My blog - Paying Attention to the Macro

Charliebox

The Force is Strong With This One
Hello everyone!

I'm not really sure how to introduce my blog, other than saying it's a collection of essays that I've written based on the knowledge I've gained over the last few years. All except for the last one deal with global and national (Canadian) issues. When I chose the name 'Macro' I was intending it to be about the 'Big Picture' and not any of the other thousands of definitions that word seems to have. In retrospect, I should have selected a different name.

There are only five essays on it, but each is quite lengthy. The very first one, the one at the bottom, I wrote is basically the first recreational (as in not for any type of school) essay I have ever written.

The very last one, the one at the top, I owe completely to SOTT and the team as you all have helped me figure out my working theory on life. I don't want to say the ideas are taken from any specific book or source in particular but the recommended reading list, especially Laura's works, and this very forum really helped me. Just as a disclaimer: It is written almost in point form, not an essay style. I had always intended on going back and changing it, but after some contemplation, I like it the way it is. The other four are more traditional.

Until now, I have only shown these essays to a select few family and friends. Most of the people I associate with on a daily basis could care less about these issues, so there is no need to force my writing on them. I only want those who want to read it, to read it!

Anyways, here's the link. It should be a fairly easy read. Let me know what you think! I appreciate it.

It's tough to have a look at the blog when I don't provide a link!

_http://payingattentiontothemacro.blogspot.com/

Charliebox said:
It's tough to have a look at the blog when I don't provide a link!

_http://payingattentiontothemacro.blogspot.com/

I'm now "following" you on blogspot (under the name Alderpax). I'll let you know what I think once I've finished reading through it. :)

I've read all the entries, and you have some good insights. I've had very similar thoughts on the whole "Support Our Troops" thing, as well as some other points you brought up. I do have a slight issue, though - you seem very vague when it comes to your info sources. For one example, you say " I’m in the process of reading a book by a scientist who carried out his work in Soviet controlled Poland during the Cold war," rather than directly naming Lobaczewski and his book (or possibly even providing a link to his site). Is there a particular reason for this?

Argonaut said:
I've read all the entries, and you have some good insights. I've had very similar thoughts on the whole "Support Our Troops" thing, as well as some other points you brought up. I do have a slight issue, though - you seem very vague when it comes to your info sources. For one example, you say " I’m in the process of reading a book by a scientist who carried out his work in Soviet controlled Poland during the Cold war," rather than directly naming Lobaczewski and his book (or possibly even providing a link to his site). Is there a particular reason for this?

Hello Argonaut!

Thank you very much for reading! I really appreciate the feedback. I'll be honest, I was very weary about putting those essays on a public forum. Those close to me have always said I was a good writer, but being friends and family, one always questions whether they are being totally honest or not.

As for not citing Lobaczewski directly in my first essay, I really don't know why I didn't cite his name and PP. I've been thinking the last day about this and I really don't have an answer! There definetly wasn't any intention to hide my source or to purposely omit his name and work.

Because it was my first essay, and I wrote it in word (not directly online), I think it was simply due to the fact that I had never really intended anyone other than close friends and family to read it. I never really thought I'd write anything else! Those interested could have asked me directly about whom I was referring. At the time I wrote it, I was doing so more for myself than anyone else. I had written it as more of a personal item - something I could go back to decades in the future. Now that I have put it online, you are very correct, I should, and will, go back and add that information. As for linking it directly, I'm as you would say, a bit computer illiterate. I honestly don't have much of a clue how to go and do that! I will take the time to poke around the blog and try to see if I can't figure it out.

As for other sources, I'm a little confused as to what you are asking. Are you saying that the sources I've taken many of my facts from are incorrect? Or, like in the case of PP, are you saying that I simply haven't listed them?

Anyways, thanks again! :)

Charliebox said:
Those close to me have always said I was a good writer, but being friends and family, one always questions whether they are being totally honest or not.

As an aspiring writer, I can definitely empathize with that. :D

[quote author=Charliebox]
As for not citing Lobaczewski directly in my first essay, I really don't know why I didn't cite his name and PP. I've been thinking the last day about this and I really don't have an answer! There definetly wasn't any intention to hide my source or to purposely omit his name and work.

Because it was my first essay, and I wrote it in word (not directly online), I think it was simply due to the fact that I had never really intended anyone other than close friends and family to read it. I never really thought I'd write anything else! Those interested could have asked me directly about whom I was referring. At the time I wrote it, I was doing so more for myself than anyone else. I had written it as more of a personal item - something I could go back to decades in the future.
[/quote]

Makes sense. I didn't think there was anything "shady" behind it, but I did wonder if you left out specifics for personal reasons.

Now that I have put it online, you are very correct, I should, and will, go back and add that information. As for linking it directly, I'm as you would say, a bit computer illiterate. I honestly don't have much of a clue how to go and do that! I will take the time to poke around the blog and try to see if I can't figure it out.
[/quote]

Blogspot puts most of that stuff in their button interface at the top, so you should be able to figure it out pretty easily. Links aren't essential, but they can be a nice touch - especially when you post informational-type blogs.

As for other sources, I'm a little confused as to what you are asking. Are you saying that the sources I've taken many of my facts from are incorrect? Or, like in the case of PP, are you saying that I simply haven't listed them?
[/quote]

Just that you haven't listed them. Your blog posts are well-written, and adding details like that would pretty much make them full-fledged articles. Have you considered submitting something for SotT?

