MSN/Hotmail/WindowsLive etc etc...

When I 1st reached out to Cass a coupla months ago asking for help, to my surprise Ark answered me personally. I have a Hotmail address, & he told me that Cass has trouble w/ Hotmail. I thought it odd... until now. Ever since I began recieving email from SOTT, I've been having problems w/ Hotmail! I'll attempt to read my mail & get an alert which states: "MSN is undergoing routine maintainence, sorry for the inconvenience." Ok, but for the past 2 weeks?!? Any1 else have this problem? PEACE

Funny you should mention Hotmail. Problems? Tons!!!!

I had regular MSN Hotmail and they completely lost my account. When I went to make another account, I had no choice but to go to Hotmail Live. I believe they are doing this to force people to Hotmail "Live". I have been on a forum that has hundreds of complaints regarding the regular Hotmail accounts. My brother hooked me up with an Verizon account in the event they start messing with me again.

I also had set up to recieve email from SOTT when their site was down. I never recieved any emails, I don't know if that is because they weren't recieved or if they did not need to be sent. If you keep having problems you may want to go to a different email provider.

I don't know if they are blocking you from the regular Hotmail so you will have to set up an account with the Hotmail Live or not. I can tell you that Hotmail Live is up and running at the moment. Good luck.

Tarri

As with AOL, GMail and many other free email services, MSN and Hotmail has the same or similar
problems regarding the handling of email and or accounts. All free email providers can, will, and
do block email messages to/from recipients/senders as they see fit to do so. When you call to get
a resolution regarding your email messages either outgoing or incoming, expect a half-dozen or
more replies that they are working on the "problem" and/or securing their systems against
spamming, viruses, or simply shut down "abusive" accounts. In reality, you can never know
what the "problem" really is but you can know that email contents are and will be used as seen fit.
Read the online policies, and it looks like they respect your privacy and you take their word for it?

Free email sites aren't really free since there is always something they get out of it, otherwise
what's in it for them? I will tell you that they make TONS of money with this (free) service and most of
it is revenue by advertisements but that is not all! In short, people who use these services are mostly
entrusting their "imaginably private" messages to these providers and it truly amazes me that they continue
to do this knowingly or ignorantly and so do not realize the potential damages to their personal liberties in
doing so. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you'd like. As a side note, IM's operate in a similar principle that
messages sent to/from a buddy is actually being "recorded" on their IM servers. Talk about a twist!

I've had several people tell me that they sent me email from AOL, MSN, Hotmail, Gmail, and many
other sites and I simply tell them to check to make sure they sent it with the proper email address,
check their spammer programs, and lastly to contact their email provider. My email system is maintained
by me, it has a port 25 and is directly on the Internet, and more importantly, every "connect" to port 25 is
reported to my logs, so I will KNOW if someone tried to send me something and from what IP address it sent
from. However, this says nothing about what happens to the messages as it is sent through my uplink ISP
provider or "higher up" in the infrastructure as to if the message is being monitored, modified, or blocked
by my ISP or by the NSA/CIA/FBI and so on.

So lets not forget that companies such as AT&T, Verizon, Bellsouth, QWest, and other unknown
companies are presumably in working with the government. All of these companies are the
"Big-Boys" behind the scenes and even Microsoft, Google, AOL/Time has to use that infrastructure
in order to connect to the Internet. It is no secret that Bush is trying to get retroactive immunity
for these companies for violating all sorts of laws on privacy regardless of their online stated policies
which changes daily or by the minute.

Just my thoughts.
OSIT

My problem is that I have no choice than to go thru Hotmail. All my web access is thru my crappy mobile browser, & Hotmail is the only email that'll work w/ my cellphone. BTW Ark's emails were automatically sent to the junk file because Hotmail labeled em "offensive" in some way! I almost was thrown off my chair from incredulity. PEACE

dant,

You wrote that you maintain your own email system, it has a port 25. I would like to know what this means and whether this is something I could do myself or do you have to be a computer wiz to figure it out?

Thanks. Tarri

Tarri said:
dant,

You wrote that you maintain your own email system, it has a port 25. I would like to know what this means and whether this is something I could do myself or do you have to be a computer wiz to figure it out?
Hi Tarri,

Port 25 is used by email servers to communicate through.

