One of my furry companions has passed

I'm very sorry for your loss, Alejo.

It must have been a hard decision to put your pet down but I think our animals can read our minds and understand our compassion. And then of course there is the enormous pain and sadness of the separation.

Animal communicators report that higher developed animals seem to know quite naturally that dying is not the end of it all and they rather prefer to pass on than suffer continously.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share with you all, last night as I got home from work, I found one of my pups laying on the floor unable to move. From the looks of it, he had fallen from the couch, something rather uncharacteristic as he had steps to get up and down and he had been using them for a very long time. He was 11 years old and had been dealing with seizures for a few years, he had experienced a bad injury in one of his front elbows which took him a long time to recover from. Had slowed down a lot and was loosing his hair, didn't deal very well with heat or cold.

I took him to the vet, when I got there after an exam the doctor told me that the most concerning thing wasn't the injury itself, which would require surgery to address, and probably a plate and screws, but that he wasn't responding to his injury in the way she would expect him to. I have been taking him there for years and after discussing his history of health issues, she mentioned that we could go through the entire procedure and he might recover a while down the road, but that the process of getting him to recovery would be very strenuous on him, and that I should consider if it would be worth it to do so.

I thought about it, I realized that going through all the procedures and recovery would be immensely stressful for him, I saw him recover from his last injury and it was a long and painful process. So I made an extremely difficult decision and decided it was better to let him go.

It was extremely painful, I felt like I was giving up on him, something he'd never do.. .not even in his old age would he stop himself from trying to protect me, I felt like it was my fault as I could've not let him up on the couch. But seeing him in his last moments, with a blank calm stare despite his injury, struggling to breathe helped me realize that he was maybe asking to be allowed to pass.

The last few weeks of his life, he started to do something he hadn't done since he was a puppy, follow me everywhere, even though it was quite the effort for him to do so. He became playful and asked for attention more often, wanted to be on my lap and laid down on my feet. Thinking about it now, it was a sweet way to have a few weeks of warmth, like a very long goodbye hug.

Hero was a sweet and gentle friend, he was rather selective about the people he trusted and I feel very fortunate to have met him and earned his trust. I feel his absence, even though he was a quiet and slow at the end. My other dog, which is about the same age, felt his absence immediately, has been running around the house looking for him, and staring at me. He has been laying down in Hero's spot and seems extra anxious. So I guess we're both going through grieving process.

I tried my best to give Hero a good life and I hope to have accomplished this. I attached two pictures of him, taken about 11 years apart.

Thank you all for reading.
View attachment 36847View attachment 36848
Hi Alejo, so sorry for your loss, Hero maybe appreciated your decision, hope you recover soon :)

The loss is immeasurable when we lose one of our 2D friends Alejo, be kind to yourself and to your other companion. May Hero have a smooth transition, he knows he was loved and cared for here. It is a promise I make to my furry friends that I take good care of them and not let them suffer when that time comes, you certainly did that for Hero.

I am so sorry for your loss... You really need to love and respect a friend in order to put his wellbeing before yours.I am sure that it was very hard and painful. But you were brave enough to let him go. That's true STO.
A big hug to you and your other dog :hug2:

So sorry to hear about Hero´s departure Alejo, may he now look over you and his pet companion from the radiant distance!

I've had to euthanize three of my pets in the past, and I know too well how much it hurts. But when some feeling of culpability arises, like you´re discribing and which I had to face too, it helped me realizing pets can´t disobey their protection instinct, they´re hardwired this way, like us, albeit our free will makes a whole difference. Because at one point we will unwittingly be messing with our well inborned instincts as in the first place we as human beings don´t remember the purpose of us being borned in this world. And while this lets us on our own to figure it out, pets accompany us doing such an extraordinary job at soothing our nervous system that makes it so easier to rebond or stay in touch with ourselves.

My take is that Hero is ok with the decision you took, he was always ok with you anyway, whatever you did. And when times come for our pets to undertake their next journey, when we start doubting whether we did all that was within our reach for the sake of our pets, it´s like the universe reminding us of past traumas and offering us the opportunity to embrace our history, which may only happen when appreciating at the same time the gift of those who care for us or the benevolence of those who already left us.

:hug2: So sorry to read about the loss of hero. It's always an extremely tough thing to do but I know Hero felt your love and care until the very end.
I feel it's is a blessing to share that special bond with your pets. That includes when we have to say goodbye. The love you shared can never die and hero will live on in your heart. I know you gave him a great life.
I say until we meet again. Thank you for blessing my life with your companionship. Don't look back and enjoy your new journey my friend.
You and Hero will be in my thoughts and prayers Alejo. I know how hard a decision you've had to make as I had to let my cat Milo go at the weekend. :hug2: take care.

Thank you everyone!

you have all shared such nice and warm sentiments and kind words, it’s truly wonderful to have all of your perspectives and sympathy.

As the days go by it becomes a bit easier, it’s truly when I get home that I really miss him, but it’s slowly fading as I read through this thread and come to terms with the difficult but right choice.

thank you all once again, from the bottom of my heart.

I’m so sorry for your loss @Alejo, my deepest condolences. Based on what you wrote, I think you made the right decision (albeit a tough one). Our pets become our family and these decisions are just not easy to make. I know Hero was loved and cherished, and you will remember him always. Stay strong and hang in there :hug2:

Back
Top Bottom