my best friend a psychopath - a dream

sHiZo963

Jedi
Last night before bed I was reading about Organic Portals on the Cassiopaea web site and read many of the posts on the forum about the subject. During the past couple months I have been reading many posts and articles regarding psychopathy, though I have not yet gotten around to reading Ponerology. All of this knowledge probably led to the dream that I had last night - it was one of the 'clearest' and most vivid dreams I have ever had in my life.

I woke up knowing exactly what it was about and what it meant, which I found rather odd (I usually awaken with bits and pieces and end up forgetting them after a few seconds). I tried analyzing it throughout my day and in so doing, had a strange 'increased awareness' to people today, almost as if I could 'feel' their STO/STS orientation. I noticed the smallest details in the way they talked and behaved, and then found it easier to 'read' them. My reactions to certain people were more thought out, and I could deal with them better than before. Needless to say, it was an interesting experience to all of a sudden be so aware!

Was all of this a consequence of the dream? I guess I should try to explain the dream first:

Even though it was quite vivid to me when I first woke up, I regret to say that by focusing on the most emotional parts of the dream throughout my day I seem to have forgotten many of the details. I should really get in the habit of writing these things down!

In any case, it was a dream centered around my best friend and I. For some reason, I was living in an old, run-down apartment building with many stories... I remember walking up and down the wooden back patios where the back doors are, the wood creaking beneath my feet. I think it was a U- or L-shaped building, and it was definitely night time.

I remember picking up many books of various colors (one was purple, another one green, among others) after they had been delivered to the back of the building - I had been expecting them for a long time and was excited to finally get them. It was a huge stack of books!

The next thing I remember, I am at my best friend's apartment (in the same building, it seems - not his apartment in real life) and he is laughing hysterically at my pain!! I don't know what the pain was or what it was caused by, but it FELT horrible inside that he did not care about it... in fact, it felt like in the movies when the bad guy takes pleasure from stepping on and irritating the protagonist's open wound! I felt myself DEEPLY hurt and I kept asking - "why? can't you see I'm hurting?" Now that I think about it, the initial pain might have been caused BY him, but I'm not entirely sure anymore...

All of the sudden I remember talking to his mom, trying to explain to her that her son is hurting me on purpose, but she keeps brushing it off as if it was nothing.

Cut back to my friend, he is still laughing and hurting me... and suddenly, I start crying because it HITS ME that I cannot be his friend anymore... that I must let him go in order to stop the pain - it hits me that he is impossible to deal with, that he will only continue hurting me. I cry because it hurts to let him go.

The next scene, he is walking away with his mom and dad at his side. He walks off as if nothing happened, untouched by the fact that he has lost a friend forever. This hurts me. Then I look at his parents, but they won't look me in the eye - they have their heads down: ashamed? defeated?

One more thing - I felt very 'aware' in my dream. After receiving the shipment of books, I had this feeling of 'knowing' when I was with my friend. Even though I was hurting inside and crying, I could notice things about the way he acted, things I can't really describe in writing - attributes that probably led to my sudden realization that I'd have to let him go. This feeling of awareness was similar but more intense than the one I felt throughout my day.

That's all that I can remember for now... it was an interesting dream, but disturbing in an obvious way.

This guy truly is one of my best friends in real life. We are different individuals, he and I, but we have been friends for a while and hang out quite often. I enjoy his company, but I can't explain why. I've noticed that he is very 'selfish' sometimes, but rarely does he act that way towards me. In general, I would say that he is STS, but I would hold back strongly the conclusion of psychopathy, even though in the dream this is really the only conclusion that can be reached. After all, every so often (more so recently, it seems) he mentions feeling sorry and bad for doing this or saying that.

This dream makes me question and re-analyze my friendship with my best friend... could the most obvious interpretation of the dream be wrong? Maybe it is a sort of metaphor for a larger lesson to be learned?

Please try to help me analyze this thoroughly, because it is certainly one important dream! Any feedback is most appreciated :)

Well, it definitely sounds like there is a strong message here, and if I had such a dream my first question for myself would be whether the person in the dream was a direct representation of my friend, or a symbolic representation of all my friendships in general. It could be either, and, of course, you're the best one to figure this out.

