New Substack - Quantum Musings

Ryan

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hi All,

I've been suspecting for a long time that I should be doing more writing, and after putting a few articles 'on hold' since 2020 as other circumstances took priority, I let the fact that my research interests weren't aligning with my unfinished articles become an excuse for letting my writing lapse.

Recently, I've decided that the best approach would be to just start writing regularly, to a schedule, and build the habit of consistently delivering, even if the quality is not as 'polished' as it otherwise could be. I think that getting into the 'groove' with this will help me to complete my unfinished articles and build good research habits that don't necessarily require a linear approach of "read, take notes, write" one book at a time, although still applying myself in a disciplined way when necessary.

So, I've started a Substack newsletter named, "Quantum Musings". I'm publishing fortnightly on a Friday afternoon (UTC). Here's my introduction post:

The "About" page gives the gist of the newsletter, however this bit probably sums it up best:

This newsletter is about both the Seen and the Unseen, the Microcosm and the Macrocosm, the Actual and the Possible, Order, Chaos, and the process of learning to navigate the Middle Way as optimally as possible.

Or, as Douglas Adams so eloquently put it: “Life, The Universe, and Everything”. If this sounds like your cup of tea, feel free to subscribe.

Big thanks to @Laura, @Joe, @ark and @Approaching Infinity for the general inspiration regarding writing and help over the years in getting me 'onto the rails' regarding this, and especially @luc for his example of how to "just begin it" and make it work. I was very tempted to do this at the time luc first mentioned his Substack, but I wasn't quite integrated enough to see a clear direction. Now, I'm hoping that I have enough Knowledge & Being to be able to provide a decent Service To Others in this way.

I guess we'll "wait and see", only I won't be waiting, I'll be busy writing! 😄 :wizard:

Hi All,

I've been suspecting for a long time that I should be doing more writing, and after putting a few articles 'on hold' since 2020 as other circumstances took priority, I let the fact that my research interests weren't aligning with my unfinished articles become an excuse for letting my writing lapse.

Recently, I've decided that the best approach would be to just start writing regularly, to a schedule, and build the habit of consistently delivering, even if the quality is not as 'polished' as it otherwise could be. I think that getting into the 'groove' with this will help me to complete my unfinished articles and build good research habits that don't necessarily require a linear approach of "read, take notes, write" one book at a time, although still applying myself in a disciplined way when necessary.

So, I've started a Substack newsletter named, "Quantum Musings". I'm publishing fortnightly on a Friday afternoon (UTC). Here's my introduction post:

The "About" page gives the gist of the newsletter, however this bit probably sums it up best:

Big thanks to @Laura, @Joe, @ark and @Approaching Infinity for the general inspiration regarding writing and help over the years in getting me 'onto the rails' regarding this, and especially @luc for his example of how to "just begin it" and make it work. I was very tempted to do this at the time luc first mentioned his Substack, but I wasn't quite integrated enough to see a clear direction. Now, I'm hoping that I have enough Knowledge & Being to be able to provide a decent Service To Others in this way.

I guess we'll "wait and see", only I won't be waiting, I'll be busy writing! 😄 :wizard:
Thank you Ryan. Very interesting start. Like they say... Keep up with the good work!

Good start and good luck Ryan! Thoughtful article, I hope it gets some discussion going among the cyber denizens.

From 1st article:
[...] Carried further, this process may begin to reveal certain conditions about our existence and role in society, faulty paradigms that have shaped our thought processes since birth, and kept our attention focused only on a specific range of possibilities bounded by the axioms of materialism, behaviourism, game theory, macroeconomics and religious fundamentalism, to mention just a few of the major ones.

Machinations of the Predator's Mind, these axioms are tautologies at their core. There is no 'scarcity' as the Cs say.

