Life Changing Experiences Influenced By Animals

Andrew M.

Padawan Learner
I searched the site a bit and i didn't see a thread for something like this so i hope it's ok to start one up.

I'd like to make this thread about things that have happened to you or others, something related to or influenced by an animal, and why you think this is. What is your theory on why this event happened wether good or bad.

I'm starting this thread so that people can tell their animal related story and what they think of it, and so that someone else or the same person can read other people's stories and their theories on it to help better understand their own and other's experiences, and maybe you can provide your new theories with a fresh set of examples to someone who needs them and may not have access or knowledge of this place or others where they can help themselves to better understand.

I'd love to start this with my own story so if you want read on, or if you're excited about telling your own story get typing and read on later if you want.

here goes..

When i was 9 years old my family moved to the other side of the town i grew up in. (and came back to several times throughout growing up) this was no problem for me, it just meant that i had to ride my bike or walk farther to hang out with my friends, no big deal. so one day, after being grounded to the house for a couple days, i was allowed to go and visit with my friends. i was happy and excited, i threw on my favorite clothes, ready to go and have a blast. now my back tire had popped before i got grounded and i had forgot all about it, so i just asked to use one of my mom's friend's bikes and i rode off. now-a-days something as simple as a flat tire sticks out for me, i'm always looking to see if there's a sign or something i'm not seeing. anyway, i rode to my friends house and before i got there i heard them all outside laughing and such, having a good time so i went to the backyard they were in and proceeded to enjoy the good time with them. it was the back yard of one of my friends, who i had known most of my short life, i knew their parents and i had been to the house before. now, next door to this house was another house i had been to before, it was a friend of my mothers, i remember going there and having fun playing with the dog when i was even younger. i must have been thinking about the house and the dog who's company i once enjoyed because i went to go see the dog. when i went to look at the yard the dog was outside on it's chain, tied up to it's dog house, so i walked over to the dog house, just close enough that the dog could come out and reach me. but as i got that close i heard the dog start growling, my friends were behind me, nervous because they heard it was a bad dog and they didn't want me to get close with it growling and all. this hurt my feelings, i knew the dog wasn't a bad dog and i wanted to show my friends that this dog was just as good as any other nice dog. my mother had once told me prior to this that sometimes animals can be more scared of you than you are of them. so i got a little daring and started getting closer, trying to get the dog to come out and see that it's ok. i wanted the dog to understand that i wasn't there to hurt it but to show it kindness. but the closer i got the meaner the dog seemed to be, it growled louder and showed it's teeth. so now i'm well within the dogs range and i'm starting to doubt myself and get hesitant. i'm watching the dog and it doesn't want me to get closer obviously so i start to get scared and back off. no sooner than i start to move back the dog leaps out and bites me, once on the face and once on the arm as i was trying to get away. i was 9 years old and i had never seen so much blood, and it was mine. now naturally i screamed and screamed, lol, i didn't understand what was happening to me, all i could do was scream for help. so i did scream, i walked into the middle of the road with my screaming, and help came right away. across the street was, i think, a bottling plant, it was a big building for storage, for cans and bottles that had allready been returned for a deposit, ready to be reused. the lady working there, doing the paperwork and such in the small office in front of the building heard my screams, peaked through the blinds out the window and dropped everything to rush out and help me, i remember seeing all the papers on the floor when she brought me in and starting asking questions. where do you live, who are your parents, what's your phone number. this complete stranger was so afraid for me and i saw it and i wasn't nearly as afraid as i just was, i actually started feeling bad that i was scaring her so much. i gave her my number and she called my mom right away and she was there in what seemed like seconds, now i'm back to screaming again, mom's here to save me, it's ok i can be scared now cause i'm taken care of. we rush to the ER and i get stitched up, i remember telling the doctor i don't want to die because i was that scared, but before it even all came out i knew that wouldn't be the case, i just felt it and he reassured me, i ended up with 26 stitches total, not so bad. but i was told a couple centimeters higher, not even an inch, and i could have lost my right eye. if it were a few inches lower at my throat i might not be here.

i'm typing this down and it sounds so terrible, but fear not, i'm completely ok with what happened, i was ok the whole time, i remember being sad cause they told me the dog would be put down, but i knew it wasn't the dogs fault, i knew it was mine. not on purpose, i just didn't know better. i have raised scars that i don't even think about, actually i am thinking about them now. i thought i understood everything there was to understand from this experience but it's been so long that it's even crossed my mind that i'm learning from it right now, still.

i felt that it was my actions that lead the dog to it's fate. (the dog wasn't put down for this and i felt better for it but it was put down later, unfortunately, for biting someone else) if i had known what i was doing i wouldn't have done it, but at the time i didn't know and i learned a very valuable lesson about free will and not to force things on others. this dog bite never really affected me other than this, but this was so important and i didn't know that either untill just now. it's kind of amazing, to think i never thought about it after all these years. i learned the lesson, sure, it was paved in stone for me, but i guess i didn't fully understand it untill now, and i feel better about something i didn't even know i felt bad about.

I think some things that you can learn from this, some that i've just learned from typing this when i thought i knew it all, are: teaching children valuable information, such as what to do incase of emergency and good morals, teach them about feelings and what they could possibly mean, i don't think any child is too young to start learning, but be careful what you teach and always explain in the best way whatever it is they want to know or what you believe they should know. some lessons can be hard but they don't have to be so hard if the right knowledge is there. for instance, if my mother never told me what our phone number was, and explained why i needed to know it, it could have made for a much harder lesson for me, if i didn't know as much as i did many things could have happened, maybe i would have lost the eye, maybe i would have grown up mistrusting animals or even despising them for all the wrong reasons. another thing you could learn from this is that you shouldn't try to force things, this will most likely just lead you towards another, possibly harder lesson to learn, just so you can go back and learn the one you were meant to learn in the first place.

thanks for listening to my story, maybe you could tell me yours?

Back
Top Bottom