magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)

Al Today

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Perhaps I missed it, but I didn’t find a thread on magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and would like some clues, pointers, views, or any leads in general.

Bear, your post was a good lead for me. Funny/Strange was the combination of quotes about ” Microwaves And Microwave Ovens” and “Behavioral and Neural Effects of High Magnetic Fields”. Your post can be found here:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=7180.msg50886#msg50886

Briefly, I had back surgery last January 2008 (ruptured disk), and now, here in September 2008, I feel more handicapped than the last 32 years after I lost my right leg (above knee) in a car accident. Being the lay person I am, I feel the neurosurgeon messed up, or I’m the first amputee he’s worked on, and he will not stop my speculations as to why I’m in so much flipping pain. He appears clueless. Second opinion are hard to come by because the “old boys club” of back surgeons exist. If one cuts ya, the others don’t want to deal with someone else’s “problem”… I’m stuck. What I understand is after a number of years, a leg amputee’s spine has a tendency to somewhat curve/bend. Somewhat in compensation of not having a “proper” gait, hips not naturally in-line, center of gravity so to speak. I am thankful I have a sedentary career/job. If I had to stand, or walk, I’d be looking for “new” job training. Being some what “older”, I’d probably be applying for disability. No age discrimination, my arse… This morning, I spent 2 ½ hours inside a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan machine tube. I do not feel “right”. I am doing some research about the MRI, but am also open to any experiences or data trails to follow that any out here may offer.

There are very few risks known to be associated with MRI scans. The changing radiofrequencies and magnetic fields theoretically can produce heat, but this is not known to produce any side effects at all.

The risk to a developing baby in the first third of pregnancy is theoretical only, but current advice is that women should not be scanned during the first 13 weeks of pregnancy. The only other risks relate to the presence of loose metalwork (eg, surgical artery clips or foreign bodies, but not joint or bone surgery metalware) and patients with pacemakers.
_http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/generalhealth/205337.html

“theoretically can produce heat”?

“The risk to a developing baby in the first third of pregnancy is theoretical only”?

I love how the word “theoretical” is used. The medical establishment “knows” that more data will be discovered in the future and they don’t wanna get in trouble for making false assumptions, or possible LIES? Better safe than sorry and have theoretical risks, eh?

I dunno about those disclaimers, but after two and a half (2 ½) hours in that MRI tube, I feel like a heated up hot dog in a microwave oven. I could “feel” the scan (EM waves) moving up & down my torso, and the internal heat also moved up & down. I could also feel the air pulsate as the scan proceeded up and down my torso. I asked the tech, If anyone has ever made a comment about feeling those EM waves? She said “no” to me and had a perplexed look on her face.

So… Do I have a very active imagination or did I “feel” something “not good”? Any comments are appreciated.

Hi Al.

I've had a number of MRI's of my head and neck to check for lesions from Multiple Sclerosis. It depends on the age of the machine as to whether or not I'm going to feel heat, or sense the waves moving up and down my back/neck/head. I'm told open style MRI's arn't so bad, but I've never had one like that as I'm not claustrophobic in a regular machine.

One thing you didn't mention: Did the MRI's you had include injection of a contrast dye?

If so, these dyes can make you feel pretty icky. It generally gives me a sensation of flushing, and a aluminum metalic taste in my mouth. Drinking a lot of water after the test helps remove it from the body.

In general, after an MRI my Hubby drives me home and I go to bed for a few hours. Sometimes its the noise that makes me feel bad, other times its the cramped quarters and having to hold so still. (My limbs twitch, and it takes a lot of concentration to keep still)

Are you able to do any exercise? (Gentle stuff, no Tai Bo. :D )

Have you had any physical therapy for your back post surgery?

After a nap, it helps to get up and do gentle exercise to get my blood moving again after an MRI. I just prop myself against the bed and do a little yoga.

Its not much, but its all I have to share. :)

Gimpy

Good questions Gimpy. Thank you for asking. I've had 3 MRIs within the last 3 months. Second one had the contrast dye and you're right, it's yuckky. The metal taste and the crud semi-nauseous feeling is not fun. Nope. Haven't had an open MRI. The noise is real loud in the "tube", and I felt quite disoriented afterwards. Had to sit there and get my act together for a minute.