Hello Ryan, what you wrote is nice, go on ! :-D

I post here to say that i'm in a kind of similar postion than the one you describe.
I regularly write some texts, unachieved, saved as draft, and do not come back on them. It's usually after a "confrontation" with one relative that i have in mind to write a text, or an article, in which i can more clearly and precisely describe my arguments., or after having read a pertinent article that i have such or such relative in mind.
I also remember one post here, dated of +/- 1y (or more, time is unfolding so rapidly nowodays), i think it's from @Keyhole but not sure, but which mentions that as soon as he (the membler, whoever he is) started to write down under the form of articles posted on the web what he tried to explain in live (direct talking) that he was suddently better considered by the same relatives and thus, the message better reached the people. About this fact, this makes me think that these relatives who do not ... let's say "believe you" are simply, on a psychological level, giving more attention to what you are trying to pass them (as information) and become more opened to take care of your arguments not because they are written (many do not like to read nowodays, or read long texts), but because it's on a website, because it's more ... let's say "official", a little bit like the ash of milgram experiments, the fact that as it's more official then it should be more accurate or true. I don't know if i well expressed what i wanted to say here, i hope so.

So right now, i have a similar idea to write something about climate changes and the big CO2 hoax, i would like to write an article to explain in details on the facts that demonstrate that it's an hoax. And, in parallel, since a couple of years now i had an idea to put in place something new in term of ... form of the information. I had in mind the term, in french "dossier vivant", or in english it could be translated by "live file", or "life topic", which would not then be an article or a series of articles which would remain unchanged once posted, or static, but on the contrary, some articles, divided in sub-sections/chapters in order to avoid too long articles, and which can be updated at any time to add more information, more proofs, examples, arguments, etc ... So, this will not be anymore one article on a specific subject, but a file, divided in chapters, with open comments helping the author to update any part of the text of the different "chapters" of the whole file. This would result in a kind of meta-analysis of a specific subject, like some websites i regularly saw which only focus on one subject, but they usually lack a kind of methodology to follow. This is similar to one teacher who prepare his lessons, when he starts his career, he has to start from scratch, but from year to year, he updates the courses/lessons, affinate/correct/enhance/complete them.

To come back on the idea but for a website, when an individual arrives on such "focussed" websites and when there are too many information scattered within the site, it can rapildy become too confusing (people can rapidly be lost by too much information and need to be taken by the hand), it rapidly demotivate any lambda reader to start to read it, people do not know by what to start. In french, the term i have in mind is "grille de lecture", purely translated to english it's "reading grid", like a course to follow, start with exercice one, then the next and so on, which here is read this article, then listen to this video + read this article which explain more in detail some elements of the video, and so on. On the pracital side, the website would allow some tools to create such "live files", allowing correction but also versionning, like an application wich evolves (version v1.0, v1.1, v2.0, etc ...), it would allow to read previous version of any article/sub-topic of the main topic, so anyone could read the "changelog" of an article, what was added/modified/removed, this would allow to remain transparent.
This is a little bit achieved with the comments following an article, usually, intelligent comments made by internauts (i of course remove here all the bad/negative comments), add to the knowledge provided by the article, or help to dig more deeper in some sub-topics of the main topic - in other words : intelligent/smart/accurate comments enhance the information, complete it. My idea here is finally to integrate these comments/remarks (the useful ones) + your own researches by updating any "chapter" of the "live file" that one manage to keep up-to-date. This can be seen as optimizing the information, rendering it from more to more true, complete, accurate, enhanced with from more to more practical (sometimes historical) examples, and so on.
Finally, thinking twice about, if one word could summarize the "idea" this is the word "pedagogy", adding more pedagogy to a website in order to ease the learning experience for any lambda reader.

Seems that i wanted to type something today ^^
Cheers to anyone who "came" here :-)

Last edited:
Hey Ryan!!

Great job on opening the Substack! :thup:

I really enjoyed reading your „musings“! I like your writing style, kind of combination of sf novel and metaphysics? Keeps people engaged and interested so keep up and looking forward to your next one!

:perfect:

Back
Top Bottom