Our Beloved Cat Has a Mystery 'Illness' - Any thoughts?

Apologies for not replying earlier, and for the following short reply. I have been off the computer being busy with couple important issues. And I am sorry the kittie isn't feeling well. :hug2:

First question or remark is about lamb/pork diet. I understand that according to your description the cat has been well on the diet. But actually, these meats are not recommended for cats because of their high fat content. The rule of thumb when it comes to species appropriate diet is to think what an animal would be eating in the wild. And they can't really hunt sheep or pigs. ;-)

If the cat does eat these meats, his liver should be monitored in order to check if there is no fatty liver. Actually, that's the next question, if an abdomen ultrasound was done.

Also, the remark about taurin is an important one. As it happens, unbalanced natural diet is worse than commercial diet. Here's a link to Dekart's site, where you can get all the needed information of how a balanced natural diet for cats looks like.

He mentions chicken and rabbit, and turkey is a good option too.

And here's another similar version of the diet:

As for his howls, it would be more understood if the kittie would be older, as this is one of the signs of the gradual cognitive decline. But he is too young for that.

What draw my attention is constant licking all over, a sort of hyperesthesia. It could also be a sign of pain. And also a howl when trying to eat, and that he eats if you feed him. I don't know how he is in general, I mean if he is playing, jumping, running around. It seems like you say that he is ok and does all those things. Well, then it does sound mysterious, because this kind of howling could be an indication of pain, perhaps in the neck area, and that's why it's easy to eat when you feed him.

And if he has chronic vomiting, then you do need to do an ultrasound if you haven't done so already. Just some thoughts.

I am so sorry to hear about your cat friend. I agree with what the pervious commenters have said. Has your vet checked his intestines to make sure there is nothing blocked there? Is he going to the bathroom regularly?
Also, Is it possible for the vet check for a vitamin deficiency?

Seems like everytime he drinks water he throws up afterward? Could it be something in the water or a throat or neck pain issue like Keit says?
In the past I had a cat friend that had tooth problems and trouble eating. He would paw at his mouth when he ate. Later I found out that teeth issues are related to the kidney. Is the vet able to check his kidneys?

I hope you can figure this out soon so he can get better. :flowers:

I'm so sorry you are having this problem with your cat. He's a beautiful boy. Cat lady here, so just adding another possibility. I see he has gorgeous long hair. Sometimes the hairballs with this type of coat are more difficult to expel. They can get lodged, or even become hardened over time, even cause blockages in the intestines. There would be then be frequent but unproductive vomiting. It can even cause a type of hairball gastritis. It seems you've had extensive testing by the vet, but just wanted to make sure they took good pics of his digestive tract. If they haven't, that would be a good idea. Many thoughts and prayers for your sweet boy's healing.
Yes, he's half Maine Coone Leelee and has luxuriant long hair which he sheds an insane amount of in summer (in fact all the time!) and what you suggest came up in our thinking, but the vet didn't seem that interested... claimed it would have been an issue before considering his age... and as far as I remember they didn't take any scans etc of digestive track - as per Keit's advice, I think its a must next step. There have been so many odd symptoms, all seemingly disconnected, its been hard even for pros who seem as baffled as we are. Many thanks.

Apologies for not replying earlier, and for the following short reply.

No worries at all Keit. Thanks for finding the time in busy sounding schedule.

First question or remark is about lamb/pork diet. I understand that according to your description the cat has been well on the diet. But actually, these meats are not recommended for cats because of their high fat content. The rule of thumb when it comes to species appropriate diet is to think what an animal would be eating in the wild. And they can't really hunt sheep or pigs

That link is great - how I wish I could have found it a year or so back. Gourmet cat food deluxe here I come! Still I'm beginning to see how at fault I was whilst trying to do him good (he absolutely did not do well on gluten and carbs as the site says - I got that bit right anyway...) I went with lamb/pork in the end because of course being a cat-contrarian he loves them whilst being just about the only feline I've ever met who will regularly turn his nose up at chicken! I thought I was doing him a favour by going with what seemed his preference. There you go... keep learning. If I can learn so can he!

Another trip to vet today. They've given him a vomit suppressant because... well because that's there only solution...! Anyway I'm going to get his digestion system looked at and immediately change to the diet above.

What draw my attention is constant licking all over, a sort of hyperesthesia. It could also be a sign of pain. And also a howl when trying to eat, and that he eats if you feed him. I don't know how he is in general, I mean if he is playing, jumping, running around. It seems like you say that he is ok and does all those things. Well, then it does sound mysterious, because this kind of howling could be an indication of pain, perhaps in the neck area, and that's why it's easy to eat when you feed him.

And if he has chronic vomiting, then you do need to do an ultrasound if you haven't done so already. Just some thoughts.

