Odd sensation when meditating

MatiaS

Jedi
So this happens about 50% of the time when I meditate, usually it lasts between 5 and 10 minutes before it fades away.

The best way I could describe it is that it feels like a "heavyness" or "pressure". It feels kind of "non-local", yet at the same time it feels it's centered around the head and shoulders. It's neither pleasant nor unpleasant. It's such a specific feeling and the weird thing is, I remember having this feeling as a kid, just lying in my bed before going to sleep. I remember as a kid I labeled it as "the Stone-feeling".

I know it's a really vague question and maybe it's impossible to get accurate information from others on what is such a subjective experience. Either way, it kind of annoys me that I can't figure out what this sensation is, because it has this quality of definiteness and "viscerality", like it's a sensation that is there for a specific reason.

Does anybody experience anything like this or does anyone have any idea of what it could be? I know that maybe there's no use to try to define everything, especially when it comes to more abstract processes as meditation, but my analytical mind can't accept this non-explanation for this phenomena.

To try to be more clear; it's not a deep trance state or particularly "meditative" feeling, as my thoughts still are running while it's happening. It's just a very pronounced feeling of heavyness and pressure which seems to be coming from outside of myself, yet simultaneously from within my head.

So this happens about 50% of the time when I meditate, usually it lasts between 5 and 10 minutes before it fades away.

The best way I could describe it is that it feels like a "heavyness" or "pressure". It feels kind of "non-local", yet at the same time it feels it's centered around the head and shoulders. It's neither pleasant nor unpleasant. It's such a specific feeling and the weird thing is, I remember having this feeling as a kid, just lying in my bed before going to sleep. I remember as a kid I labeled it as "the Stone-feeling".

I know it's a really vague question and maybe it's impossible to get accurate information from others on what is such a subjective experience. Either way, it kind of annoys me that I can't figure out what this sensation is, because it has this quality of definiteness and "viscerality", like it's a sensation that is there for a specific reason.

Does anybody experience anything like this or does anyone have any idea of what it could be? I know that maybe there's no use to try to define everything, especially when it comes to more abstract processes as meditation, but my analytical mind can't accept this non-explanation for this phenomena.

To try to be more clear; it's not a deep trance state or particularly "meditative" feeling, as my thoughts still are running while it's happening. It's just a very pronounced feeling of heavyness and pressure which seems to be coming from outside of myself, yet simultaneously from within my head.
I am sorry, I have no explanation but I find your description very interesting. Especially as you say it is neither pleasant nor unpleasant. Can you remember the time in your childhood when this started? Was there something special in your life? And how and when did it disappear then?

I am sorry, I have no explanation but I find your description very interesting. Especially as you say it is neither pleasant nor unpleasant. Can you remember the time in your childhood when this started? Was there something special in your life? And how and when did it disappear then?
I can't really remember any significant events that would coincide with this sensation. I know the memories are from early childhood (maybe around 4 or 5 years of age), but I'm pretty sure I felt this feeling numerous times throughout my childhood. Always lying in bed, since it only happens when my body is completely relaxed.

I remember somehow I gave it the name "the Stone of Time", because when I was younger and concentrated on this feeling, somehow a vision/feeling/sensation (I have aphantasia so describing these feeling based phenomena is super tricky for me) similar to the segway of the program "60 Minutes" would have, the clock ticking one second at a time, and then at intervals of every 10-15 seconds or so, a large "swooshing" sensation would make the "Stone" I feel magnify in intensity. This "swooshing" hasn't happened in my adult life encounters with this sensation, but I remember it was very intense, and even though not unpleasant, had me feeling pretty small and powerless.

The trouble I'm having conveying this with words is a bit frustrating, I wish we were in 4D so I could just show you telepathically what sensation I mean..

I don't have an explanation for what you are experiencing, MatiaS, but just want to say that I have always had sensations around my head when meditating which also continue throughout my body. I have never tried to describe it as I figured it was a part of the process and I find it quite enjoyable mostly. My feelings are as you describe along with some electricity at times. I have gotten this sensation while doing Reiki, as well. If the meditation is deep I have noticed that the sensation may be even more profound. Sometimes it may get too intense as far as the electricity goes. It will last the entire time I am meditating, although, if I am finding my mind strays or there is interruption about, it will diminish.

Since I thought it was a normal part of meditating, it would be interesting to hear what others experience. Perhaps there are varied experiences depending upon the person...some may see colors, feel relaxed, sleepy or nothing at all and it would be appropriate, I would assume. We are taught in Reiki that many may feel energy in different ways.

