"Mysterious Creature Found In Juneau County, WI"...chupacabra?

Skyfarmr

Jedi Master
Caught this story on the morning news today. It includes pictures/slideshow and video.
From the channel 3 website:
On his drives throughout the county, Juneau County highway worker Jeff Potter said he comes across countless dead wildlife. But he said he's never come across anything quite like the creature he found dead along Highway 71 in the city of Elroy on Monday morning.

"It's completely hairless -- almost like leather," Potter said. "It has a canine-like head and a fox- or dog-type head. The rear legs are coon-like. The tail is almost like an opossum."

Potter, who is an avid hunter and outdoors man, was left speechless. And he's not alone.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/28627531/detail.html

Could someone else who has the skill of getting the image from there to here add that to a post in this thread? Thanks a bunch!

The creature looks very similar to the "Elmendorf Beast" http://www.google.com/search?q=elmendorf+beast+pictures&hl=en&rlz=1T4IRFA_en___US400&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=xqcpTuXGNZOftwehnKHXAg&ved=0CBkQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=494

But what I would like to know is how these canine looking critters came to be "chupacabras"???

I always thought the chupas were bipedal creatures, with spines on their backs, possibly with wings and kangaroo like hind legs-and glowing red eyes (at least this is the original "eye witness" descriptions from Mexico / Puerto Rico of folks that have allegedly encountered these creatures)

See here http://wiki.ask.com/Chupacabra for a description and "sketch" of a purported chupacabra

Since no photos have ever been taken of an actual living chupacabra in the "act" of desanguinating a victim I guess any weird looking animal will take on the moniker of chupacabra...

Gandalf said:
Nienna Eluch said:
I am getting a time out on this link.

And I have an error with this link.

Edit: I have fixed the link.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks Gandalf for the link fix. I was in a bit of a hurry this morning.

A thought that came to mind after going back to look at the pictures. To me, it appears to me as if it has a protruding umbilical cord, like it wasn't born that long ago(?)...it just has that newborn/fetal look to it :huh:...although, according to the news story someone else had witnessed it (or something similar) alive a couple of weeks earlier.
Hopefully there will be a follow up story after the UW researchers check it out.

Here's the image of the poor creature.

Attachments

• chupa.jpg
    chupa.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 132
Skyfarmr said:
it just has that newborn/fetal look to it :huh:...although, according to the news story someone else had witnessed it (or something similar) alive a couple of weeks earlier.
I doubt it as it has pretty developed canine teeth. It could be the animal is in bad state of decomposition which caused the abdomen to bloat and distorted normal topography, hence what you think is umbilical cord could be the penis, but its hard to say from the pictures.

The first thing I thought of was 'failed government experiment'. I mean it definitely looks like it was recently born to me. A failed birth but from what I'm not sure. The hind legs look fused together so I don't understand how it would have survived anyway. Poor creature.

Edit: looking at this picture now I can't really understand why I thought it's legs were fused.. :huh: Sorry about that.

This is a related story by the same local TV station which aired about a week after the first roadkill story. This story is about some teens who witnessed this creature alive and roaming, prior to the first roadkill story. Apparently, they connected their strange siting of this animal after the story ran.
(FYI, Montello is approx. 25-30 east of Elroy, WI, with the Wisconsin river about midway between the two.)

Another Mysterious Creature Spotted
Creature Found Dead Last Week In Juneau County
http://www.channel3000.com/news/28699088/detail.html

MONTELLO, Wis. -- There's yet another claim that a mysterious, unknown creature is roaming around south-central Wisconsin.

Last week, a Juneau County man claimed he found a hairless, mysterious looking creature along side a highway just outside Elroy. A debate ensued -- was it just a sick animal, the legendary goat-sucking Chupacabra, or something else?

Whatever it is, a group of children in Montello said they have one living in their neighborhood. They claim they saw the same creature -- alive -- roaming around last week.

"The head looked like a rat, and then the body looked like a fox. It had fangs and it had really long toes," said Shane Turner, who said he came within five feet of the creature.

Turner said it ran through the outfield while he and friends were at baseball practice.

Another group of children said they saw it near their house less than a mile from the baseball diamond.

"It was really short and skinny, and it was hairless," said Casey McNamara, who saw the creature when she and her family were pulling into their driveway.

Ciara Neeb, who also saw the creature at the baseball diamond, said the animal was so strange looking, she ran toward it to get a closer look.

She said it ran off, but she knows it was like something she had never seen before.

"It wasn't until after they had seen it that we found out about your story," Ciara's mom, Cyndi Neeb said. "She said, 'Mom, that's it. I know that was it!'"

No one got any pictures of the creature, but the children claim something very strange is hanging out in their woods.

Based on pictures from last week's find in Elroy, experts said they think it's likely a manged raccoon. But the children said they just don't buy it.

"I know what mange looks like. It's like patchy," Ciara Neeb said. "It's not like [that], all the fur is gone."

Ciara said there's just no other explanation, except the hypothesis she's formed.

