My Gluten-Free Spicy Pumpkin Pie

PhoenixToEmber

Jedi Council Member
Made this one yesterday, which was my second time making pumpkin pie. I altered the recipe slightly and added extra spices, and it came out great (not too spicy, but very flavorful) but the recipe can easily be adapted if it's too spicy for anyone.

Gluten-Free Spicy Pumpkin Pie

The Crust:
1 cup coconut flour
½ cup tapioca flour
½ cup potato starch
¼ tsp. xanthum gum
½ tsp. Himalayan pink salt
½ tsp. cloves
Dash of cardamom
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 stick of grass-fed butter, unsalted
1 tbsp. coconut milk
2 tbsp. cold water

The Filling:
1 can Libby’s Organic Pumpkin
¾ cup coconut milk
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. raw honey
¾ cup coconut sugar or xylitol (or both)
½ tsp. Himalayan pink salt
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. ginger
½ tsp. cardamom
¼ tsp. black pepper
¼ tsp. turmeric
¼ tsp. allspice
¼ tsp. cloves

For the crust, mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a separate dish, mix together the egg, vanilla extract, coconut milk, cold water, and beat lightly until blended. Cut the stick of butter into pieces, toss into dry ingredients, and mix in the butter cold by hand until thoroughly distributed. Dump wet ingredients into the mix and then mix them together by hand thoroughly.

For the filling, mix everything together thoroughly in a separate bowl, by hand with a whisk or with an electronic mixer.

This crust doesn’t stay together well under a roller, so I recommend you break the dough into pieces and shape it inside of the pie dish (a deep 9 inch dish) by hand, making sure it’s thoroughly pressed together. Use a fork to pinch holes throughout the bottom and the sides of the crust. Toss it in the oven at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes and then remove it to pour in the filling, then bake for another 30-40 minutes – this could vary based on your oven, so check it after 30 and determine if it needs to cook longer.

Enjoy! If anyone attempts it, let me know how it comes out. ;D

Back
Top Bottom