I have also had a swooshing experience inside my brain at times, for 30 years or more, but it is not during meditation. It happens as I am relaxed and about to fall asleep. It happens rarely these days. For this, I have no explanation. I do not find this very pleasant, however. At first, I wondered if I had a problem in my brain but since I am still here after all these years, I do not think about it much. Hope this helps.

I have something possibly related, it's hard to say however, describing it is difficult because it pops up when it pops up and it always felt abstract.

For me there's a feeling of something very large, say a stone, I don't know what else it would be, there's a certain sensation that arises when this object is raised or held and compared to what's lifting it. I started looking at it like a massive foam stone as proportionately it doesn't seem possible to lift but the contrast of size to weight and size to surface level holding this thing is what causes the feeling.

I have never understood it, but there is a familiar feeling and wooshing/swooshing of energy, typically occurs in a slight meditative state before I'm going to bed but very infrequently and pops up through the years. Always a memory of that feeling though.

Started occurring when I was 9 or so, I remember watching a show on the Bermuda triangle, than a movie where a plane gets hijacked and crashed into the ocean so certain goods could be stolen. In one part of the movie a father is trapped in luggage and can't get out and the daughter had to leave him as the water was filling up.

Hard to say/convey I once thought of it like having one of those Disney land micky mouse gloves while trying to hold a massive foam sphere. The intensity of that clock swoosh you talk about is understood.

Hope there's something to work with here.

I have no similar sensations like yours. And unfortunately, I can not give you an answer to your question. But I would like to share my feelings when meditating (in particular after EE). It all depends on my state and concentration before meditation. Also, I like to do in the evening, after work. I do not know how important it is. I began to notice if classes pass without distracting signals (for example, noise from the street, the cats who decided to break at this moment 🐈 , the call on the phone and so on) then very often, during meditation, I feel like the "gloves" around Hands and feet feet. Light as if balloons. In some cases, especially if it is full of it, including Ba-ha, I even experienced a feeling of lightness in the whole body, as if I sway from the bed at this moment and take off. In fact, this is a very pleasant feeling. But, unfortunately, it is not always possible to get into such a state.
Here, on the forum, there is a big branch dedicated to it. I do not know what specifically the meditation you ask. But maybe you would be interested to read it. This is link.

For me there's a feeling of something very large, say a stone, I don't know what else it would be, there's a certain sensation that arises when this object is raised or held and compared to what's lifting it. I started looking at it like a massive foam stone as proportionately it doesn't seem possible to lift but the contrast of size to weight and size to surface level holding this thing is what causes the feeling.
The intensity of that clock swoosh you talk about is understood.
Interesting description, and it seems quite similar to what I experience.

It's fascinating to me how limited our language becomes when trying to convey to an other these subjective sensations. Makes me wonder how differently we all experience things that we would assume are the same for everyone.

The best way I could describe it is that it feels like a "heavyness" or "pressure". It feels kind of "non-local", yet at the same time it feels it's centered around the head and shoulders. It's neither pleasant nor unpleasant.

It might be a sensation of your chakra or chakras, in particular the third eye, or possibly a blockage in that area. For me the chakra energies also often feel quite visceral and almost physical, while at other times there are also other types of energies that are much more "spacey" and "non-local" yet centered around a particular chakra.

The "swooshing" sensation, if I understand you correctly, seems to be similar to an "energy wave" sensation that I often get - running from the top to bottom or just parts of my body within a second or so. These "spontaneous energy waves" seem to be quite beneficial energies, so if these make the "pressure" in your head and shoulders more pronounced then I would say it is helping you either work through some blockage there or to activate the chakra.

As soon as you compared this sensation to a stone, I immediately realized that sometimes I experience something similar. And it really isn't unpleasant. But sometimes, on the contrary, I feel lightness and weightlessness in the body, as if it were disappearing.

I have never tried to describe it as I figured it was a part of the process and I find it quite enjoyable mostly.
I also treat all unusual sensations as part of the meditation process.

What I feel when beginning my meditation may be akin to what you describe as 'heaviness'. To me, it feels as if I have entered another part of my being, another room, and there is some sort of mass and structure associated with it. It's not at all unpleasant, just different.

Does anybody experience anything like this or does anyone have any idea of what it could be?

Hello MatiaS,
I did feel lots of sensations in my body since when I found this forum, and still…you can read about it in the thread,

Back
Top Bottom