Becoming aware of the vast amount of information on OPs and psychopathy can certainly open up one's awareness in general, and it sounds like this is what's happening with you.

One comment on this part, though..

sHIZo963 said:
I enjoy his company, but I can't explain why. I've noticed that he is very 'selfish' sometimes, but rarely does he act that way towards me. In general, I would say that he is STS, but I would hold back strongly the conclusion of psychopathy, even though in the dream this is really the only conclusion that can be reached. After all, every so often (more so recently, it seems) he mentions feeling sorry and bad for doing this or saying that.
As long as we're here in these 3D bodies on Earth, we're all STS, although you're probably meaning that he seems more STS than others (?). Also, it may be that he doesn't seem to behave selfishly to you because he knows that if he were to do that, you'd call him on it, or, at the very least, notice it and not like it. The other thing I wonder about is the statement that, "(more so recently) he mentions feeling sorry and bad for doing or saying certain things" - could this be an indication that he's noticing your increasing awareness and knows that by saying that he feels bad, it will make it easier for you to accept his behavior - after all, if he is a 'feeder', then he doesn't want to lose your friendship because he'll lose you as food.

This is rather a pessimistic view, of course, and it could be that your friend is actually noticing his own behavior more and really feeling sorry for it (it's impossible to tell from my vantage point)- and that the dream is more symbolic and that your friend is not feeding on you.

However, this apparent subtle correlation between your increase in awareness and his increase in statements of 'contrition' - almost as if he's doing it to stay under the radar - grabs my attention.

As I said, it's possible that he's picking up on your increased awareness and knows you well enough to know that saying he's sorry or that he feels bad will make it easier for you to accept his behavior. I've experienced this sort of behavior personally with someone I was once close to, so it could be that it's just reminding me of that situation and it really has no bearing on yours, but, just in case, I thought I'd mention it. FWIW.

Thank you for your respone Anne.
anart said:
if I had such a dream my first question for myself would be whether the person in the dream was a direct representation of my friend, or a symbolic representation of all my friendships in general
This statement definitely gave me something to ponder these last couple days! While I'm still thinking about it, it seems that all of my friends are quite different from each other. I doubt they can all be feeders... I'm almost sure of at least a couple that aren't. Ever since I started reading the Cass material I gradually became more distant to some people because I didn't think they were good influences and just felt somewhat 'off' about them ... perhaps the more I learn to increase my awareness, the more I will turn away from even more people - after all, the Cass material says that in order spot a really good OP it can take years of obervation. This knowledge can really make one lonely at times :(
anart said:
As long as we're here in these 3D bodies on Earth, we're all STS, although you're probably meaning that he seems more STS than others (?)
You're right... I'm still stumbling with the terminology here. I have SO much more to read and learn - it's quite exciting - and I think it's interesting how my hunger for knowledge was represented in my dream (the long awaited shipment of books).
What I meant was that he seems to follow the way of "better you than me" and "think of number One first" which is really unlike me. Like I said before though, he acts differently towards me, to which you said:
anart said:
Also, it may be that he doesn't seem to behave selfishly to you because he knows that if he were to do that, you'd call him on it, or, at the very least, notice it and not like it. The other thing I wonder about is the statement that, "(more so recently) he mentions feeling sorry and bad for doing or saying certain things" - could this be an indication that he's noticing your increasing awareness and knows that by saying that he feels bad, it will make it easier for you to accept his behavior - after all, if he is a 'feeder', then he doesn't want to lose your friendship because he'll lose you as food.
...and this is unfortunately entirely possible! How to know for sure? I don't see him so often to begin with... should I try to not make contact with him for a period of time and see how that affects me?
anart said:
As I said, it's possible that he's picking up on your increased awareness and knows you well enough to know that saying he's sorry or that he feels bad will make it easier for you to accept his behavior. I've experienced this sort of behavior personally with someone I was once close to, so it could be that it's just reminding me of that situation and it really has no bearing on yours, but, just in case, I thought I'd mention it. FWIW.
I thank you wholeheartedly for sharing, Anne! I feel your experience in this matter is already helping my cause by giving me a new perspective on this situation. Since 'knowledge protects' I will research and read more about the subject and try to deal with it as best I can. If anyone else has any more input, please share as well :)

Back
Top Bottom