Exercise? Not really, stretching and such yes, but that's about it... Heck, I'm grateful I can still bend over to put my socks on, even though only one daily. The other just collects dust. :P

Therapy, I've had the electric stimulation and deep sonic heat. Lasts a few hours, but effects are temporary. I can't see spending $100 USD per session. Don't have that kinda money anyway...

Now a hot tub / whirlpool is nice, although temporary. I bug the Dr. Dude for a prescription for a whirlpool, (I don't say hot tub), but he blows me off. I told him, heck for the cost of 20 therapy sessions, I could have a whirlpool in my house every day. He said he liked my humor. I looked him in the eye and said I was dead serious. I'm sure when I see him again next week, (and maybe the last time I'm wondering), he will probably notice that my humor is almost non-existant.

Been through lots-o-scripts (trials) and the only thing I trust are basic old fashion opoids, but ya gotta control yourself, and the scripts. This I do know and do. I have learned the hard way, I am compulsive addictive, but a fighter. :pirate:

I have voiced that it seems they've been treating symptoms and not addressing a cure. Funny/strange is that I can accept an "I DON'T KNOW", but the godlike personna this guy has won't allow that to happen.

I am very curious about the mRI though. Most nowadays have cell phones plastered to their heads. Cell phone towers everywhere. Don't forget HAARP... I am kinda in wonderment that I CHOSE to place myself in a tube and get bombarded by EM. :umm:

Al Today said:
Good questions Gimpy. Thank you for asking. I've had 3 MRIs within the last 3 months. Second one had the contrast dye and you're right, it's yuckky. The metal taste and the crud semi-nauseous feeling is not fun. Nope. Haven't had an open MRI. The noise is real loud in the "tube", and I felt quite disoriented afterwards. Had to sit there and get my act together for a minute.

Exercise? Not really, stretching and such yes, but that's about it... Heck, I'm grateful I can still bend over to put my socks on, even though only one daily. The other just collects dust. :P

Therapy, I've had the electric stimulation and deep sonic heat. Lasts a few hours, but effects are temporary. I can't see spending $100 USD per session. Don't have that kinda money anyway...

Now a hot tub / whirlpool is nice, although temporary. I bug the Dr. Dude for a prescription for a whirlpool, (I don't say hot tub), but he blows me off. I told him, heck for the cost of 20 therapy sessions, I could have a whirlpool in my house every day. He said he liked my humor. I looked him in the eye and said I was dead serious. I'm sure when I see him again next week, (and maybe the last time I'm wondering), he will probably notice that my humor is almost non-existant.

Been through lots-o-scripts (trials) and the only thing I trust are basic old fashion opoids, but ya gotta control yourself, and the scripts. This I do know and do. I have learned the hard way, I am compulsive addictive, but a fighter. :pirate:

I have voiced that it seems they've been treating symptoms and not addressing a cure. Funny/strange is that I can accept an "I DON'T KNOW", but the godlike personna this guy has won't allow that to happen.

I am very curious about the mRI though. Most nowadays have cell phones plastered to their heads. Cell phone towers everywhere. Don't forget HAARP... I am kinda in wonderment that I CHOSE to place myself in a tube and get bombarded by EM. :umm:

With doctors, you will find that they will not sign off on any kind of medical equipment unless you are disabled or on medicare or have some kind of insurance that covers said medical device. Some companies have riders on things like hot tubs or whirlpool tubs. In another thread Laura mentioned an infrared heat blanket. That might work better than a hot tub. :)

The only other thing I can tell you about MRI's is that the after affects are worse if your diet is bad. That's something that I've noticed over the years though. :)

If your second sock needs a use, they do happen to make wonderful cat toys. :D My hubby took one of his old socks and put a tennis ball in it for the dog too.

Can you say Christmas gifts? :D :D

Hang in there

Gimpy

Back
Top Bottom