Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,1768191,00.html
James Randerson, science correspondent
Friday May 5, 2006
The Guardian

The universe is at least 986 billion years older than physicists thought and is probably much older still, according to a radical new theory.

The revolutionary study suggests that time did not begin with the big bang 14 billion years ago. This mammoth explosion which created all the matter we see around us, was just the most recent of many.

The standard big bang theory says the universe began with a massive explosion, but the new theory suggests it is a cyclic event that consists of repeating big bangs and big crunches - where every particle of matter collapses together.

"People have inferred that time began then, but there really wasn't any reason for that inference," said Neil Turok, a theoretical physicist at the University of Cambridge, "What we are proposing is very radical. It's saying there was time before the big bang."

Under his theory, published today in the journal Science with Paul Steinhardt at Princeton University in New Jersey, the universe must be at least a trillion years old with many big bangs happening before our own. With each bang, the theory predicts that matter keeps on expanding and dissipating into infinite space before another horrendous blast of radiation and matter replenishes it. "I think it is much more likely to be far older than a trillion years though," said Prof Turok. "There doesn't have to be a beginning of time. According to our theory, the universe may be infinitely old and infinitely large."

Today most cosmologists believe the universe will carry on expanding until all the stars burn out, leaving nothing but their cold dead remains. But there is an inherent problem with this picture. The Cosmological Constant - a mysterious force first postulated by Albert Einstein that appears to be driving the galaxies apart - is much too small to fit the theory. Einstein later renounced it as his "biggest blunder".

The Cosmological Constant is a mathematical representation of the energy of empty space, also known as "dark energy", which exerts a kind of anti-gravity force pushing galaxies apart at an accelerating rate.

It happens to be a googol (1 followed by 100 zeroes) times smaller than would be expected if the universe was created in a single Big Bang. But its value could be explained if the universe was much, much older than most experts believe.

Mechanisms exist that would allow the Constant to decrease incrementally through time. But these processes would take so long that, according to the standard theory, all matter in the universe would totally dissipate in the meantime.

Turok and Steinhardt's theory is an alternative to another explanation called the "anthropic principle", which argues that the constant can have a range of values in different parts of the universe but that we happen to live in a region conducive to life.

"The anthropic explanations are very controversial and many people do not like them," said Alexander Vilenkin a professor of theoretical physics at Tufts University in Maryland. Rather than making precise predictions for features of the universe the anthropic principle gives a vague range of values so it is difficult for physicists to test, he added.

"It's absolutely terrible, it really is giving up," said Prof Turok, "It's saying that we are never going to understand the state of the universe. It just has to be that way for us to exist." His explanation by contrast is built up from first principles.

But if he's right, how long have we got until the next big bang? "We can't predict when it will happen with any precision - all we can say is it won't be within the next 10 billion years." Good job, because if we were around we would instantly disintegrate into massless particles of light.

all we can say is it won't be within the next 10 billion years." Good job, because if we were around we would instantly disintegrate into massless particles of light.

Sounds ok to me :)

I thought science had the world explained and filed away and that all the big questions were answered... what's this... new information stuff?

Oh no-another cyclic event where we get pulverized. Is there no end to all this pulverization? How are we to evolve if we are going to keep getting mashed?

In Michio Kaku's "Hyperspace" he says eventually the Universe will end in one of two ways-if it is expanding and keeps on expanding, eventually in will grow cooler and cooler-and eventually everything will simply freeze-OR if at some point the Universe begins contracting things will heat up and eventually will return to the promoridal state from which all matter began (I don't believe these are Dr. Kaku's opinions -he was mereley stating the commonly held theories in todays cosmological world)

But he goes on to say-that a Type III galactic race-one that has technology sufficient to achieve virtually any task-could possibly escape the destruction by shrinking themselves down and escaping into Hyperspace! OR we could simply snake down a worm hole and enter another universe...but the laws governing that universe may be WAY different than those of our own.

But if our Universe was formed out of multiple bangs-are there still pockets of (forgive me) un-banged primordial material out there or pockets of material condensing and approaching bang stage? How could we tell?

This is an interesting theory-and if correct-adds BILLIONS of years life could have evolved in the Universe-the implications are staggering and exciting to say the least. It may also give the quantum physics folks some brand new data to add to the hopper. Wow. Really cool.

I was always fascinated by the fact that single atom and surrounding electrons look so much like a sun and the planets rotating around it. I always wondered what if you go up this way and think that our huge universe is just like tiny tiny bit of something with atoms and space between them... how huge the thing would be when you would zoom-out quadrillions of times.

tschai said:
Oh no-another cyclic event where we get pulverized. Is there no end to all this pulverization? How are we to evolve if we are going to keep getting mashed?
What's wrong with being pulverized? Is it worse than being blown up (or expantified all the time)? I'm not sure. I suppose all these big bangs could be part of one huge huge cycle... and very very long one in terms of time.

The only way I could see the the absence of many Big Bangs happening would be if the universe was in perfect balance between the forces of contraction and expansion (if there was an overall contractive state). If it's in an constantly expansive state.... well who knows (that's not balance). I guess the C's idea of 'one in all in' re: seventh density applies here. The first soul over that line pulverizes everybody! And then, Big Bang again....!! We're right back we're we started from, again?

tschai said:
But he goes on to say-that a Type III galactic race-one that has technology sufficient to achieve virtually any task-could possibly escape the destruction by shrinking themselves down and escaping into Hyperspace! OR we could simply snake down a worm hole and enter another universe...but the laws governing that universe may be WAY different than those of our own.
Indeed, for instant "that universe" may have no laws of its own at all .... This possibility needs to bataken into account as well.

When trying mathematical approach more we come near the Big-bang, more time is freezing to 0 at the begining.
It seems unbelivable...so another theory is possible : like a respiration one universe came from another to return there to recreate another in the other universe. The "here" universe would be dimensional and sequential and the other nodimensional and nosequential....just a respiration.

Back
Top Bottom