music

pescado

Padawan Learner
hello all. i'm a bit of a lurker here... just signed up not too long ago. havent had the time to really contribute to any of the discussions, but plan on doing so when i'm less busy. i'm certainly intrigued by laura and ark's work as i am interested in alot of transpersonal study, esoterica, conspiracy, etc... which is obviously why i'm here. my own path seems to be music presently and the attempt to comprehend even matters of esoterica through music.. maybe not even far removed from some of Gurdjieff's, John and Alice Coltrane, Giancinto scelsi, Hazrat Inayat Khan.. and others dialouge about the nature of sound/vibration. if you like you can check out some of my music here.. www.myspace.com/colinfisher but i'm more interested to see what relevance music has to the denizens of this particular board.

Hey,
I'm in music as well. I keep wondering how I can contribute something to the Work though that. Right now I'm taking a course in Renaissance performance practice, and besides learning a whole lot about how to play that music, I've hit upon a few topics that I think could lead in an interesting direction. We talked a lot about tuning, and what interests me in particular is the "earliest" tuning system, the Pythagorean. Everything is derived mathematically in that system (which can lead to some intervals being real bears!). The issues of intervals/preferences for certain keys/pure intervals intrigues me- why were these preferences settled upon? Also, it is interesting to note (pun intended) the location of A- in the Renaissance there were differences in the location of this pitch varying over a range of more than 100 mhz- did the different choices for A reflect anything other than the inability of people to recall an exact pitch travelling over various distances (or did it matter at all)? It would be neat if the vibration correlated to something, although I have no idea what that would be. The location of A has continued to change since the Renaissance as well, although there is no obvious correlation here either. There also are plenty of references to "music of the spheres", etc. in the literature so I'd like to go more into depth with that as well.

I listened to some of Gurdjieff's music played by piano (http://www.gurdjieff-legacy.org/30books/music.php#harmonium) and I am disappointed to say that it had no unusual effect on me. It did not seem very influenced by Eastern musics (Asian, Arabic, Russian, etc) at all, it seemed very much like wallpaper to me. I don't recall ever reading what the instrumentation of the groups that typically accompanied his dances or played his music, that would probably have an effect. I wonder if manipulations of pitch are missing because of the piano, or if the music that was passed down was corrupted.

Funny you mention Scelsi. I'm playing his 4 pieces for trumpet for my jury this semester. I'd say it's a compositional exercise in finding the central pitch to each movement.

tuning is a superimposed concept over a unified field of vibration (a more vast chromatic system)... like a diatonic pattern is superimposed over a chromatic field.
there are different 'A's all over the world still.
i often think in terms of the as above so below axiom in terms of resonance with the bodies centers. and somehow i dont think tuning the centers relates so much to tempered scales or diatonicism. and how the octave is the end of one 'area' but the beginning of another.. hence a direct connection through resonance with ones higher self? this is probably all really elementary. also i think that systems in nature tend to correlate more directly with the harmonic overtone spectrum so that it might have something to do with the bodies centers of magnetic resonance.
speaking of which.. has anyone ever heard the tuvan overtone singing 'khoomie'.. gorgeous stuff.
i like scelsi's music because it addresses the fundamentals of sound and the qualities of its overtones. in a way relating to Gurdjieff's mulitple octaves for each sound.. fundamental pitch.. its overtones.. the overtones of overtones.. and so on. a vast tree of sound and complex interaction.
i've often thought that non-diatonic tempered systems of microtonal activity may take part in creating more prevalent 'acoustic phenomena'.
i've found that in improvisation some of the most miraculous discoveries can take place. it feels like a very integrated process that demands your whole self to be involved. in terms of the work for me it is in this.
anyways... i just awoke, i hope this rant is coherent.

Heh i listen to music, learned to play moonlight sonata on the piano and then stopped taking lessons. Still have a good chunk of it memorized.

I prefer dynamic changes in what i listen to, i've jumped around from various styles and genres, stick with one for a bit, and then move on consuming as much as i can enjoy. Lately, my tastes have landed on classical, but thats mostly because i've avoided the genre for so long. I'm a fan of Alternative rock as defined in the 90s, as that was the music that i "grew up" to. I also got into electronic stuff, happy hardcore, trance, house, drum & bass or "jungle", all that groovy stuff that inspired the rave movement of the 90s. Still listen to it, much its more of an occasional thing. Classic Rock is also tastey, and i have my moments where hardcore, dark sounding angry hip hop gets me going as well.

All in all i enjoy observing the emotional phenomena that i experience with different genres and sounds. I have no doubt that music causes certain vibes to be picked up and amplified in myself, and those vibes are sometimes correllary to what others experience and sometimes are quite different. Very interesting stuff.

Back
Top Bottom