5 Medium-size Jalapenos
3 Medium-size Tomatillos
1 Bunch of Green onions
1 Bunch of Cilantro/Coriander
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Lime (Squeezed)
3 Banana Peppers(yellow)
3 tsp of Black Pepper (Ground)
3 tsp of Cheyenne/cayenne Pepper (Ground)
3 tsp of Sea Salt (Air-dried)
3 Squirts of Chipotle or any Tabasco

*Optional* Red Chili, Habanero, or Serrano peppers can be added to make this salsa SPICY! :) I prefer Serrano, readily available in most stores, not too hot, just hot enough to make it yummy without being too hot to distract from the flavor.

The red ingredients should be equal to the green/yellow (1/2 and 1/2)

Cut off the ends of all the peppers, tomatoes, onions, lime, etc.
Can cut the stalk part off the cilantro too, keep just the leafy part.

Cut into manageable size if using a hand salsa maker. Otherwise just throw in the blender and reach desired consistency. I prefer small diced salsa, not runny, not chunky(Evenly distributes flavor, especially if left overnight(recommended for flavor disbursement)).

Make sure to stir well if you use hand-operated device, to get the ground ingredients and sea salt mixed in well.

ENJOY.

I'm glad you posted a recipe! Hopefully, a few others will share their favorites too. My girls are always making big batches of salsa (like, by the gallons), but it never lasts long in this house!

I make salsa with tomatoes, garlic, green onion, cilantro, salt, jalepenos, and lime juice. I toss everything in blender, give it whirl, and down the hatch it goes.

I also make habenero hot sauce. This stuff is good. I read the ingredients from a bottle at a restaurant and winged it. Simmer half dozen (or maybe a few more) de-seeded habeneros in apple cider vineger along with a couple of carrots that have been turn to pulp in a blender (or food processor) -- add some onion if you like (I use green onions). Cook it on relatively low heat (simmer I guess) until the carrots are soft, adding more vinegar if it evaporates too much. After it cooks then put it back in the blender and mix it real good to further break down carrots. Add some vinegar to get the preferred consistency, some salt, and some garlic. Add some lime juice too, which helps keep it from discoloring and adds some flavor. Then bottle it. Gotta be careful though, cooking that stuff in an unventilated kitchen might hurt some people's lungs or eyes! That stuff is good though :) I make the same type of sauce with jalepenos and sometimes red peppers. In my opinion these are far better than Tabasco, which I cannot tolerate the taste of .

mark said:
I also make habenero hot sauce.

Gotta be careful though, cooking that stuff in an unventilated kitchen might hurt some people's lungs or eyes!
lol, I will sometimes simmer chicken in salsa (w/habeneros) but once I let them go too long. The smoke from the burned peppers was reminiscent of tear gas.

Rhansen said:
The smoke from the burned peppers was reminiscent of tear gas.
No kidding! It doesn't bother me much but others have expressed a bit of concern about it.

I'm trying to think of something catchy yet serious enough to put on the bottle, maybe like "Don't try this at home" :D

Back
Top Bottom