Learning about self defense, martial arts in the "end of the world"

Life is the best school.

An "adept" in martial art will tell you that in the end, years of training lead to a "mental" state.

"Do not anticipate." Flow with the situation, "adapt".

The "blows" (lessons) of life can achieve the same level of "mental" achievement without having practiced martial arts.

There is nothing more to "disconcert" the "evil" that you do not have the "reaction" he expects.

There is a movie titled in Spain "El guerrero n ° 13". There is a scene where Viking warriors go on a ship sailing a terrible storm that threatens to "sink" their ship at any time.

Faced with the situation of certain death, "they are laughing out loud.":-D

I used to practice martial arts many years ago and from my experience the most of them are to the most extent useless in a street fight situation and/or if you are against several attackers unless you specifically train yourself for such situations. But they certainly can help to develop self-confidence and willpower. For me "being prepared" consists of just being in a good physical shape and of something that can be illustrated by the following quote from Castaneda:

"It is not possible to live strategically all the time," I said. "Imagine that someone is waiting for you with a powerful rifle with a telescopic sight; he could spot you accurately five hundred yards away. What would you do?"
Don Juan looked at me with an air of disbelief and then broke into laughter.
"What would you do?" I urged him.
"If someone is waiting for me with a rifle with a telescopic sight?" he said, obviously mocking me.
"If someone is hiding out of sight, waiting for you. You won't have a chance. You can't stop a bullet."
"No. I can't. But I still don't understand your point."
"My point is that all your strategy cannot be of any help in a situation like that."
"Oh, but it can. If someone is waiting for me with a powerful rifle with a telescopic sight I simply will not come around."

i.e. the idea is to develop such level of awareness that you won't get into such situations in the first place.

i.e. the idea is to develop such level of awareness that you won't get into such situations in the first place.
Yes, awareness is the key. I had few incidents when I was younger, and every time there would have been room for me to make choises that would probably resulted in avoiding the whole thing.

I remember one time, as a 16-year-old teenager, "hanging out" with my friends in the city at weekend night, and I saw two other teens about my age quarrelling heavily. I went straight to them in order to talk sense and stop the situation - bad idea! The other guy started immediately to punch me. I had already practiced martial arts few years by then, and was able to keep my ground and stop the attack. But important lesson learned here (through the hard way). If two people are having heated argument, stay away and let them solve it (instead call the police if things go physical, or even before, depending on the situation).

In my early 20's I worked for a while as a bouncer (fill-in) in few local pubs, and there were some episodes when someone was aggressive (trying to challenge me or another customer) and the martial arts background definitely helped me to stay calm and firm, giving me confidence that I can take care of myself. That in itself helped me to keep my emotions checked, which helped to de-escalate these situations through talking.

Like mentioned earlier here, there is certain dynamics (especially between males) that is good to have understanding. If someone is talking to you inappropriately, there's room to adjust your own tone (in a civil manner of course), kind of to show your own "teeth", (that you can be dangerous) and this in itself can de-escalate the situation. So not saying anything provoking can sometimes mean that you have to be quite firm with your words. Many probably have experienced this, and it doesn't require martial arts; Jordan Peterson doesn't know any, but he has very good understanding of his boundaries, with well integrated aggression. (as seen in some of the more hostile interviews/events).

Thank you all for answers. I think that i found what I was asking :-) If I may i would wrote my conclusion, maybe it would be helpfull for someone. My question was made becouse in that time I considered the worst scenario but as I see now, the awarness and hearing to what the world want to tell us is the best way, as you are saying. My question was made becouse in last time, I'm less focused on my physical, and fight condition. I was afraid that maybe it would be necesary in nearest "worst" times. But I think that as you say: you never would know what would happend. There are few moments in my life, when I thinked that I would die but in that moments I just do not thinked, I just doing that something telling me to do, in that time I was calling it instinct, but now I could say that maybe it was openminded mind and message from our "higher" friends :-) And to those who thinking about the worst in the future: There is still hope, we must be openminded and optimistic. A lot will happend, but we must fight till the end as good ones, and maybe, when we stop thinking about the worst, the proper future will also come :-)

I think the discussion about self-defense has shown that there are at least two different mindsets on the issue.
On one side there are those with a can do attitude or the martial artists. They don't want to meet their fate lying down.

Then there are the philosophers who feel that they can evade their fate by creating and improving a state of heightened awareness, expecting always to be at the right place at the right time.

Personally I'm torn between these two dispositions. Never having been attacked or threatened for all six decades of my life, it seems I must have been doing something right. But what?

Having been the anxious and careful type I was naturally drawn towards increased awareness.
Before my path had drawn me to Cassiopaea I never entertained religious thoughts, so it couldn't have been prayers.

Lately I was beginning to have second thoughts about the assumed "spiritual invulnerability" (for lack of a better term).
The way things are expected to be going I was coming to the realization that at some point in time I would have to stand my ground in a physical altercation that I was never prepared for.

Far from being able (or willing) to become a civil war prepper I made sure that I have some gear and contraptions to aid me in personal defense.

I think what I have learned from the forum is that to be able to be useful to others (let alone the Universe) you have to exercise your free will to stay "in the game" - not for the sake of your modest self - but for the ability to practice service-to-others and to make sure that it is not our ego we're doing it for, most of us will have to put up with the realization they're not going to leave this world "alive".

Lessons learned, physical vehicle left behind. :shock:

I think martial arts, or any similar physical/mental activities are only useful insofar as quick reflexes, mobility and agility increase the probability to avoid unfortunate danger. Many people have the fantasy of a Bruce Lee movie, but in real life, especially if things go down to chaos, one is more likely to fall into a embush or a trap. Being able to jump, run and move efficiently can help, but staying to do some cinema heroics while being surrounded by armed psychos is not the best of solutions.

