My fear of flying

loreta

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Hello everybody,

my sister goes to Barcelona for her holidays in June and she is paying me a ticket for one day. I can not leave house because of my husband and the dogs. But one day is ok. My problem is that I am so scare to take the airplane. I did not travel with airplane since 20 years. I really don't know how to deal with this fear of flying, this fear to leave home, to leave my husband alone even if it is for one day. One day is nothing, after that. But the fear is terrible. I am so scare, me an adult that I feel almost shame. What can I do to surpass this fear? I want to see my sister and also an aunt that lives in Barcelona that is very old and maybe it will be the last time I will see her.

Since I live in Spain I never left home, never left my husband alone, never took holiday myself. I know that this fear to fly is just a pick of the iceberg of all my fears.

I will appreciate advice. What to do when you are afraid to take an airplane and leave home for one day?

Just to do it anyway. How else can you learn to overcome such fears?
10 Ways to Cure Your Fear of Flying
https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/10-ways-to-cure-your-fear-of-flying

Fear of flying help video by Virgin Flying Without Fear Team / 12:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayXvS5b9jVE

10 Ways to Cure Your Fear of Flying
https://www.fodors.com/news/photos/10-ways-to-cure-your-fear-of-flying

Fear of flying help video by Virgin Flying Without Fear Team / 12:15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayXvS5b9jVE

Thank you c.a. I will look forward your links.

Reactions: Ca.
Some physical support that could be of help:

- Gaba
- pipe breathing

Emotional support:

- your crystals (especially the personal one) and you could also hold your personal crystsl in your hand, but be careful not losing it. I put mine in my hand luggage and took it out for the flight and in case the customs are asking: It is your good luck charm.
- a picture of your dog and husband

Practical support:

- prepare everything beforehand and be there on time earlier, in case of any delays and customs.

Just to do it anyway. How else can you learn to overcome such fears?

Absolutely, you may be shaky and totally nervous and it is absolutely normal.

- Gaba
- pipe breathing

Emotional support:

- your crystals (especially the personal one) and you could also hold your personal crystsl in your hand, but be careful not losing it. I put mine in my hand luggage and took it out for the flight and in case the customs are asking: It is your good luck charm.

Practical support:

- prepare everything beforehand and be there on time earlier, in case of any delays and customs.

Yes, my dear crystals will be with me, absolutely. Good idea to have the pictures of my husband and my dogs.

I was not afraid to travel when I was younger, not at all. I traveled alot by airplane. So Altair is right: lets make this a sort of challenge, the only way to know about oneself a little more. Thank you Gawan!

- Gaba
- pipe breathing
Emotional support:
Practical support:

This has been my prototypical activity, and has severed me well.

Not to mention how I dress and what I wear just in case.

Cotton clothing as to synthetic attire.
Ankle high footwear for support as to flip flops.
Total familiarization of the cabin layout and it's exists.
Avoiding caffeine during the short jump.
Shutting down all personal electric devises until landing at my detestation.
Relaxing with a good book.

I have to agree with everyone else, unfortunately I don’t have a suggestion as far as something you may take for the anxiety.

Definitely breathing and smoking, but with some fears the best thing you can do is to make them real...so that you realize their true size and how tiny, insignificant, and debilitating they can become. For 20 years you’ve been adding features and qualities to a fear that it may not have to begin with.

So, as the C’s would say, grab the bull by the horns, fill yourself with courage and slay the dragon of the airplane seat.

Perhaps you can find another reason not to like traveling, like airport security :P just kidding!

Thank you very much all of you. Every one of you gave a little pearl of courage. And when I say pearl I mean it. Next month, the 15, when I will take the airplane I will bring all your pearls with me.

Thank you for your advice. :flowers::hug2:

Back
Top Bottom