"I think it's a new species," she said. "Or a hybrid of animal that maybe we don't know about."

Jeff Potter, who found the dead animal in Elroy last week and still has that animal preserved in his freezer, said he continues to search for help to determine exactly what the animal is.

Potter said a scientist from Ohio has gotten in touch, and he has plans to do a DNA test in an attempt to get to the bottom of the mystery.

Witnessing this animal in a live state seems to dispel the hairless, bloating, decomposing conclusion; but would help to have photos or video footage, since not everyone will take kids seriously.

What seems strange to me...you'd think the DNR and researchers would be all over this trying to determine what this animal is; new species? possible, but what if it IS a disease affecting WI wildlife?... you'd THINK they would want to understand it ASAP.

Interestingly, these two occurrences also happen to be within 30 miles of the abandoned Badger Ammunition Plant,
In 1941, the U. S. Army acquired[actually, it was seized from the Ho Chunk nation] 7,354 acres of farm land in Sauk County, Wisconsin, to build what would become the Badger Ammunition Plant, the largest such facility in the world. The Badger plant remained active until 1975, employing, at its peak, more than 23,000 people. In 1997 it was declared surplus property by the Army. A decade-long process was begun to clean the site of toxic materials and determine its future.

Also, from this report:
Response to WDPH’s Health Advisory Level for DNT Mixtures
Environmental Stewardship Concepts
On Behalf of
Citizens for Clean Water Around Badger
November 15, 2007
http://www.cswab.org/DNT%20HAL%20formal%20comments%20to%20WDPH%20final.pdf (this link requires a password; google: "Citizens for Clean Water Around Badger", which is how I found this pdf)
PCBs are present at Badger, and there is evidence that prior exposure to PCBs (specifically Aroclor 1254, the Aroclor most commonly found at Badger) can promote the mutagenic toxicity of DNT by as much as four-fold by increasing the number of genotoxic metabolites produced by the liver (Chadwick et al 1993). The study by Chadwick et al that identified this synergy focused on the genotoxicity of DNT[dinitrotoluene], and it is more than possible that non-cancer endpoints could be affected as well because the changes in genetic structure that may lead to cancer also affect the ability of the liver to process lipids (Wintz et al 2006). Regarding the PCB occurrence at Badger, while the drinking water levels of PCB’s are non-detect, the exposures of the population in the immediate vicinity[including animals?] is greater because Badger is a PCB source. Other investigations on exposures related to proximity to sources indicate that human exposures and body burdens of PCB’s and dioxins are elevated in people living in the vicinity of known PCB or dioxin sources. The lesson for Badger is that the people in the area likely have elevated levels of PCB’s in their bodies.

The authors of this report basically are urging for the study of the effects of these toxins in the combination they are found, rather than relying on the toxicology reports of each toxin individually. "There is evidence that prior exposure to PCBs can promote the mutagenic toxicity of DNT by as much as four-fold by increasing the number of genotoxic metabolites produced by the liver"

It may be speculative to try to make a connection here, but worthy, IMO, to tuck this information away as a possible source of toxic exposure to animals that can't read the KEEP OUT signs around Badger and most likely drink from the numerous springfed waters in the area. Anyone unfamiliar with this beautiful tourist-attracting part of Central WI should also know this is relatively close to The WIsconsin Dells recreational area as well as Devil's Lake State Park (Baraboo). In fact, these two areas are in the triangular region formed by Elroy, Montello and the Badger Ammunition Plant.

My point, being...shhhhhh, we don't want to tarnish our tourist industry!
Money talks, mutants walk?...
and the WI DNR (who now reports to the Gov'na directly) seems to be gagged.

Hey, this was breaking news 2 days ago on Yahoo. I apologize for the video's commentary, lol, you will know what I'm talking about if you watch this. Seems they actually trapped a live Chupacabra and have excellent video of it moving around in the cage http://uservideos.smashits.com/video/ndNiqNBJXe4/trapped-chupacabra-captured-on-video-2011.html

Crystla24 said:
Hey, this was breaking news 2 days ago on Yahoo. I apologize for the video's commentary, lol, you will know what I'm talking about if you watch this. Seems they actually trapped a live Chupacabra and have excellent video of it moving around in the cage http://uservideos.smashits.com/video/ndNiqNBJXe4/trapped-chupacabra-captured-on-video-2011.html

When are they going to stop calling every hairless animal a Chupacabras? It really is getting old. What the media won't do for ratings.

According to the Chubacabras sightings in Mexico and Central/South Americas, the Chubacabras is a blood-sucking creature. It leaves punctures in the neck (usually) and sucks all of the blood out of the animal.

Seeing how the animals that are making headlines in most media coverage, especially in the U.S., are eating solid food, have teeth with canines, etc. I would say that these are not anything related to the Chupacabras.

My question is why are there so many hairless animals being found lately. Most that have been sighted are racoons. I don't know what this creature is, the ears are very long. But a Chupacabras? No.

Back
Top Bottom