my ultrabroth test.

So I decided to try to make some ultrabroth. My cooking isn't all that great and being a single guy my kitchen utensil's are well inadequate.
I'm using a pretty big stainless steel cookpot? Its big and stainless, I really don't know the proper term. I used 1.5 gallons distilled water with the following ingredients.
1. 10 oz fresh spinach.
2. 2- onions, ew my eyes still water.
3. 6- garlic gloves, first time doing that!
4. 1- head of celery
5. 1- .5 lb? small pumpkin. Pulled out the seeds and stringy stuff
6. 1- butternut squash, pulled out the seeds, never tried this item before, have no idea how it tastes.

I bought 2 2qt covered glass dishes to put it in. I know this is called simple for a reason but has anyone else done it a different way? I wasn't quite sure on how to prepare the pumpkin or squash with this recipe? I plan on cooking this 2-3 hours while checking it at 2 hours and going from there. Feedback would be appreciated! :D

PS, this is a lot different than the mac and cheese i used to cook :lol:

Hi shadowsaround

I use just over 1/2 gallon (2 1/2l) of filtered water in a large stainless steel cookpot, to which I add 3 large carrots, a head of celery, spinach, and a courgette, each ingredient chopped/sliced up. This is brought to the boil and cooked for 2 hrs. Previously when doing the UltraBroth, I added onions too. So your ingredients look ok. After 2 hrs, I allow the mixture to cool (makes it easier when handling the cheesecloth to strain it later), then filter/strain it though a two layers of folded cheesecloth into another large suacepan (need two), and as the cheesecloth and funnel fully fill with vegetables I gather up the edges of the cheesecloth and lightly squeeze out any remaining juice. When all the vegetables and broth has been filtered, I decant the UltraBroth into two wide neck vacuum flasks - hot the first day and cold the second day.

This may help, or not.

shadowsaround said:
I cant believe i forgot to add carrots...I don't have any cheesecloth, what could be an alternative?

You can use a good strainer or a nut milk bag (you could use this one for your home milk) (_http://store.therawdiet.com/nutmilk.html)

yhst-19967182972018_2125_10731339

I have one and I really liked it. Work very well and a lot better that cheesecloth.

shadowsaround said:
1. 10 oz fresh spinach.
2. 2- onions, ew my eyes still water.
3. 6- garlic gloves, first time doing that!
4. 1- head of celery
5. 1- .5 lb? small pumpkin. Pulled out the seeds and stringy stuff
6. 1- butternut squash, pulled out the seeds, never tried this item before, have no idea how it tastes.

Wow, that didn't come out like I expected. This batch didn't quite work out too well and it smelled funny. Tried to drink a glass and got two sips down before my stomach told me no more. Next batch I'll try everything minus the pumpkin and butternut squash, maybe 1 onion instead of two.

Edit: Moderators should this be moved into the recipe section?

It can't be worse than the time I put a whole head of garlic into my broth. I was thinking that garlic was good for you and didn't think a whole head was much. But it was really foul with a pungent garlic taste. So that week I didn't look forward to the broth. I usually put squash like butternut, acorn, or buttercup and it makes it taste nice and sweet. But I haven't been making it lately because it takes a while to make.

Thanks for writing this thread because I've been curious what others have been putting in their broth. It took me a few batches before I was able to create something that I actually enjoy tasting. I add these ingredients to mine:

2 onions
about 6 carrots
about 4 cloves of garlic
a few handfuls of spinach
a whole head of celery
a few small slices of ginger
a teaspoon of sea salt

Sometimes I will add a sweet potato and I have added butternut squash in the past as well. After I boil the veggies I take the garlic and ginger pieces out and puree the rest to make soup in addition to the broth. :) Oh, and I use a stainless steel pot with a glass lid and fill the water about an inch and a half from the top so it *hopefully* doesn't boil over. :P

I keep it simple in a relatively large pot I put:

1) 4 to 8 carrots
2) A head (or 2) of celery
3) A handful of spinach
4) 2 cups or so of hard squash cut into cubes, though I've been buying it pre-cut since cutting those things takes some serious work.

Then I just pour sea salt into the mixture till it looks just right, I think I end up putting at least a tablespoon or more of it, but I never measure, I just do it by eye. In fact I don't tend to measure the above ingredient amounts too much either, just kinda eye it, hence the variation. I pretty much stick to just those ingredients and play with the amounts of each since they all have individual flavor they add to the broth so I just experimented until I got the flavor I needed. Generally I don't like too much celery and the carrots/squash is what I focus on to get the most flavor. Also I learned a salt lesson - don't go heavy on salt, you can always add more later, but it's harder to "de-salt" something if you oversalt it as you'd basically need to add water and that dilutes the whole thing.

After I have my broth, I tend to mush up the carrots/squash and leave them in for "substance", and only throw away the celery. Sometimes I'll eat it with sardines if I want some more substance. Often I make it together with baked chicken, fish, or sweet potato fries, so I'd eat it at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom