Medicines straight from your kitchen

Z...

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
It will soon be time for collection of Thyme and I thought maybe we could have a thread to exchange different recipes for natural remedies

Thyme is my all time favorite as apart from being delicious culinary herb it has very powerful medicinal properties. Its name in Croatian language translates as Mother's Soul which I think is very appropriate. Our Greek and Roman ancestors were fully aware of the advantage of this herb and the Egyptians used thyme as the main ingredient in embalming.

Thyme Syrup

Ingredients:

100 g fresh thyme

200 g cane sugar

6 dl water

Preparation:
Rinse the freshly picked thyme and boil it with 6dL of water for 10 minutes. Strain and pour into another saucepan, add the sugar, let it boil again for another 10 minutes until a syrup-like emulsion remains. Pour the syrup into sterile bottles (make sure they are heated so they don't break). Let it cool before closing and store in a cool, dark place (basement or refrigerator).

This syrup can be prepared all year but in September, thyme leaves are most powerful!

How and where to use?

Thyme Syrup is delicious to drink and helps winter respiratory ailments .

Thyme Syrup strengthens the lungs and has bronchial widening properties. Also with coughs, colds, flu and sore throat syrup can bring significant relief.

In the Middle Ages it was used as " 'the remedy for whooping cough in children and dry cough in general.

Apart from being powerful antiseptic Tymol it is said to have immunostimulating properties.

Use:
If sick 4 times daily after meals-a tablespoon of syrup.
For prevention one table spoon daily throughout the winter.

I just wanted to say that thyme can also simply be used on its own (pouring boiling water on the thyme and letting it set for several minutes, just like an infusion) for those who cannot/won't have any sugar.

Any thoughts on this guy James Wong who has his own series on BBC2 on Mondays called Grow Your Own Drugs?

Basically he talks about exploring the many remedies which can be provided by plants from your own garden. He's got a whole lot of videos on Youtube teaching you how to do it. Perhaps he is allowed on prime time because

He is careful to stress that viewers should always seek medical advice before trying natural medicines, and in discussing the outcomes of treatment always states "It's not a clinical trial..." and acknowledges that results might be attributed to a placebo effect.

Vulcan59 said:
Any thoughts on this guy James Wong who has his own series on BBC2 on Mondays called Grow Your Own Drugs?

Basically he talks about exploring the many remedies which can be provided by plants from your own garden. He's got a whole lot of videos on Youtube teaching you how to do it. Perhaps he is allowed on prime time because

He is careful to stress that viewers should always seek medical advice before trying natural medicines, and in discussing the outcomes of treatment always states "It's not a clinical trial..." and acknowledges that results might be attributed to a placebo effect.

first guess, admittedly without actually seeing this guy: the way these things tend to work within the mass media he is most likely an unconscious 'gatekeeper', ie: he is keeping the 'alternative health' line covered, whilst completely omitting all the most important information (such as magnesium, colloidal silver, diet issues discussed here etc), so he is 'allowed' to do what he does because he doesn't go anywhere 'dangerous' and so is ineffectual . Kind of like the flip side to the same mentality behind set-up straw man arguments and 'manufactured opposition'.

Vulcan59 said:

I was really excited about this show but my enthusiasm vanished rapidly. Although it was nice to see how to treat herbally an ingrown toenail, that's about as far as the show would go. As Nomad said it well, this sort of show is just there to prove that the BBC is 'open' to alternative therapies while keeping it very very safe, as well selling the book companion to the program.

Most grandmothers would probably teach us as much if not more than this guy..

Back
Top Bottom