sharing.

When I was younger me and my family lived in a new house in a new neighbourhood. There too, were occurences of haunting. I never dared to sleep with my back to the door and dreaded the dark of the hallway that peeked through the door opening (the door was always slightly ajar). When I dared to sleep with my back to the door, it didn't take long for me to turn around again, because I *felt* that somebody was watching me. I heard from my father that at one night he woke up to find himself completely frozen. He couldn't move a limb! He then heard the rustling of a dress. He knew it was a woman, walking towards one of the windows of the bedroom, as if she was expecting someone. There definitely was a presence (or more!) in the house. Later, we found out that the new house was build on farmland and right where our house stood, there used to be a farmhouse. Luckily for us, these occurences were rare, but that didn't stop me from sleeping with my face towards the door...

Craig, very creepy story. Keep this up and Laura can make a lucrative business selling me those spray things u mentioned! :D

I recently (about 2 months ago) also moved to a large house, and all my life prior to that, I lived in an apartment with my family. I have a similar sensation about the place, especially when I'm alone, and most especially in the basement where my room is. I have never actually seen any evidence of any "paranormal" activity, however, so it may be just my own prejudices and fears, nothing more. However, lately I developed a sort of "defense" mechanism to fight off my own fear of being in the potential presense of some malevolent entity. Now, when I get frightened, it is always followed by a kind of rebellious anger, which tends to block out the fear and leads to questioning the source. I think of it like this: Regardless of whether there is a "scary dark entity" in the house or not, I simply refuse to live my life in constant fear of it or anything else, period. So sometimes I have to remind myself of this, and anger usually goes a long way to help me "snap out" of the fear and get my "grips" on reality. As the C's say, paranoia will destroy ya! And that goes hand in hand with "ignorance endangers" because paranoia is born out of ignorance, as far as I am aware. If you knew what the entity is, the extent of its capabilities and what its awareness is, you wouldn't have any reason to be afraid of it - since you'd know what to do to protect yourself, or if you even need to do anything, since there may not be any danger in the first place.

So anger helps me sort of "face my fears" - I'm angry AT the fears themselves, since they are totally unfounded, I have no evidence of any actual danger, and yet I am terrified of the POTENTIAL ONLY to the point that it makes my heart skip a beat, makes me change my lifestyle, and basically messes up my life! But even if the fears are founded, does it really matter? For example, I can sit here and be terrified of 4th density STS and their power over this world, I can crawl under a rock and shiver in anticipation that any second I'll be abducted and programmed, or taken underground into a vat, or experimented on, or any number of things. I can be terrified of what the government might do to me if I voiced my opinions regarding their actions, I can be terrified of God punishing me for questioning my religion, I can be terrified of anything, whether real or imagined. But why? Negative emotions like anger and fear are only useful if they help me do something useful and productive, but as the C's also say, those same emotions can also utterly destroy me if I let them. So standing up to a ghost (whether real or imagined, or any fear for that matter) is kinda like standing up to a highschool bully in my opinion. Most of the time a bully does not have to do ANYTHING, just act like he will, and people tend to fall in line in fear, and he gets what he wants without lifting a finger. So a control system is established, and it is implied - like the wizard of Oz, it never literally physically controls anyone, it just uses our own mechanical fears and prejudices and beliefs and we end up just GIVING it control. No system of control ever controls those who do not voluntarily surrender their free will - that much I am practically certain of. It's the reason STS does not bother trying to control STO - it's an utter and total waste of energy and "time" as it yields no useful result - UNLESS of course the STO group has a good potential to be "turned" to STS (like humanity did), only then it might be worth the attempt, since it can potentially pay off and make a nice STS livestock, as we currently seem to be.

And you may be aware, people reach a complete "bankrupcy" on many levels of their being, which includes a powerful emotional state, usually accompanied with a lot of ANGER and desperation, before they begin to question their reality and their most sacred cows and wake up. Well standing up to a bully, or a potential ghost, is basically the same thing in my opinion, but on a smaller scale. You can live paranoid and terrified of some ghost, until the moment where u just can't take it anymore, you've HAD it with this fear! Then you get angry, angry at the injustice of being somebody's victim, angry at the gall of the "bully" or the "ghost" or whoever to think he can just scare and control you anytime he feels like it, angry at yourself for letting yourself be a victim and be controlled so easily, and so all this builds up over time and piles up until it can't pile up anymore and you reach an internal supernova, at which point you stand up to the fear, FACE it (no pun intended) and perhaps scare IT for a change.

So the next time you imagine a scary glaring face an inch away from you, remember that you can also make a scary and glaring face right back at it - you might even do a better job if u try hard enough! Look at the avatar pic I use, that's just pure evil right there :P

Though knowledge protects, so I didn't mean to imply that just saying no and facing your fears will protect you in any way. But I think that fear, paranoia, and wishful thinking are big blocks that can prevent us from ever acquiring or seeking knowledge in certain areas. So reaching an emotional bankrupcy where you just can't take it anymore and simply refuse to be afraid of whatever it may be, in my case accompanied by anger but it doesn't have to apply to everyone, that provides the emotional opportunity to question the reality and learning about the true nature of whatever it is you may be afraid of.

Hope that helps :)

Blimey Craig - sounds like you need to tell the Most Haunted crew about that house......

On a more serious note, it's interesting that you mention the house was all marble and concrete - just right for 'recordings' ;-O

in light

autumn

autumn said:
Blimey Craig - sounds like you need to tell the Most Haunted crew about that house......
Ha! Yes! I wonder what sort of "theatrics" Derek Acorah would come out with there? But I would like to point out that these incidents happened over a period of five years, which is a pretty long time. So the "ratio" of fearful moments compared to somewhat normal and calm moments, is quite low. The feeling of being watched became normal, and we got used to it. In fact, it is probably scarier (for me anyway) recollecting things than when I actually lived there. Maybe it's an age issue. Or perhaps, whether I had a strong idea of what was going on. Like I said, it became quite normal.

autumn said:
On a more serious note, it's interesting that you mention the house was all marble and concrete - just right for 'recordings' ;-O
Hmm... I hadn't really considered that. I believe Derek Acorah (as well as the C's if I recall) spoke about stone being capable of "recording" things which accounted for repeat sightings of the same thing by different people. We used to hear a loud boom reverberating through the house sometimes - usually around 3am, which I forgot to mention. I even think the neighbours heard it a couple of times. God only knows what that was... I always put it down to some sort of portal (between densities?) opening or closing, which is interesting in regard to these loud bangs people are reporting all over the place recently.

I kinda tend to think of haunting less as spirits/entities that occupy a location and more of the memory of the space that is being "haunted". For example, if a traumatic event which resulted death occurs in a spot, its entirely possible that the spirits associated with said event move on and reality itself "remembers" the event. Then, when the wary observer stumbles along and if the vibes are right reality replays a recording or a version of the recording that is compatible to the observer. Prolly has to do with quatum states of the matter surrounding the area being altered slightly be extremely emotional events. Just a thought.

As an addendum im sure it is entirely possible to have a non-attached spirit "haunt" a location, but feel that reality's memories replaying occur more often.

Back
Top Bottom