My bass journey

Hello H2O

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Since I got my Tascam recorder for Christmas, I have been figuring out how to use it to make decent recordings.

Here I am using Sinatra's recording of Fly Me to the Moon, to record my bass over it. Figuring the bass for this song was not easy, I needed to take some time and figure out some walking bass theory.

Anyway, here is what I came up with...

View attachment 210217_0053.mp3

Hello H2O

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Well done, Hello H2O! Are you playing an electric base guitar or an 'upright'?
It's a Fender bass (electric). But I have put flatwounds on it, and put a cloth damper near the bridge, so I can get a pretty good upright sound with it. A little bit of EQ'ing on the amp as well. Take out some of the lower mids. Neck pickup, with treble all the way up on the guitar...

Hello H2O

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Thought I would try something completely different, so I picked a version of Glory of Love by Big Bill Broonzy. Quite a challenge and don't think I ever got it quite right. but have a listen and tell me if you hear where it could be improved. I think it is just a feel thing. Couldn't get the feel quite right IMO.

EDIT: Not sure if it is just my browser, Firefox, but it seems it only brings up the first 30 seconds of the mp3 file. If you refresh the page and play it again, it seems to play the whole song. Or maybe I am doing something wrong posting it...

Screenshot_2021-03-19 Glory Of Love - YouTube.png
View attachment 210319_0066.mp3

987baz

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Nice work!! I agree that it's a great tone for the music.. sounding really good, how long have you been playing?

My only suggestion, if you you want to challenge yourself would be to try something a bit out of your comfort zone, a different style of music perhaps?

Hello H2O

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Nice work!! I agree that it's a great tone for the music.. sounding really good, how long have you been playing?

My only suggestion, if you you want to challenge yourself would be to try something a bit out of your comfort zone, a different style of music perhaps?
I bought the bass a year ago Feb. Been since June playing with other players. First couple of months was just sore fingers 😁🎸
No problem finding challenging stuff, pretty well everything is right now 😁
Maybe I could tackle some James Jamerson next...

Top Bottom