My Steemit blog

'whalepower'? Politics (of a sort) and internal strife, conflict...
https://steemit.com/steemit/@moeknows/why-the-whale-war-might-be-good-for-steemit
https://steemit.com/whalepower/@charles1/should-steemit-inc-impose-maximum-daily-post-limit-in-order-to-control-reward-pool-rape

Snippets from link and commenters:

"In case you haven't heard, there has been a bit of a controversy waging on steemit over the past few months."
"There used to be a 4 Post per day max and then you would start losing rewards for the 5th post. You were allowed to post more but the rewards for doing so fell."
"the drama of the war"
"the wrath of other whales"
"whales promoting flag wars"

"We used to have a daily post limit of 4 I think. It's not a bad idea to bring it back, because who can honestly say they write more than 4 good posts a day? Maybe one day you have more time to write posts than the other, but if that's the case, you can always save a few and quickly upload them, spread across the week. I would definitely be pro post limit of 3-4 a day."

Uhhhhh...

---

Evidently, the sharing of a SOTT repost article for example, will have the 'cheetah' bot take note of where it originally came from and link to that instead.

https://steemit.com/steem-help/@beanz/the-unwritten-rules-of-steemit said:
Plagiarism

The steemit community prefers original content.

For that reason, we have a Robocop in the form of @cheetah. The purpose of Cheetah Bot is to detect plagiarism. If you like something you read on an article for example, unlike Facebook or Twitter, you cannot simply 'share' this material with the steemit community. If you choose to copy and paste the article into a steemit post, Cheetah Bot will detect your plagiarism in order to warn the steemit community. Not to mention, you could be subjected to copyright laws!

There are ways around this that most steemians deem appropriate.
For instance if you like something you read on an article and you want to encourage a discussion on it, you could format your post to link the article and outline your own thoughts on it in order to engage with the rest of the community.

https://steemit.com/steem-help/@beanz/the-unwritten-rules-of-steemit said:
Plagiarism

The steemit community prefers original content.

For that reason, we have a Robocop in the form of @cheetah. The purpose of Cheetah Bot is to detect plagiarism. If you like something you read on an article for example, unlike Facebook or Twitter, you cannot simply 'share' this material with the steemit community. If you choose to copy and paste the article into a steemit post, Cheetah Bot will detect your plagiarism in order to warn the steemit community. Not to mention, you could be subjected to copyright laws!

There are ways around this that most steemians deem appropriate.
For instance if you like something you read on an article and you want to encourage a discussion on it, you could format your post to link the article and outline your own thoughts on it in order to engage with the rest of the community.
[/quote]

Thanks to everyone who has given tips and hints about using steemit.

I think the material in the above can be used to help develop thinking and communicating about the article comment - more active than just sharing so I think this will be beneficial.

Dakota said:
Keyhole said:
I have not been approved yet, but my account is: eonutrition

Keyhole, I tried to found you using Steemit Accounts - Google Docs but it seems that your address is invalid.

Thanks for adding me also on this list, I fixed the link to my Steemit as looked like a typo. Will follow those now and start sharing everyone's posts too.

I need to catch up on this thread as well, looks like plenty of interesting discussions and advice using Steemit. Ended up getting my first post getting above $150, most seemed to stay under $1 or $2. Still trying to figure out the ins and outs of it. I don't really get why those up voting bots are helpful for rewarding actual good content for example.

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to include tags somewhere in each sott.net article?

I don't really understand how the whole tag thing works, but I get the impression that tags influence a topics rank...the more a particular tag is used, the higher the subject is ranked?

If that's the case then if we are all using the same tag for the same article or subject, then we can influence the ranking of that article or subject.

Skysira said:
So I'm there now, and...:

ugh said:
You may only post once every 5 minutes.
:rolleyes: :nuts:

Keyhole said:
May have hit a stumbling block already. It wont let me post the third part of an article I was putting together:

eonutrition bandwidth limit exceeded. Please wait to transact or power up STEEM.

