OCD

Hello there.
Would you like to start a thread on OCD, for those who have it?
Or maybe it is inappropriate?
Peace.

Yeah, so, i have a magical thinking idea in mind now, yes. It says that i can give parts of me to others, and, therefore, losing and being dispossessed from them. Let me explain, that "maleficus mechanism" gives me orders, "swallow your saliva 3 times before hearing your daughter open the door, otherwise, you will give a part of you to her, and, you'll be like a child toward her, a slave, impotent and dispossessed".

Another one... i have a mind mechanism telling me that i can not accomplish or do something before finding back an idea in my mind. And it is stressful like hell... i really believe this idea and i can not concentrate in this context... feeling like i have been dispossessed from something too. For example, when i read something or watch something, when i try to inform myself or to read something, it always reminds something and my mind starts to go into the "memory scan mode". "What does it remind me"? And here comes the sadistic mechanism into action, telling me that i have to find back what it reminds me...

Another one. It's almost like the second one, but, it is with ideas in my mind, directly. Ideas that i have created (imagination to create things, etc) or just ideas of doing something (buy something precise to improve everyday life, etc). But it's always the energy. That big anxiety with this threat that dispossess me from my resources.

Hi SE, you already created 2 threads on OCD. - TMS for OCD ; OCD and MAGICAL THINKING ;
There are other threads on OCD on search it. you may want to check them and see whether we can use it.
Yep. I am blocked into an idea sometimes and i was curious of expressing the idea of creating like a sub-forum for things like that. But i guess it's not the idea to do so here on the forum, right? But i wanted to ask. :-)
But, yeah, i know that i opened these thread, ha ha. :-)
So, i go back into the OCD and MAGICAL THINKING one?

Yep. I am blocked into an idea sometimes and i was curious of expressing the idea of creating like a sub-forum for things like that. But i guess it's not the idea to do so here on the forum, right? But i wanted to ask. :-)
But, yeah, i know that i opened these thread, ha ha. :-)
So, i go back into the OCD and MAGICAL THINKING one?
It is hard to know where to put without knowing the content you want to post. Write down the content, see which thread contains what and do the best guess where it fits in. Even if you make a mistake, after trying your best, it is still alright.

Yup. I just wanted to know. And i shared some above. It was to concentrate all in one sub-forum/thread, etc, as sometimes i have some ideas. So, it was to share them when needed. And, in that "place", others could too. :-)

Another one. It's almost like the second one, but, it is with ideas in my mind, directly. Ideas that i have created (imagination to create things, etc) or just ideas of doing something (buy something precise to improve everyday life, etc). But it's always the energy. That big anxiety with this threat that dispossess me from my resources.
Neurofeedback could help; OCD is one of the best indications for neuroptimal sessions. There is a thread about this device.

I almost finished The Mood Cure. Here is a possible answer low serotonin:

Type I. Under a Dark Cloud:

Low in Antidepressant Serotonin

3 Do you have a tendency to be negative, to see the glass as half-empty rather than half-full? Do you have dark, pessimistic thoughts?

3 Are you often worried and anxious?

3 Do you have feelings of low self-esteem and lack confidence?Do you easily get to feeling self-critical and guilty?

3 Do you have obsessive, repetitive, angry, or useless thoughts that you just can't turn off for instance, when you're trying to get to sleep?

3 Does your behavior often get a bit, or a lot, obsessive? Is it hard for you to make transitions, to be flexible? Are you a perfectionist, a neatnik, or a control freak? A computer,TV, or work addict?

3 Do you really dislike the dark weather or have a clear-cut fall/winter depression (SAD)?

2 Are you apt to be irritable, impatient, edgy, or angry?

3 Do you tend to be shy or fearful? Do you get nervous or panicky about heights, flying, enclosed spaces, public performance, spiders, snakes, bridges, crowds, leaving the house, or anything else?

2 Have you had anxiety attacks or panic attacks (your heart races, it's hard to breathe)?
get PMS or menopausal moodiness (tears, anger, depression)?

3 Do you hate hot weather?

2 Are you a night owl, or do you often find it hard to get to sleep even through you want to?

2 Do you wake up in the night, have restless or light sleep, or wake up too early in the morning?

3 Do you routinely like to have sweet or starchy snacks, wine, or marijuana in the afternoons, evenings, or in the
middle of the night (but not earlier in the day)?

2 Do you find relief from any of the above symptoms through exercise?

3 Have you had fibromyalgia (unexplained muscle pain) or TMT (pain, tension, and grinding associated with your jaw)?

4 Have you benefitted from serotonin-targeted antidepressant drugs?

Total:
If your score is more than 12 in part 1, turn to chapter 3, page 25.

Last edited:
Yep, did it, have 37. It reminds me of the Book of Dr Braverman. I had GABA and SEROTONIN deficiency in the tests of that book.
So i take supplements, i do sport (i try to), i try to be careful with my diet (i follow Dr Gundry's one, the more i can).
Yep, i did neuroptimal, it was really effective on it, but, the therapist i did go see for that stopped his activity. I'll try to find a new one.
Thank you for your answers.

This guy started having OCD and was in a special school or education system to help persons with problems like this, etc. He learned there mindfulness, etc. Interesting and really encouraging!

OCD : Too much glutamate, too much dopamine... not enough serotonine, not enough GABA

Animal and imaging studies of patients with OCD reveal that there is increased glutamate (excitatory neurotransmitter) activity in the brain [10, 11].

Blood testing shows decreased GABA (inhibitory neurotransmitter) levels in patients with OCD and other mood disorders [10].

In rats, an SSRI that increases serotonin (clomipramine) in the brain (midbrain and hypothalamus), helped reduce the symptoms of OCD. This suggests that low serotonin may cause OCD [16].

Mice with high dopamine had more signs of OCD in one study [17].

Another study found that quinpirole, which increases dopamine release, led to significant increases in compulsive behavior in rats [18].
OCD: Causes, Conventional & Natural Treatments - SelfHacked

Supplements
1) Inositol
Inositol, a component of cell membranes, is involved in cell communication and also increases the sensitivity of serotonin receptors [82].

In a 6-week study of 10 OCD patients, 18 g of inositol improved anxiety and depression symptoms, and caused very few side effects (mostly digestive). In another trial, the same dose only enhanced the effects of SSRIs in 3 out of 10 patients with treatment-resistant OCD [83, 84].

At this dose, inositol was more effective than fluvoxamine in a clinical trial on 20 people with panic disorder. Because this drug is approved for OCD, further clinical trials comparing both treatments could shed some light on the effectiveness of inositol [85].

In a brain imaging study of 14 people with OCD, those who responded to inositol showed increased baseline activity in a brain region (left medial prefrontal region) but reduced activity after inositol treatment in other regions (left superior temporal gyrus, middle frontal gyrus and precuneus, and right paramedian post-central gyrus) when compared to non-responders [86].

2) N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)
In a 12-week study of 50 people with compulsive hair pulling (trichotillomania, which is on the OCD spectrum) NAC improved the symptoms “much or very much” in 56% of the patients (compared with only 16% of the placebo group) [87].

A systematic review of four pilot trials using NAC for 12-weeks (2,400–3,000 mg/day) concluded that NAC was promising at reducing the severity of OCD symptoms and caused minimal side effects [88].

However, a more recent 16-week trial on 44 people didn’t find NAC more effective than the placebo [89]

NAC added to the effects of SSRIs (citalopram) in improving resistance to compulsions in OCD a 10-week clinical trial on 34 children and adolescents [90].

NAC is thought to work by decreasing glutamate in the synapse and increasing glutathione. Low glutathione in certain brain regions (cingulate cortex) has been found in patients with OCD [91, 92].

3) Glycine
Glycine is an amino acid that reduces glutamate function in the cortical region of the brain [93].

In a 12-week study on 24 OCD patients given 60 grams of glycine as an add-on to conventional therapy, there was a minor decrease in OCD symptoms. Importantly, ten patients dropped out of the study due to the bad taste of glycine, which caused nausea in some cases [94].

Sarcosine is an inhibitor of glycine uptake, which increases the availability of this amino acid in the brain. In a clinical trial on 25 people with OCD, 8 improved their OCD symptoms after taking sarcosine [95].

4) Caffeine
In a five-week double-blind trial with 24 patients, 300 mg of caffeine was slightly more effective than 30 mg dextroamphetamine as an add-on therapy to improve OCD symptoms. All patients completed the study without adverse events [96].

The results of this study were recently replicated in a clinical trial on 62 people [97].

5) Milk Thistle
Milk Thistle is a plant with the flavonoid silymarin that increased the levels of serotonin in the cortex of mice [98].

In an 8-week clinical trial on 35 OCD patients, 200 mg milk thistle decreased the symptoms. However, it was less effective than fluoxetine [99].

6) Borage Oil
Borage is a plant whose flower and oil are both used for OCD. It had anti-anxiety effects similar to benzodiazepines (ex. Valium) in mice models [100].

In a 6-week trial on 44 OCD patients, 500 mg of borage extract 1x/day decreased OCD symptoms and anxiety [101].

However, borage may cause liver toxicity, diarrhea, vomiting, headaches, worsening of asthma and is not safe during pregnancy [102, 103].

8) Zinc
Scientists have discovered that zinc may play a role in inhibiting excitatory neurotransmission, and activates multiple receptors including GABA
[104, 105].

Zinc was found to be 69.2% lower in mild OCD patients than non-OCD patients in a study on almost 100 people [106].

In an 8-week study on 23 OCD patients, zinc supplementation (as an add-on to fluoxetine) helped decrease obsessions and compulsions without causing adverse effects [107].

9) Iron
In a study on almost 100 people, blood iron levels were 41 – 44% lower in patients with mild and moderate OCD [106].

Low iron is also associated with higher tic severity in Tourette syndrome. Iron supplementation decreased the severity of tics over 6-12 months in a clinical trial on 57 children with Tourette. Since there is a relation between this syndrome and OCD, this suggests that iron supplementation may help for OCD as well [108].

Mind-Body Interventions
1) Exercise
In 5 pilot trials on over 150 people with OCD receiving behavioral or pharmacological therapy, a 12-week aerobic exercise intervention reduced OCD symptoms. The benefits remained for 6 months [109, 110, 111, 112, 113].

2) Meditation
Mindfulness
meditation is thought to help people with anxiety to mentally avoid their triggers. A pilot study with 17 participants showed a reduction in OCD symptoms in patients who partook in mindfulness meditation [114].

Reducing anxiety may be a beneficial approach to eliminating symptoms of OCD. Read our post on the Top 31 Natural Treatments for Anxiety for more information.
OCD: Causes, Conventional & Natural Treatments - SelfHacked

All of this can be related to Julia Ross book too. :)

Well, see you, i'll go do a glycine cake! 🙃

So, i take vitamin B6, B2, B3, B5, B9, B12, zinc, 5htp, melatonin, vitamin C, magnesium (bisglycinate), licorice... I am really bad since a week or so, having big obsessions creating me a lot of stress and thus insomnia... so i am adding inositol and glycine starting today. I will take them for weeks, etc, in the long run. And, my feedback from today : i am having some positive effect just now. I feel that i am more relax and calm and my smile is coming back a little. Inositol : 6 grams (in 2 times) and for glycine, 6 grams (in 2 times). :-)
See you.
Peace to you.

I am doing exercise too, for 30mn every other day (3 x 10). Moderate rate exercise. I will try to see what these amounts of inositol have on me (reaching more or less 10 grams of inositol and maybe a little more of glycine per day) and modulate it in the process.
Well, see you.
Peace to you.

So, i just took NAC (2400 mg). In the article above, it is said that, OCD sufferers have more inflammatory biomarkers. So, as NAC increase the presence of gluthatione, and thus, reduce oxidation and inflammation (it's related), i think it's a good idea too.

NAC is thought to work by decreasing glutamate in the synapse and increasing glutathione. Low glutathione in certain brain regions (cingulate cortex) has been found in patients with OCD [91, 92].
same article as above

I know supplements have a cost, but, it's better than doing like people spending money on drugs like marijuana, antidepressents, sugar, alcohol... they also buy big cars, a lot of useless stuff, etc.
Well, i'll do my glyce cake (not a space cake).
Peace!

I also take vitamin D... i also put my feet on a wire connected to the earth (it calm me down. if i do not touch ground, i really see the difference !). i also try to smell linalool (from lavender), from time to time. breathing is also good. i try now to use all of this regularly. it's a good thing not let the unbalance install itself i guess. sometimes i am good and i forgot everything and then i am bad, so, i will use the tools to keep things balanced.
tchao. :-)

Back
Top Bottom