Neuroplasticity and Education

SMM

The Living Force
These are some videos from an Eaton Arrowsmith conference on neuroplasticity and education. The focal point is on learning disabilities and cognitive deficits.

A wide array of matters are covered over the course of the conference related to neuroplasticity. Topics discussed include epigenetics, mindfulness, stress and emotional safety, cognition and malleability of the brain (an obvious one), exercise, effects of the current [education] system on its members and so on.

It is also interesting to observe how a few of the speakers tend toward the idea that smaller groups and communities - like hunter-gatherer size and style of living - thrive the best.

Psychopathology is not taken into account unsurprisingly.

Max Cynader

https://youtu.be/tUXXbISrhS8

"Neurons that fire together, wire together" is the motto. Cynader talks about developments in neuroscience and introduces brain plasticity. He dives a little into epigenetics and methylation which I think are VERY important sectors of future study, as well as cytokines and/or stem cells. He talks about how health adversaries can be mediated by neuroplasticity and epigenetics.

Methylation controls which groups of genes are read. It also increases surface area and enables cell divisions among other functions, which could be a direct result of activating - partially or wholly - a set of genes. In a sense we could say methylation regulates epigenes through the environmental.

John Ratey

https://youtu.be/lRwMf7QVMvs

Ratey talks through the hows and whys of neuron activation and growth [neurogenesis] acceleration as a result of exercise. How exercise effects the brain, its capacity to learn, make receptors and optimizes neuroplasticity. In short, increased GABA, better circulation increases oxygen transportation to the brain, changing its chemistry and creating a cellular environment that is conducive to new pathways. The most significant impact of exercise is in the hippocampus.

One point that stuck with me which I thought was worth noting was a quote, "That which we call thinking is the evolutionary internalization of movement." It reminded me of the long-wave/short-wave cycle as described by the C's, as they relate to densities, and how conduction of nerves in the brain are electric thus receptive of electric charge influences from external sources. If that makes sense?

His new book "Go Wild" (June 3rd release) is an effort to give an account of hunter-gatherer living features: diet, exercise, play, sleep, biophilia [being out in nature], mindfulness, connections and small tribes.

I'm especially curious about the diet and what is said on that.

Gabor Mate

https://youtu.be/OgiqMQTfw1Y

Mate discusses the emotional basis of cognition concerning the viscera and emotions. His talks centers around the development of emotional [brain] circuits and pre-frontal cortex and their impact on a brain's ability to learn. Our internal body state sends the brain a lot of information, emotions and survival instincts are brought into awareness through this mechanism.

The argument extends to our current culture and society, as a civilization, being detrimental to brain development. Epigenetics features in his talk, how a nurturing environment or not modulates the activity of genes. He touches on stress, disassociation, vulnerability and growth. Mate mentions a study where hunter-gatherer tribes provided an optimal nurturing environment due to decreased stress.

Rick Hanson

https://youtu.be/IflQtD_4BEU

Rick Hanson talks about mindfulness and the benefit of meditation. He uses ideas supported by Porges' Polyvagal Theory. I think a lot of what he talks about is congruent with brain wave synchronicity and "like attracts like". In short he presents an idea of self-directed neuroplasticity: "Pet the lizard, feed the mouse, hug the monkey" as an analogy for the three tiers of the brain respectively (reptillian, limbic, mammalian) and how what we experience form structures in the brain - the cycle of learning.

Hanson's main thesis is that the brain has a negativity bias - it easily forgets positive experiences (or has greater difficulty absorbing positive experiences) and repeatedly centralizes on negative ones, forming structures corresponding to same. By learning to absorb positive experiences, we can act in such a way to use and cultivate the mind to change the brain to change the mind for the better.

Brad Hale

https://youtu.be/7crkRFFtVkU

Hale's talk is more practical and education-based. He talks about individual differences (cognitive abilites and experiences) in learning disabled children and how adults and other people supporting and teaching these children are not in possession of empirically evinced psychological education and scientific methods, such as neuroplasticity.

I think he proposes that science is not doing enough in this regard. Academia use reductionist numerical means of testing for disability, potential and awarding qualifications and behaviourist standards of correction. An example of this would be the markedly high sales of prescription drugs to control a child's behaviour in the classroom e.g. Ritalin for ADHD.

This can be applied on a larger scale if we consider a system that attempts to teach us what to think, not how to think. He proposes educating educators based on epigenetics, cognitive development and neuroplasticity studies. I think everyone can benefit with knowledge therefrom.

Panel Discussion - Q&A from audience members

https://youtu.be/00gQPVT3NhU

Thank you for sharing these videos along with summaries SMM, they sound very interesting and I shall gradually make my way through watching :).

Dr. Gabor Mate is very well versed in the latest science of neoroplasticity. He is a leader at the forefront of addiction as well. There are many of his talks on youtube if anyone is interested.

Great find. Eaton Arrowsmith School was featured in The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge. There's a thread on the book here here. The way he writes about neuroplasticity makes the science rather inspiring. Lots of stories are included, and he has a nice section about the school and the work they do. They work with kids with disabilities who are told pretty much everywhere else that their condition is pervasive and unchangeable, and they provide their students with various exercises that actually change their brain. Fascinating stuff.

Looking forward to watching these.

I would like to offer my gratitude for the videos as well SMM. They linked up well together and I especially liked Gabor Mate'! He clearly understands addiction through its expressions and causes. Taken as a whole the videos are excellent.

Renaissance said:
Great find. Eaton Arrowsmith School was featured in The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge. There's a thread on the book here here. The way he writes about neuroplasticity makes the science rather inspiring. Lots of stories are included, and he has a nice section about the school and the work they do. They work with kids with disabilities who are told pretty much everywhere else that their condition is pervasive and unchangeable, and they provide their students with various exercises that actually change their brain. Fascinating stuff.

Looking forward to watching these.

Thanks for the heads up Renaissance! Brain Changer and The Brain that Changes Itself are two books I'd be interested in reading. I definitely think education systems have become the least proficient place for learning and growth. They need to be tailored dramatically but yeah, as Gabor alludes to, the whole system is spiralling downwards and the STSness is rampant.

There is another video which complements what is presented in terms of neuroplasticity above, if I remember rightly. Gordon Neufield talks children's attachment to adults and how it impacts brain development:

https://youtu.be/UlMkWJY5T_w

Actually Youtube is rampant with these videos. An accompanying video which was posted in The Polyvagal Theory thread, which I think is a wonderful complement to this series, was this interview with Stephen Porges:

https://youtu.be/8tz146HQotY

davey72 said:
Dr. Gabor Mate is very well versed in the latest science of neoroplasticity. He is a leader at the forefront of addiction as well. There are many of his talks on youtube if anyone is interested.

Yes, he has written good books on related topics. A thread discussing one of his book In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts can be found here.

I understand much more comprehensively when i can hear discussions on subjects, particularly those i view as technical or am unfamiliar with. Gabor Mate is one of the speakers who defined the mechanism of epigentics for me.

I've just started the psychology reading recommendations and am working through 'the myth of sanity' right now (and Gnosis 3), and last week i listened to a few talks i'd missed by John Taylor Gatto. So i am primed and ready for these!

(As a reminder, you can download and convert these to mp3's and load them onto your media player if you don't have time (or space) to watch them. _www.offliberty.com is always quick and doesn't require installation)

Thank you for the posting! :D

Back
Top Bottom