Anyways, thanks again! :)
[/quote]

Anytime. :)

Just that you haven't listed them. Your blog posts are well-written, and adding details like that would pretty much make them full-fledged articles. Have you considered submitting something for SotT?

Again, thank you for the kind words!

I'm still not sure if writing is something I want to pursue or not. Because of that, I guess I 'half-a**ed' my work by not diligently sourcing my work. As I had said, my blog was originally intended to be just personal. Posting my blog on here was a bit of a 'test' to see if I should continue to write, of if I should use my free time for something more productive.

Further, in 'is anyone paying attention' and 'the terrorist state', to be honest, I just kind of wrote them off of the top of my head. Most of the facts I used came from articles I've read on this very site! I'm sure it would not be difficult to find other, even mainstream articles, which mention the things I wrote about. If I ever intend to publish or submit them, I surely do need to go back and source some of the material. Thanks for the suggestion!

As for submitting them to Sott, I appreciate the idea but I feel as though the things I've written about, while important for those who are stuck in the mainstream (media's) view of the world, would be slightly redundant on this site. There have been so many articles on here that have covered the very things I've spoken of. While I may have a slightly different perspective on some of the material, I would honestly feel as though I'm just beating a dead horse. Other than possibly 'support the troops', which is mostly about reason, not research, I don't think I would be really adding anything new.

As an aside: I find it quite difficult to just write an essay, without some sort of question being posed to me by another individual. I've been planning on writing another essay for quite some time now and I just can't seem to figure out what it should be about. Every single one of those essays were written because of a question someone posed to me or a discussion (sometimes argument) I've had with another individual. It's really weird. I'm not sure if it's normal or not, but it's almost as if I need an external stimulus to get my thoughts and ideas down in a narrow and concise matter, without jumping all over the place! It's almost like I need to have a central question or argument presented to me before I can really get to work!

Charliebox said:
Posting my blog on here was a bit of a 'test' to see if I should continue to write, of if I should use my free time for something more productive.

I see it a bit differently. Writing is a skill which can be developed. So if you enjoy expressing things that way it's worth pursuing regardless of how good you are. Of course, getting a realistic assessment of where you're at helps you see what areas you could improve. But it's not a simple matter of "either I'm a great writer or I should give up." :)

As for submitting them to Sott, I appreciate the idea but I feel as though the things I've written about, while important for those who are stuck in the mainstream (media's) view of the world, would be slightly redundant on this site. There have been so many articles on here that have covered the very things I've spoken of. While I may have a slightly different perspective on some of the material, I would honestly feel as though I'm just beating a dead horse. Other than possibly 'support the troops', which is mostly about reason, not research, I don't think I would be really adding anything new.
[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of writing new articles, not necessarily submitting the ones from your blog. As per this thread: Calling All Aspiring Writers.

As an aside: I find it quite difficult to just write an essay, without some sort of question being posed to me by another individual. I've been planning on writing another essay for quite some time now and I just can't seem to figure out what it should be about. Every single one of those essays were written because of a question someone posed to me or a discussion (sometimes argument) I've had with another individual. It's really weird. I'm not sure if it's normal or not, but it's almost as if I need an external stimulus to get my thoughts and ideas down in a narrow and concise matter, without jumping all over the place! It's almost like I need to have a central question or argument presented to me before I can really get to work!

[/quote]

Sounds normal to me. I have the same issue. The thought of writing an "official" article scares me a bit, actually. What could I write that hasn't already been said? But most articles aren't just straight "data" - they have a theme. They're attempting to make a particular statement. How do you find a theme without an external stimulus? I'd say start by listing "big picture" truths that you'd really like people to understand. Then list current events that could illustrate or flesh out each truth. Something like that might help get things flowing. :)

It's an odd thing - but I've noticed people are blunt and up front online where they might be evasive in person. Not that I haven't followed political threads where the hijinks never quit !
I'll put in my vote...and I'm the 'noisy person' who quipped at all those posts...you write quite well. If you check my Index at _http://my.opera.com/oldephartte/links I started the Collections Forwarded to Blogger with an introduction of the tools and tips I discovered as I started surfing and blogging. And I still don't write URLs ! :lol:

Hi opit, and welcome to the forum :) We encourage all new members to make a post in the Newbies section -- just a bit about yourself and how you came across the forum. Looking forward to seeing more!

Argonaut said:
I see it a bit differently. Writing is a skill which can be developed. So if you enjoy expressing things that way it's worth pursuing regardless of how good you are. Of course, getting a realistic assessment of where you're at helps you see what areas you could improve. But it's not a simple matter of "either I'm a great writer or I should give up." :)

That's a good point. I know the two aren't mutually exclusive, but I still have around half of the books in the 'suggested readings' to tackle, so it was more of a question as to whether I should spend more of my free time, at present, reading and digesting that material over creating my own. Ya know, build up a bit more of a knowledge base before really getting into my own writing. I definetly will never give up, though. I will always enjoy writing :)

I was thinking more along the lines of writing new articles, not necessarily submitting the ones from your blog. As per this thread: Calling All Aspiring Writers.

Oh, I see! Yeah that will definetly be something I will consider in the future! As you say below, though, the thought does scare me a little bit! :scared:

Sounds normal to me. I have the same issue. The thought of writing an "official" article scares me a bit, actually. What could I write that hasn't already been said? But most articles aren't just straight "data" - they have a theme. They're attempting to make a particular statement. How do you find a theme without an external stimulus? I'd say start by listing "big picture" truths that you'd really like people to understand. Then list current events that could illustrate or flesh out each truth. Something like that might help get things flowing. :)

Thanks for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom