New Mexico

Yupo

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I'm going to Pecos National Forest next week for a painting class.
I'm excited as I have never seen this part of the country.
Any recommendations for things to see? Warnings of what to avoid? I will be going through Albuquerque and Santa Fe.
I might get to see some of the balloon festival as well.

I lived in New Mexico for a while and I absolutely loved it. My first time seeing it was on a car trip. My husband and I decided we wanted to see Arizona and New Mexico, as I had always loved seeing the scenes from those states in movies. We drove straight through from Tampa, Florida to Albuquerque, NM. Yes, it was crazy! Coming from west Texas in the early morning, we came up over a ridge on I-40, and my first sight of New Mexico took my breath away! It was the wide, open space, the desert, the big rocks, everything I had seen in the movies and more. Everything seemed so clean, the sky was so blue and the air clear.

One thing you might enjoy is taking the tram in Albuquerque. It goes up the side of the mountain to the peak where you can look all around.

For me, New Mexico (and Arizona) are enchanted places. Some would say, "what's to see, it's a bunch of all the same - desert", but there is much if you take the time to look.

Hello. I live in Albuquerque and I really enjoy being Here.Old Town Is Nice To Visit And If You Like Bargains The Flea Market At The Fair GroundS Is Great. Enjoy The Trip. :). Forgive My Grammer Please I Have Yet To Figure Out The Settings On My New Phone. ;)

If you have the time and energy recommend visiting Taos, which is approximately about 135 miles North of Albuquerque.

It is also home to one New Mexico's famed artist colony's.

Some say it is magical in sights and rich in culture, not to be missed.

Good luck and safe driving.

Taos.org
http://taos.org/

Taos Art Colony
http://taos.org/html-assets/file/2015%20pdf's/Taos_Blue_Trail_Walking_Sept_copying.pdf

Milestone_Pueblo_D_Luhan_copy_crop1000x505_1609158581.jpg

taos_county_map_2_crop793x306_1655923762.jpg

There is a small town called Chimayo that is sort of between Santa Fe and Taos. It is sometimes called the Lourdes of the US, since the sanctuary there is a pilgrimage destination and has a history of miracle healings.

I find that the place where the sanctuary is has a very special and supportive kind of energy, almost like a positive energy vortex that has nothing to do with Christianity.

Wow.
Slightly different subject:
I was in Las Vegas maybe 10 or 12 years ago. Gambling/drinking/shows are not really my thing, but art is. Some of the hotels there had amazingly good mini-museums with world class art exhibits. It was like they were trying to outdo each other.
One place had 20 or 30 of Monet's pieces from various periods of his career. In particular were a large group of his paintings of the cathedral at Rouen, all hung together. I'd seen a painting or 2 of this before, but never a group of them together.
In this moment I understood that painting is a study of light, not of objects. Light is different every day and every hour and every place. So now when I travel I notice the light. Spain is very different than NC in this way. But even here, every moment has beauty if one takes the time to see it.
Long story short... when I looked at that photo of Chimao, I remembered about the fleeting singularity of the light. So, so very beautiful.
As you might imagine, I suffer terribly from Stendhal Syndrome.

Back
Top Bottom