Mom's strange meditation "block"? (help appreciated)

HowToBe

The Living Force
This is for my mom, who had a strange experience with meditation years ago. She began doing a meditation technique from a small meditation booklet she bought, in which she would acknowledge each stray thought as it came up, and let it go. She discovered that initially this placed her in much better flow with her life; she could keep up with the events of the day and manage her responsibilities with an amount of grace that was unusual to her. She was clear-headed and aware.

However, the meditation stopped working to this effect, when a multicolored grapefruit-sized ball of light appeared in front of her face during a meditation session. Because she did not know what this ball was, and it made her uncomfortable sitting right in front of her eyes, she stopped meditating. Ever since, she's been curious as to what this ball is and why it appeared, but has never found any information. In fact, she says that even today, many years later, it still appears right in front of her eyes when she tries to meditate. I have been unable to find anything online to help her shed some light on this, so I would like to know if there is anyone who has an idea what is happening?

It seems she wants to be able to meditate because of the results she got from it, but this ball of light is right in front of her face, makes her uncomfortable and distracts her, and is very persistent, appearing every time she tries!

Any help? :huh:

She should switch to Éiriú Eolas. This is why most if not all other meditative techniques are effective only up to a certain point - they can clear away the detritus, but what are they inviting in? EE will give your mother the protection she needs once she has opened up.

She should switch to Éiriú Eolas. This is why most if not all other meditative techniques are effective only up to a certain point - they can clear away the detritus, but what are they inviting in? EE will give your mother the protection she needs once she has opened up.

Yes I agree it is probably best if she takes another approach by trying EE. But on the other hand the ball of light could be result of something positive within her. And she probably can't do anything about it and she is just going to have to deal with it but I hope it works out for her.

We've been talking about Eiriu Eolas already and she is interested (we're about to buy a copy or two).

Kniall said:
This is why most if not all other meditative techniques are effective only up to a certain point - they can clear away the detritus, but what are they inviting in?
Hmm. I had only heard this type of argument coming from a Christian perspective against meditation until now. I'm wondering how much data there is on the topic of spirit attachments or possessions related to meditation techniques. I suppose simply becoming more "clear" and relaxed could make someone a target to the General Law since they will tend to stand out more.

celtic said:
But on the other hand the ball of light could be result of something positive within her. And she probably can't do anything about it and she is just going to have to deal with it but I hope it works out for her.
We have considered that it might represent something positive, but since it distracts her and prevents her from being able to relax when trying the meditation, she's more interested in figuring out what it is, why it appears, and most importantly how to respond. I've suggested the possibility that some part of her may be blocking the meditation for some reason, and if that's true it could be a form of self-protection or self-sabotage. She does not think it is self-sabotage. Another possibility, as Kniall suggested, is that something or "someone" has been planted or has taken residence and blocked her progress in this area. Or it could be something else entirely.

Why do you say "she probably can't do anything about it"?

We will see how Eiriu Eolas does, and we're also interested if anyone has further insight.

Thanks from both of us for the responses so far. :)

Why do you say "she probably can't do anything about it"?

excuss my assumption I was putting an idea out there that it could be mandatory. So every time she does the meditation the ball of energy will always be with her no matter what the solution is to stop it. But now looking back I don't think that was a very rational assumption. because it is not part of her internal organs or something that comes with her physically.

Thank you for clarifying. Because this experience of hers seems anomalous and unknown, I didn't think it was reasonable to place such a limitation on what we consider "probable" in her case, which is why I asked.

She recently told me that she doesn't remember how to do that meditation technique any more, so it may be moot to discuss it further unless Eiriu Eolas causes the "object" to return - we'll see what happens.

Hi HowToBe

HowToBe said:
However, the meditation stopped working to this effect, when a multicolored grapefruit-sized ball of light appeared in front of her face during a meditation session. Because she did not know what this ball was, and it made her uncomfortable sitting right in front of her eyes, she stopped meditating. Ever since, she's been curious as to what this ball is and why it appeared, but has never found any information. In fact, she says that even today, many years later, it still appears right in front of her eyes when she tries to meditate. I have been unable to find anything online to help her shed some light on this, so I would like to know if there is anyone who has an idea what is happening?

I'd second everyone else's suggestion to try EE. There have been discussions on the forum about the difference in meditating without a seed (clearing the mind and just going 'blank') and meditating with a seed (guided meditation). It seems that 'going blank' leaves the door open for anyone and anything to fill it.
This is why EE is different.

fwiw I've seen a very similar ball of multicoloured light recently during my meditations, but only in my minds eye. Its possible the distraction is deliberate? Could it be part of herself is stopping her go too deep, and become to 'open'? Like an immune system to 'outside influence'?
Its probably impossible to say if its good or bad, but it is important to note that meditating without a seed is opening yourself up to potential trouble.

RedFox said:
Its possible the distraction is deliberate? Could it be part of herself is stopping her go too deep, and become to 'open'? Like an immune system to 'outside influence'?
It's possible. I suggested this to her, and she says she has considered that possibility. She was somewhat aware that there are harmful forms of meditation, and may have blocked herself because she didn't feel she knew enough about meditation.

To clarify on the ball of light, she says it swirled with different colors (making it very distracting), was about an inch or two from her eyes, and was uncomfortably bright. She meditated with her eyes closed, and the ball disappeared when she opened her eyes and stopped meditating; it didn't leave any lingering uncomfortableness. She says it would appear after a while of meditation, not immediately, suggesting that it may indeed be a block to prevent going past a certain depth.

She says she doesn't particularly look forward to meditation because it's boring, but she is going to try Eiriu Eolas, so we'll see how things go and may cross that bridge when we come to it.

Back
Top Bottom