Crazy Storm Weather and Lightning - Global

According to this report, it will be a heavy hurricane season, with more big storms affecting Canada than 'normal'. They are making the claim that warm water and lack of opposing trade winds constitute the primary cause of hurricanes (as opposed to major storm systems being electric phenomena powered by the sun). But perhaps its possible they are arriving at the right conclusion, even if they are doing so by the wrong methods...

Close call lightning strike from the last few days in the US (i can't access and post the article because the news site is blocked in Europe):

There was some speculation about what happened. S0 on YT shows a report that claims the soil near the house bears the marks of electric carving, aka Lichtenberg patterning.

"The weather event on Thursday in parts of the Northern Plains is super rare and appears similar to dust storms during the 'Dust Bowl' era of the 1930s. Farmers in the region are battling either arid conditions or soggy fields, suggesting crop production could be underwhelming this growing season, adding to food inflation pressures for grains."

Parts of the Northern Plains experienced a rare weather phenomenon on Thursday evening called a "haboob."

"A haboob is a dust storm commonly seen in deserts, though one was spotted sweeping across parts of Iowa, South Dakota, and Minnesota."

Each and every day the book continues to become reality.

A very probable supercell is currently evolving in the Hautes-Pyrénées department near Tarbes. The lightning/precipitation radar footprint makes it possible to distinguish a deviation of the flow (west against south-west for the general flow). #orages Card via
@infoclimat

1652659445396.jpeg
Germanys extended forecast.

1652659628023.jpeg

1652660462934.jpeg

Storm in Baden-Württemberg: Stuttgart Central Station flooded, mudslide causes problems for Ludwigsburg

(machine translation)

After the great heat of the past few days, on Thursday evening (May 19) a storm hit the wider area of Stuttgart and Baden-Württemberg.

nevreme Baden-Wuerttemberg
© swr.de / screenshoot
Local major storm damage in Baden-Württemberg, 12 May 2022.

A storm with heavy rain also hit Stuttgart. Although short-lived, heavy hail fell on the city and caused huge problems at Stuttgart Central Station, flooding Schlossplatz, Stuttgart's largest square.

In Stuttgart, according to readers of Fenix-magazine , the huge amount of rainfall caused major problems inside the station. The biggest damage was to the shops and restaurants in the underpass of the station, which were flooded.

The storm also raged in the district of Ludwigsburg. There, a huge torrent of mud, which reached a height of up to half a meter, penetrated the basements of buildings and family houses. Many cars on the street were damaged.

Fire crews had to put out several fires on houses hit by lightning.

Also below video is from here

The German Meteorological Service (DWD) has issued a new warning of severe weather for North Rhine-Westphalia.

As of Friday at noon (May 20th), another low-pressure system is expected to move across the country from the west. According to previous information from DWD, extreme thunderstorms with "mass effects" may occur.

This means: stormy winds up to 130 km / h or even tornadoes, hail up to 5 centimeters and heavy to extremely heavy rain, which can also cause floods. The meteorological service expects that bad weather on Friday could also affect the infrastructure.

The warning is currently valid until 9pm on Friday night.

I also got an email from school that the school ends at 11:30 because of the storm warning.

We'll see what will happen today....

Yesterday here in NRW was quite windy and a lot of rain, but it didn't last too long....

Update from Germany:

Tornado strikes German town, causing heavy damage​

56 minutes ago

BERLIN (AP) — A tornado hit the western German town of Lippstadt causing heavy damage, officials said, as large parts of the country remained on storm alert Friday.

The regional fire service said all available rescuers were being deployed to Lippstadt. Videos posted on social media showed large amounts of debris flying through the air, but there were no immediate reports of injuries.
“The entire town area (...) suffered heavy damage,” the fire service said.

Meteorologists had warned that heavy rainfall and hail were expected in parts of the west and center of the country Friday, with storms producing wind speeds of up to 130 kph (81 mph).

The warnings came after storms disrupted traffic, uprooted trees that toppled onto rail tracks and roads, and flooded hundreds of basements in western Germany on Thursday.

Police said two French nationals died after their motorized paraglider was caught by a strong gust of wind shortly after taking off Thursday from an airfield in Ballenstedt, about 175 kilometers (more than 100 miles) southwest of Berlin. Police in Saxony-Anhalt state said the pair, both 59, were urged to land because of a forecast for an abrupt change in the weather.

Shortly after the warning, “they appear to have been hit by a gust of wind that caused the paraglider to collapse, and the air vehicle crashed onto a field from a height of about 40 meters (131 feet),” police said.

Here is one video

And apparently this one as well:

Edit:
Found another video

Last edited:

Ontario storm leaves six dead and tens of thousands without power​

I was in the middle of this yesterday but luckily didn't experience any of the damage that other places around me did. The weird thing about it was that it was stated by the weather reports as a normal thunderstorm coming through but, out of nowhere it turned VERY ugly with extremely high winds lasting only a few minutes.
Ontario storm leaves six dead and tens of thousands without power

Ontario storm leaves six dead and tens of thousands without power​

I was in the middle of this yesterday but luckily didn't experience any of the damage that other places around me did. The weird thing about it was that it was stated by the weather reports as a normal thunderstorm coming through but, out of nowhere it turned VERY ugly with extremely high winds lasting only a few minutes.
Ontario storm leaves six dead and tens of thousands without power

We got it here as well in the Laurentian in Quebec. Never experienced such a thunder storm, the sound of thunder was none stop for a good half hour. No damage on my street, lost electricity for 20 hours so we had a for taste of what may come and it give us the opportunity to check if the generatrice and other preparation worked.

We got it here as well in the Laurentian in Quebec. Never experienced such a thunder storm, the sound of thunder was none stop for a good half hour. No damage on my street, lost electricity for 20 hours so we had a for taste of what may come and it give us the opportunity to check if the generatrice and other preparation worked.
Hi @Laurentien2, I was thinking about you as the storm was whipping through here in Ottawa last night. I was hoping you didn't get hit too hard in the hills.

We lost a lot of trees in the city and still have 170k customers without power. I have never seen so many simultaneous lightening strikes before, and the wind was so strong, it almost ripped the front storm door from the house. Somehow our property was spared though and we didn't lose a single tree, let alone electricity. Friend in the country lost a huge swath of forest, including a significant part of the black walnut forest he planted decades ago. Strange days.

Here's what's on the Ottawa Hydro site, 24 hours after the storm:

OttawaOutageAlert.png
OttawaOutageMap.png

Back
Top Bottom