Maybe getting a dog – any advice?

We took our 5 year old German Spitz while ago to vet dentist in order to remove tartar buildup in her teeth, which we now plan to do more often. There was already few teeth needed to be removed, which is unfortunately common problem with her breed. We also brush her teeth every now and then. I think it's good idea to do occasional check ups with e.g vet dentist as your dog gets older, though I'm not sure is the teeth brushing thing necessary for every dog.

So, is the whole brushing dogs teeth a scam? Or, is it necessary from time to time? Is brushing dogs' teeth maybe more necessary for dogs who eat more carbs and human food?
Dogs not fed a biologically appropriate diet seem to have a dry but waxy feel to their coat

Firstly, Igor is gorgeous!
I am by no means a veterinarian - just the loving owner of a wee King Charles Spaniel - but I just wanted to echo a few things here.
I have always fed my dog raw meat and found that not only has his coat stayed delightfully soft and shiny, but the vet I take him to has never recommended that I start brushing his teeth. I know that I shouldn't make trans / cross-species assumptions, but I've long figured that, like humans, if he eats a biologically appropriate diet (for a carnivore) and gets all the fat-soluble minerals etc that he needs, then he shouldn't have much in the way of dental issues.
I'm very happy to be corrected on this, of course..

Firstly, Igor is gorgeous!
I am by no means a veterinarian - just the loving owner of a wee King Charles Spaniel - but I just wanted to echo a few things here.
I have always fed my dog raw meat and found that not only has his coat stayed delightfully soft and shiny, but the vet I take him to has never recommended that I start brushing his teeth. I know that I shouldn't make trans / cross-species assumptions, but I've long figured that, like humans, if he eats a biologically appropriate diet (for a carnivore) and gets all the fat-soluble minerals etc that he needs, then he shouldn't have much in the way of dental issues.
I'm very happy to be corrected on this, of course..
This has been my working theory as well. I also give my dog plenty of raw bones (non weight bearing) to eat, as I've understood that these help keep their teeth clean.

Back
Top Bottom