To prevent abuse, Steem uses the amount of Steem Power you have to determine how often you can do something (post/vote) on the platform. You ran into the limit because your account only have a small amount of SP when Steemit created it. Just wait for a short while and try again. Later, when you have some reward from writing, voting, your SP will increase and you won't likely encounter the limit again.

You can see the amount of Steem, Steem Power you have in the Wallet section. For example: _https://steemit.com/@skysira/transfers

Ant22 said:
What does "power up steem" mean? Would it help if we upvoted the first two parts of the article for example?

"Power up" means converting from Steem (the liquid crypto currency used on the platform) into Steem Power (the illiquid form of Steem). This is only applicable if you have some spare amount of Steem.

Jones said:
I don't really understand how the whole tag thing works, but I get the impression that tags influence a topics rank...the more a particular tag is used, the higher the subject is ranked?

Think of tags as topics that a post belongs to. When you click on a tag from the list on the left, you will see all recent posts with that tag. So it's best to add 2 - 3 popular tags (those on the left) and 1 - 2 specific tags on a post. You should add no more than 5 tags on a post.

Skysira said:
Evidently, the sharing of a SOTT repost article for example, will have the 'cheetah' bot take note of where it originally came from and link to that instead.

Darn it, as I was explaining some observations in an earlier post, I had forgotten this most important point.

It is not the end of the world to simply "repost" an SOTT article, but it will get flagged by a bot. Also, core active members of the community will have less respect for this approach.

You can however create a commentary on an article that you want to pass on and link to it in the post.

While it is more time consuming than simply copying and pasting an SOTT article, it is not a terrible exercise to be able to write a couple of paragraphs on why you think that article is interesting.

Came across yesterday that Lee Camp, from the RT show Redacted Tonight, had joined Steemit now after seeing how the censorship in Facebook is getting worse and worse.. Im still finding my way around steemit, im guessing it won't take long for more people like RT journos to move to Steemit.. Looking at how things are developing in Facebook :/

This is his profile for anyone who wants to follow him also: https://steemit.com/@leecamp

Hey folks, I just joined. Still figuring things out. Finally reached my breaking point with Facebook - Well, in fact, I've been exploring other platforms for awhile now. But I recently did a video on the extreme censorship anti-establishment voices like myself have been receiving on Facebook, and they responding by pulling it down and telling people it looked like spam. (So I guess they proved my point.) I have 335,000 follows there, but they hardly show my posts to anyone. It's clearly time to move on to a better way of communicating. I hope Steemit is the place.

And thanks everyone for the tips!

I got my steemit account approved. My nick: @drodriguez

I've added it to the google doc, and follow everyone else on it.

I didn't get a notification email though. After seeing some peeps that had signed up were getting theirs activated fairly quickly, I tried to send the confirmation again by clicking the link and it took me to page that said it was expired. On there was an option to manually activate it (or something - can't remember exactly). I did that and I was able to confirm my account. So anyone that is waiting for confirmation and it's been awhile, try the link again.

I came across this Steemit account that's about curating science based posts from across the Steemit ecosystem.

Community Project to Promote Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics Postings on Steemit

https://steemit.com/@steemstem

I'm not sure if it's based on submission and vetting those or they publish content that stands out for them. Perhaps both.

It could be a way for Sott, with a Sott Steemit account to create collections of others' posts from the community and / or elsewhere. For example there's a bunch of independent journalists moving to Steemit to publish because of restrictions on other platforms:
https://steemit.com/informationwar/@elizbethleavos/facebook-cracks-down-on-independent-media-under-guise-of-enhancing-relationships

Also happy for this thread to be renamed as more generic "Steemit" title and moved to another category other than Bloggers Blog, if admins see fit.

Thank you so much for sharing your profile names on Steem - I'm following all of you and have added my name to the GoogleDoc! :D

@vectorabbot

Back
Top Bottom