No more radio.sott.net

Scottie

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Due to the popularity of video, a relatively small number of (💕well-loved💕) live listeners, and the fact that the creator of our old radio system has moved on to other life adventures, I have deactivated SOTT Radio Network -- Sott.net.

Not to worry - all our shows will be continuing on. In fact, we've added a Russian SOTT show!

Some shows will still be streamed live on YT, but alas, Joe & Niall won't be live anymore - for now. YT live streaming requires more upstream bandwidth than we here can handle if the stream is to be of good quality (i.e. FullHD).

So, you'll need to find them on SOTT (or via their YouTube channels).

If you don't catch a new show as a SOTT Focus article on the homepage, in the Videos box on the SOTT homepage, or on YT, you can find shows in the SOTT Radio Network topic:

Future shows will also no longer automagically appear on iTunes.

📻

Last edited:
Aww, it's only a few clicks more and downloading the youtube video and converting it to mp3, but I liked when they would automatically show up in iTunes.

Aww, it's only a few clicks more and downloading the youtube video and converting it to mp3, but I liked when they would automatically show up in iTunes.

That's a good question, would the shows still show up there?

Future shows will also no longer automagically appear on iTunes.

They won't show up in iTunes any more because the necessary show data for the RSS feed needed is now mostly in the article, not in the Radios table any more. One field for the RSS is also missing now. There was no easy way to get around that since Radio show articles can be (and are frequently) modified from the default template generated by the system.

We also had multiple iTunes "channels" for English shows, which was really confusing.

And of all the shows, none of them even registered a "blip" in the iTunes popularity radar. Actually, iTunes kinda sucks in that respect because they don't give you any statistics at all that I could find.

Too much complexity for too little benefit!

Thanks for the update, Scottie;-) It’s a pity that the shows won’t appear any more on iTunes, that was the way I listened to them. Anyway, I’ll try to convert them to mp3 from YT

I really appreciate the radio shows, it’s so good to have topical information distilled into an hour & half for people (like myself) who are time challenged. I’d love to be one of your live listeners, sadly the time zones just aren’t practical. I’ll make sure I look out for it on SoTT focus or SoTT video. Thank you to all involved, I know how much goes into putting on the radio shows & it’s greatly appreciated :)

Thanks for the update, Scottie;-) It’s a pity that the shows won’t appear any more on iTunes, that was the way I listened to them. Anyway, I’ll try to convert them to mp3 from YT

All shows will still have MP3 download links when they're published on SOTT as SOTT Focus articles.
So, no YT conversion required!

Easiest thing to do is bookmark the Radio show topic:

Ta-DA! All future shows will have the MP3 download link right in the article summary.
:thup:

I would still love to have a list of radio shows. Casswiki could have been the good place for it, but now we don't have Casswiki.
I know that we have a list as sott editors, but I would like to have it more condense, like we do for sott articles list.

I would still love to have a list of radio shows. Casswiki could have been the good place for it, but now we don't have Casswiki.
I know that we have a list as sott editors, but I would like to have it more condense, like we do for sott articles list.

There are ways to do that.

If you use Firefox, install this addon:

Firefox removed the RSS feed viewer in v64. This adds it back. Then view the Radio topic RSS feed:

If you don't want the summary text, in the add-on options, you can even add custom CSS that hides the summaries:

CSS:
div.feedEntryContent {
  display: none !important;
}

It's not exactly what I want, because I can see only the last 50 shows, but it's still useful. Thank you, Scottie.

All shows will still have MP3 download links when they're published on SOTT as SOTT Focus articles.
So, no YT conversion required!

Easiest thing to do is bookmark the Radio show topic:

Ta-DA! All future shows will have the MP3 download link right in the article summary.
:thup:
Thank you Scottie! It was easier than I thought

Back
Top Bottom