Regarding situational awareness I highly recommend this book Left of Bang: How the Marine Corps' Combat Hunter Program Can Save Your Life. From Amazon description:

-- You walk into a restaurant and get an immediate sense that you should leave.

-- You are about to step onto an elevator with a stranger and something stops you.

-- You interview a potential new employee who has the resume to do the job, but something tells you not to offer a position.

These scenarios all represent LEFT OF BANG, the moments before something bad happens. But how many times have you talked yourself out of leaving the restaurant, getting off the elevator, or getting over your silly “gut” feeling about someone? Is there a way to not just listen to your inner protector more, but to actually increase your sensitivity to threats before they happen?

Legendary Marine General James Mattis asked the same question and issued a directive to operationalize the Marine Corps’ Combat Hunter program. A comprehensive and no-nonsense approach to heightening each and every one of our gifts of fear, LEFT OF BANG is the result.

Etant handicapée, je ne sors pour ainsi dire pas de chez moi, mais si j'étais attaquée je ne me battrai pas et j'accepterai la mort car il est hors de question pour moi de prendre la vie de quelqu'un même si j'en étais capable...

Being disabled, I hardly leave home, but if I was attacked I would not fight and I would accept death because it is out of the question for me to take someone's life even if I were able to...

I think that is the way a lot of people think. Here I think a sense of purpose is important. If you feel your life serves a very important purpose, then you may be willing to fight for it. And I see nothing wrong with self-defense. Evildoers would be elated for you to lie down and let them run over you, and then they could move on to the next victim. That would be playing into their hands, and this is a lot of how we get into such a bad situation in the first place; perhaps a situation that makes you feel your life is not worth fighting for. Although we hope that does not mean fighting in the physical sense.

Etant handicapée, je ne sors pour ainsi dire pas de chez moi, mais si j'étais attaquée je ne me battrai pas et j'accepterai la mort car il est hors de question pour moi de prendre la vie de quelqu'un même si j'en étais capable...

Being disabled, I hardly leave home, but if I was attacked I would not fight and I would accept death because it is out of the question for me to take someone's life even if I were able to...
I think that is the way a lot of people think. Here I think a sense of purpose is important. If you feel your life serves a very important purpose, then you may be willing to fight for it. And I see nothing wrong with self-defense. Evildoers would be elated for you to lie down and let them run over you, and then they could move on to the next victim. That would be playing into their hands, and this is a lot of how we get into such a bad situation in the first place; perhaps a situation that makes you feel your life is not worth fighting for. Although we hope that does not mean fighting in the physical sense.
From my personal understanding, you are both right.

And I believe that, for example, the "teacher" Julio Cesar, "chose" in his life at some point.

And here we are!🤔

Due to fate and personal and collective injuries, I find it difficult to are involved in violent situations at least for a good part of us ... rather than practicing martial arts (which in most cases do not serve much for real conflict situations), the right thing it would be to emphasize on improving consciousness which apparently will have more impact on fourth density since the way to fight there is different from that of third ... even so and without anticipating we would go through a difficult period before going to that higher density and there are complicated situations that we will tend to avoid with the consciousness, personally I think that as a hypothetical case is fine, many of us are afraid of hurting others, I include myself ... but I do not see virtue in not being able to defend myself and even more so if the threat is directed to a group with an SAO inclination that would threaten its existence, so at least as a state of mind to be willing to protect, protect to others and not surrender is the most suitable.

further,although the Cs policy is not to violate free will and with this its answers often answer the specific questions you ask ... they take the liberty of getting out of it if there is something important to that say that does not violate free will, following this thought they have focused ONLY on consciousness as a resource ... even so use your free will.

I think it's important to show to the external world that one can be "dangerous" if they have to be (even a chihuahua can get viscous if provoked) and walk with confidence without fear, even walking with a subtle confident strut as long as it doesn't provoke or intimidate others, and I don't think martial arts is really necessary for this although I think it can help with situational awareness. Carrying mace and knowing how to use it is always a good option too if it's legal in your area and if one can remember to take it with them!

I've lived virtually my whole life without physically fighting. Maybe a few scuffles in my pre-teen/ teenage years. I'm 56 years old, so I think it's more than just luck. Although there maybe some of that involved as well. There's something about how I live and how I deal with people that contributes the most, I would say. And it's not because I'm a push over. I get my way way more often than not. But, I'm also very reasonable. Others who know me well say that about me. So I think martial arts is great for a variety of reasons; physical fitness, coordination, mental focus, grounding, confidence. etc. But as Altair pointed out, being safe has more to do with situational awareness. And I think being able to 'read' people is important as well.

My 2 cents

I think it's important to show to the external world that one can be "dangerous" if they have to be (even a chihuahua can get viscous if provoked) and walk with confidence without fear, even walking with a subtle confident strut as long as it doesn't provoke or intimidate others(..)
👍

Carrying mace and knowing how to use it is always a good option(..)

I have some of these cartridges stored for years and wouldn't rely on them to still work properly.
What if you need them and the stuff isn't ejected?

If they do work, a lot would depend on the prevailing wind direction.

There's another thing, reports about people not being very much irritated by the spray while on drugs, booze or with an exacerbating psychiatric condition.

kenlee said:
Carrying mace and knowing how to use it is always a good option(..)

Ursus Minor:
I have some of these cartridges stored for years and wouldn't rely on them to still work properly.
What if you need them and the stuff isn't ejected?

If they do work, a lot would depend on the prevailing wind direction.

There's another thing, reports about people not being very much irritated by the spray while on drugs, booze or with an exacerbating psychiatric condition.

It would also require you knowing you are going to be attacked and being able to prepare and spray. Most attackers want the element of surprise.

Back
Top Bottom