New Slogan for SOTT?

Hey Sott.net team!

I was just wanting to put this out there, but have you ever thought about changing the phrasing for Sott.net?

Let's see, there's The World for People who Think.

My idea is The World for People who Think and Care. It's just an idea, but you could still use the globe, the people, the guy with gears turning in his head and then just add a heart or if that's too obvious to represent empathy then how about hands in a circle or maybe just a thumbs up. It could work, because there's nothing saying that the writers don't use critical thinking, it's just that part about caring that gets left out. Anyway think I'll leave it up to the editors to make that call. :thup:

I think it's not a bad idea. In fact, I think that "The World for People Who Care" isn't bad on its own.

If we change it, we should keep in mind that since it's been around for awhile, "The World for People who Think" is kind of part of SOTT's branding.

Search for that phrase in Google (logged out, via proxy) and you get Sott.net as the #1 result. It's also on our FB banners, Google+ banners, t-shirts, desktop wallpapers, radio show intro, some podcasts... everywhere. In 4 languages.

So, we'll have to rebuild this sort of "brand recognition" if the phrase changes. Large corporations can of course do this very easily, because they just spend millions on advertising so that everyone knows the new catch phrase. But us, well... it'll take awhile to catch on.

Well, that's from a technical/marketing perspective.

On second thought, what if we used some kind of "Care" slogan for Cassiopaea? We don't have one for Cass...

I understand Mr. Scott's concerns. I did the Google search and "The World for People Who Think" is definitely 'branded' with SOTT.

For Cassiopaea, C words would be neat. 3 of them maybe?

Compassion, Conscience, and Consciousness

It's not exactly a slogan but...

Let me think a little on how to incorporate those words into a slogan.

I guess I can understand the brand recognition via search engines and the marketing to change it all would seem to be a big task.

The Cassiopaea idea might actuall work out okay. You could possibly put 'The World for People Who Care'

If, BrightLight11, you've come up with anything it'll be interesting to see what turns up out those three C words.

Mr. Scott said:
[...]
It's also on our FB banners, Google+ banners, t-shirts, desktop wallpapers, radio show intro, some podcasts... everywhere. In 4 languages.
[...]

BrightLight11 said:
I understand Mr. Scott's concerns.
[...]

Yup, me too.. As a techie, I cringe when I hear about cosmetic changes when my job jar is a 55 gallon drum. That's a lot of tedious hard coding. Definitely part of the glamour and glory of pounding out code, along with emails, telephone calls and meetings. But... Perhaps take another view? This may be an opportunity to remove some hard coding that would provide future benefit??? A little pain with hopefully a lot of gain down the road...
;) ;) ;)

CelticWarrior said:
I guess I can understand the brand recognition via search engines and the marketing to change it all would seem to be a big task.

The Cassiopaea idea might actuall work out okay. You could possibly put 'The World for People Who Care'

If, BrightLight11, you've come up with anything it'll be interesting to see what turns up out those three C words.

Well I have this: 'Cassiopaea: A Conscientious and Compassionate Community'
I didn't exactly incorporate the original 3 words I mentioned, but I see "conscientious" as a combination of consciousness and conscience.

Still thinking... :cool2:

ADDED: How about?

'Cassiopaea: A Conscientious and Compassionate Community'
-The World for People Who Care-

I just incorporated what CelticWarrior had originally thought up for SOTT with what I have so far.

The word 'care' and the image of hands in a circle feel a bit new-agey and cliched for me.
Compassion can be actioned more effectively with knowledge. Maybe something like 'compassion through knowledge' might be worth looking at.
Just my two pence worth.

The Strawman said:
The word 'care' and the image of hands in a circle feel a bit new-agey and cliched for me.
Compassion can be actioned more effectively with knowledge. Maybe something like 'compassion through knowledge' might be worth looking at.
Just my two pence worth.

I quite like that. I always associate the slogan 'Knowledge protects, ignorance endangers' with Cass. Or even just 'Knowledge protects'.

BrightLight11 said:
How about?

'Cassiopaea: A Conscientious and Compassionate Community'
-The World for People Who Care-

I just incorporated what CelticWarrior had originally thought up for SOTT with what I have so far.

Hey that works! I'd say you hit the bullseye on the creative structure of the title and slogan. As for the symbols I mentioned, perhaps the knowledge part (the wheels in motion) was always the best idea of course.

Well, it's all up to Laura and the moderators what will happen with it.

Edit=Quote

Pob said:
The Strawman said:
Just my two pence worth.

I quite like that. I always associate the slogan 'Knowledge protects, ignorance endangers' with Cass. Or even just 'Knowledge protects'.
Yes, I also like that. Although I prefer the word empathy to compassion, the last one has been used as a weapon by the monotheistic dogma. Though that may something good to recover the word compassion for use by normal people.

Back
Top Bottom