The problems in his mouth seems to have vanished of late (in all my time with acts I never saw such a reaction when it was going on - really loud howls, backing away, shivering all over, twitching, wide eyes etc) but now the vomiting has replaced it. My instinct is that all that grooming was some sign of an all body irritation or hyper awareness. But you can cuddle, stroke him all over, pick him up etc and absolutely no pain response. He's always been an incredibly reactive purrer and that hasn't changed nor his looking for petting, eye contact (a big thing with him), face rubs, you name it - and when he''s not sleeping he's totally perky, engaged even playful - so no outward signs whatsoever (I think his coat is as silky and shiny as ever but the vet is convinced its not...)

Anyway...

Digestive ultrasound/tests
New diet
Taurine and vitamins

That's the plan.

Thank you all so much for your help and advice. Better than any vet it seems - the practice we go to has 3 and he keeps seeing different ones each visit yet no one has provided a single answer or line of serious inquiry... but you should see the bill!!!

My best wishes for you.

I hope that nature in her wisdom will do the work that "science" cannot do.

The fact that he no longer shows pain in his mouth is great.

Sometimes animals just need "time" and to follow their instincts.

I hope your efforts lead to the best.

Cheer up.

One of our treasured cats, before hyper-healthy for 13 years, then had some of those odd symptoms. At sudden, in just one week she lost most of her nice corporal mass, making it hollow and shrunk. And yes, she yelled a lot and no signs of any injury. Likewise, my first suspicion was on EMF/5G radiation and influence of the spike-proteins spread by those vaxed (though in our house nobody is vaxed). But also we thought could be tooth or renal problems since she was drinking a lot of water. After another few days, she barely could walk.

In the past we knew very good vets but recently we don’t have nearby trustable vets, thus we decided for not taking to the vet because of early horrible experiences that ended in the death of our pets. So, on our own we started to administer Reiki sessions and changed the food to those (commercial) balanced diets that supply on renal and urinary deficiencies —by the way, of course is important brands that have not transgenics in the composition. Days later, still continued the issues.

What then? Ra (Law of One) tells us that the known monk and animal lover, Francis of Assisi, succeeded to achieve a STO-4D state. We asked his help. In another front we also started a homeopathic medication aimed to combat poisoning. We used Mercurium C30 and Arsenicum C6, but is important to remember that the energy/frequency of those who prepare and manipulate the formula can lessen the ‘potion.’

At that point apparently over her last remaining thread of life, she fast got better, and almost no more screams. She is back to walking and more active, still very thin but regained a bit of weight since then. Yet, 5 weeks later... no yells but our another cat, a 7 year-old Siamese, at sudden started to have constant nightmares —literally crying during her dream states— and then she lost her great corporal mass in similar way over one week or so. Again we are using the same treatment. And now she is little by little getting better.

Besides, just telling as a curiosity, meanwhile these events an unknown beautiful black cat came to our house. Probability the sweetest cat we have ever met. I explained to him —or tried to— that was complicated to keep him with us, but if he had not a home to go, he could stay as long he wished. We provided food and a little house for him stay at night since we kept him outdoors as for an uncertain period of ‘acclimation.’ He didn’t complain, even because he loved to go hunting all nights. He came and went several days, and then as he appeared he vanished —until now.

Back to the point, regarding the dosage, we diluted the homeopathic globules in water and gave only one dose per day directly in the mouth via a dropper. No stress was noted using this procedure. Also we placed that medication in the drinking-water vessels, which we clean and refill several times per day. Could this help? Just some thoughts.​

Merci pour les nouvelles et à Keit toujours de bons conseils...
J'ai oublié de vous dire que mes chatonnes raffolent de crevettes roses, coquilles saint Jacques, gambas cuites, en fait elles les mangent avec moi pendant mon repas...
Comme annoncé, PUSS à sa place dans mes prières personnelles main et soir... J'espère lire des nouvelles très vite...

Thanks for the news and to Keit always good advice...
I forgot to tell you that my kittens love pink shrimps, scallops, cooked gambas, in fact they eat them with me during my meal...
As announced, PUSS has its place in my personal prayers hand and evening ... I hope to read some news very soon...

I'm so sorry to learn your lovely cat is going through this, Michael.

I just wanted to add something I hear about taurine in an interview I recently listened to; the most content of this amino acid is founded in chickens hearts. It's a pity he doesn't like chicken, but you could try to mix it with some food he likes. What I do with my cat is, I cut them (liver and heart) in small pieces, because I noticed that when I gave them in big pieces or complete, he tended to refuse them.

In any case, I really hope you find the best treatment/diet to help him, and I'm sure that with Keit and Deckard's advice you will succeed. :hug2:

@Keit Thank you so much for sharing this info!

Hi Michael.

I have just seen this thread. How is your kitty? I have three furry ones. One of them, on my profile picture, is eating the whole selection of small enough wildlife with no problems ever, except slugs. (yuck) His sister is a kinda balanced eater, however, I use her as a barometer for healthy food. She won't touch anything remotely artificial. She loves pate. The eldest one, 10yrs old. She had many problems with her stomach. lots of vomiting, eating grass, vomiting grass. Diarrhea. All sorts. Last year I had numerous energy healing sessions and I included her in one of them. She is fine since, only one sickness. This is just a thought... Maybe something else helped her. I can't say I can prove anything.

Back
Top Bottom