My creation: "Ad Astra"

Good for you axj, making music can be very cathartic, or at least I find to be so. To be honest I don't know much about this style of music but considering you've only been at it for half a year I'd say great job!

What software (DAW) are you using?

Thanks 987baz. What kind of music do you create?

I'm using the open source LMMS program, which is free. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of some of the more professional programs, but I like it for now.

I've never created music before - had this weird belief that "I am not musical". And while getting the music creation skills takes time, it seems to be a similar process as listening to music, the way I see it. You know when something sounds good or if it is "not quite right" and the same applies to creating music.

Thanks 987baz. What kind of music do you create?

you're welcome :)

I played in rock and metal bands for quite a while, but now I mainly play around with folky/blues type stuff. I have also played around with the electronic side of things, which is fun.
you can check out my thread here for links to tracks my folky blues original music

I'm using the open source LMMS program, which is free. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of some of the more professional programs, but I like it for now.

Can't say I've heard of that program, but if it works for you and it's free that's great!!

I've never created music before - had this weird belief that "I am not musical". And while getting the music creation skills takes time, it seems to be a similar process as listening to music, the way I see it. You know when something sounds good or if it is "not quite right" and the same applies to creating music.

Like with most things in life, some are better at things than others, but we can all be creative, and besides I think it's more about expressing yourself than anything else (unless you want to be a professional musician).
Absolutely right, skills of any kind take time to learn, but the best way to start is to listen to what you're creating, does it sound good to you? well that's what matters most :)
there are a tonne of resources online on how to mix, use fx etc so, when you get the hang of something, learn a new skill and try that, it just keeps building, which is always fun :)

I look forward to hearing more :headbanger:🎶🎹

Created another song that I really like. It's an uplifting electronic track:

@axj,

This one is very upbeat I think. The rhythm is kind of a great start to a base for your next creation. If you are having fun with it that is really important I think. If you only started about 6 months ago and you are expressing yourself and building on musical ideas I think it is worth continuing it as a part of your learning experience. I think in music there are layers of elements that gradually build in layers into orchestral creations. It does not have to be complex to express some beautiful sounds that others can appreciate.

The first one kind of had a middle eastern flavor to my ear with changes like Transposition which adds to the interest for me.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas, @goyacobol. It's been more than 6 months since I started - the original post above is from almost 2 years ago. But I took a lengthy break from creating music and now got into it again a couple months ago.

Back
Top Bottom