I found this blurb at http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers that sums it up:
Ports are used in the TCP [RFC793] to name the ends of logical
connections which carry long term conversations. For the purpose of
providing services to unknown callers, a service contact port is
defined. This list specifies the port used by the server process as
its contact port. The contact port is sometimes called the
"well-known port".
In essense you will have system processes (in memory) "listening" to specific ports like in this case 25 for email communications.
Port 25 is sometimes closed for incoming traffic because it is wide open to spam otherwise.

Dominique

i also use hotmail for notifications from the forums i'm on. i also noticed that they are pushing the new 'live' thing aggressively.

should it cease to work, i'll probably sign up with hushmail (http://www.hushmail.com/) - they offer secure emailing in various flavors. definitely sounds better than hotmail/yahoo/etc.

Well,

If you are willing to spend the time learning (learning is fun!) and rolling up your
sleeves, I will provide you with simple explanations that might lead you in the right
direction:

1) Check with your local phone company, regarding DSL Internet services. If you
do not want to use the phone on the same line as the Internet, then ask for a
standalone Internet connection. Find out what the maximum Internet bandwidth
is as this factors into option of choices provided by your Internet Service Provider
(ISP). Also ask for prices and options so that you know what you are getting and
for how much. For example, for my connection I am paying approx. $50.00/mo.
for a 1MB/1MB (download/upload) connection. This price is both the phone line
and the ISP and that includes 3 static IP addresses @ $5.00/mo/IP. Not a bad deal.

2) Choose your ISP. You can opt to use your local phone company's Internet Services
but they will most likely support only dynamic IP address as home-customer markets
at low cost and do not provide static IP address unless you move into business class
services and this can be quite expensive. For this reason, I opted to choose a local
and independent ISP and went with a Spirit-One because they have a better package
deal that satisfied me and offer static IPs as desired. Once you have chosen your
ISP, you should be getting an Internet modem and the following information:

a) Static IP address
b) Subnet mask
c) Default Gateway IP address
d) 2 Domain Name Server (DNS) IP addresses

You will need to configure your router (modem) per instructions from your ISP.

You may also need to configure NAT connections to point to the IP address of
your internal networked server that will be hosting your website, email server,
and other services you wish to publish.

3) Get a domain name from a domain name provider. You can get a domain name(s)
from many sites as from MyDomain.com, Dotster.com, NetworkSolutions.com and
so on. My advice is to research the Internet for domain name providers as some are
good and some are bad. I have provided 3 names above that have good references.

5) Make sure you have a good computer with a fast CPU, a lot of memory, hard disk with
enough space to load the operating system and then some more to hold the logs, email
messages, and so on. Hard drives are cheap so get a big drive >= 100GB

6) Download a FREE linux operating system software and burn the images into the CDs so
that you can be able to install the software onto your computer. There are many linux
distros to choose from such as Fedora, Redhat, Ubuntu, and so on. The hard part is to
learning how to installing and configuring the OS, installing and configuring security such
as firewall, anti-Virus anti-Spam and so on. Then next step is to install your DNS server,
then your email server. There are extensive documentation online and they are quite
helpful and technical but you can learn by reading up on it or asking people on the related
support forums. For example, if you choose to go with Fedora, there are many Fedora forums
that will help. All of this takes a lot of patience.

One thing: Try google searching for: "Linux setup configure DSL Internet" and the links therein
should get you started.

Happy hunting and learning!

Dan

Now all of a sudden, the SOTT Forum notifications are ending up in my "junk" mailbox...Hotmail just doesn't give up, do they?

Ominous said:
Now all of a sudden, the SOTT Forum notifications are ending up in my "junk" mailbox...Hotmail just doesn't give up, do they?
I now routinely scan the email messages in my "junk" mailbox, due to the fact that so many legitimate messages seem to end up there, even after I have designated the senders as "safe"....

It's odd too that all of the free internet email providers all revamped around the same time (starting with Gmail I believe), to have enormous amounts of Gig. What do people do with all of that space? Likely stop deleting their interactions with other people. Makes it easier for one of any of the 'alphabet organizations' to poke around. Of course deleting something doesn't mean all that much either.

Back
Top Bottom