Logic Puzzle

ark

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
This is not so much of a puzzle but a test in your ability to critically analyze written texts.

Consider my Quantum Quirk of today (reproduced in the picture below) and find as many inconsistencies and logic problems as you can in the text taken
from the Punch, Vol. 103, July 9, 1892:

Note 1: the image on the screen may happen to be not sharp enough. Click on the picture to see it in its natural size.
Note 2: You may like to consult Wikipedia if you do not know what is a "Planchette" is.

ark said:
Note 1: the image on the screen may happen to be not sharp enough. Click on the picture to see it in its natural size.
I'm afraid its the printing that isn't sharp enough. Very difficult, if not impossible, to read in places.

I can see it fine. Okay, the only thing I could come up with was: if people ask "Planchette" who is going to win a race, and find it isn't them, then they are probably not going to attend the race. The only person who probably would, is the future-winner. However, they would never win if the would-be losers/fellow participants didn't attend - there wouldn't even be a race - so it would just so happen that Planchette was wrong in the first place.

That pertains to a running race, not a horse race (a derby) where bets are made. I don't really know how that works, but is it true that if no loser betted any money, there'd be no money for a winner?

*stares vacantly*

Ruth said:
ark said:
I'm afraid its the printing that isn't sharp enough. Very difficult, if not impossible, to read in places.
Ark said:
Click on the picture to see it in its natural size.
Logical Errors:

Sentence 1: Just because it "can" provide accurate information, it does not follow that the information will always be accurate, or that there are not conditions on which this accuracy depends.

Logical error:

"If Plachette can give" and "Planchette ... should suddenly deceive her followers"

- The author discounts any role a person has with the Planchette and talks like the Planchette is a person (gives it life, where without the person using the Planchette it would just sit there) and not an extension of who the person is using the Planchette.

Inconsistency:
- Talks about the accuracy of the Planchette in the beginning and by the end says to beware that it will deceive.

Thank you Ark and Harrison, I can now read it clearly by clicking on it! :)

I think the author of this piece is being deliberately illogical and assumptive in many of his statements. This is because he is trying to ridicule, denounce and uses sarcasm to do so. He obviously has a problem with the use of a 'planchette' as a method of communication. He is also a 'dyed in the wool misogynist' because patronising the feminine is also one of his little tricks. The other is the use of word association.

Some problems:

1. No discussion on what communications at Mr Wyndhams supper party were accurate and which were not. Or who was there and who took part.
2. Assuming that just because the communications on this particular occassion were accurate (although no data is given on how accurate), that this can be reproduced, ad infinitum and should there for be put into 'general requisition'.
3. Saying that accurate information from an untested source should be able to superceed parlimentary debate. (I mean, how silly is that? Stop politicians talking?)
4. Saying that it would remove the element of chance from horseracing and if this happens then, and who loses?
5. Assuming that all the information provided by this source is going to be accurate.
6. Saying that Mr Wyndham must have consulted 'the planchette' in order to have success and has been 'rewarded' for having such trust in it. Like that explains his success...
7. Assuming that they are communicating with a small plank off wood! And not another entity. He should have tried talking to a desk or a brick or something.
8. Using the mysogenistic latin phrase "Varium et mutabile semper femina" to say that this 'small plank of wood' must be feminine (because it has a French feminine ending), thus 'changable and capricious', and ultimately deceptive - because it is female, communicating and not really a plank of wood at all.... :rolleyes: ?? Then actually calls 'planchette' a small plank of wood in the last sentence... Wish he'd make up his mind.
9. Making word associations 'planchette' (in the 2nd last sentence): "as did Zamiel's seventh charmed bullet" (didn't know charmed bullets were supposed to be feminine just because they were 'deceptive'? Actually the bullet was under the control of the Devil are only women supposed to be under control of the Devil. Good gratious, what a man!).
http://www.musicwithease.com/der-freischutz-synopsis.html
Calling the villain of this opera and idiot - not because he 'sold his soul to the devil', but he tried to play the devil at his own game. Not sure what this has to do with bullets being female and therefore deceptive.
Calling the witches of Macbeth "Weird and Larky sisters". I suppose he wanted to get that 'witches' association in without being too obvious.

And finally, a reference to a song of that era in the last sentence.
http://www.pdmusic.org/civilwar2/65beware.txt

I must therefore conclude that the person who wrote the text under discussion is dismissive and fearful towards both the unexplained and women. He also fancies himself as knowledgeable about the 'arts' therefore all those theatre/opera etc references.

Ruth said:
I think the author of this piece is being deliberately illogical and assumptive in many of his statements. This is because he is trying to ridicule, denounce and uses sarcasm to do so. He obviously has a problem with the use of a 'planchette' as a method of communication. He is also a 'dyed in the wool misogynist' because patronising the feminine is also one of his little tricks. The other is the use of word association.
Well, Punch was a magazine of humour and satire, so it's not to be taken too seriously. :P

Back
Top Bottom