Laura's Dahl

Does anyone know approximately how many servings this makes? I have to travel next week, planning on preparing a kilo of this on day one and eating it for the week. Also I need to know how much rice to bring to go with it.

Thanks!

D Rusak said:
Does anyone know approximately how many servings this makes? I have to travel next week, planning on preparing a kilo of this on day one and eating it for the week. Also I need to know how much rice to bring to go with it.

Thanks!

I made a pot on Saturday, and it's fed four people since then a few meals left, so I think you'll be good! You'll have to determine how much rice you'll need for a week, though. 3 cups (dry) usually lasts only 2 or 3 days here.

It's a pretty big amount. If you aren't going to be able to eat it in two or three days, you might consider freezing some of it in portion packs.

I had a sample of Laura's dhal this week. It is really good and can be used with a variety of side dishes and as toppings to just about anything on the menu. I just returned from a shopping trip into town, to gather ingredients and find a new coffee grinder (I gave my 110v grinder away before I left the states). Finding fenugreek (fenugrec) is proving problematic here. It might take a trip to the city for that. Dhal will be a staple here soon.

I suffer from an ingestive problem, as opposed to digestive. I have achalasia, as a result of American quackery masquerading as the practice of medicine. In the 80s, after a round of powerful antibiotics for pneumonia, I began to have severe heartburn problems. The quacks threw prilosec, nexium, etc. at it to no avail. I burned the nerves for my esophageal sphincter, at the top of my stomach (directly in the middle of my diaphragm and touching the vagus nerve), leaving me with a constriction of that valve which allows food to enter the stomach. The symptoms are disgusting. The corrective surgery for this is worse than the condition. A friend told me about probiotics, which immediately solved the original heartburn problem, but the damage had already been done by then.

After going gluten free last month and beginning the breathing exercises and meditation, the physical symptoms of my condition are noticeably lessening. It looks like the peppers will have to go also, which is a pity, since I devoted most of my patio planting to all varieties of exotic peppers this summer. Yesterday I tested one jalapeno ring which I had pickled last month. It really threw my esophagus into a snit. For a few hours I couldn't even get water down. Au revoir peppers... I liked them a lot, too.

The point of this rambling post is to confirm my experience that the combination of Laura's recommended dietary changes, coupled with the Éiriú Eolas program, if undertaken with full commitment, appears to be a very powerful 3D body medicine... aside from what it is doing on other levels.

"Physician, heal thyself."

I had a sample of Laura's dhal this week. It is really good and can be used with a variety of side dishes and as toppings to just about anything on the menu. I just returned from a shopping trip into town, to gather ingredients and find a new coffee grinder (I gave my 110v grinder away before I left the states). Finding fenugreek (fenugrec) is proving problematic here. It might take a trip to the city for that. Dhal will be a staple here soon.

We made another pot of Dahl this evening, minus the fenugreek and black pepper. Fenugreek because we also are having a hard time finding it, and no black pepper because it makes both of us cough still. I make it in 2 cup batches for the lentils. That makes enough for one meal and one leftover, depending on Hubby's appetite. ;)

Hubby wants to grind up the spices and label them in a jar, but I think its better to grind as we make the dish, its just fresher tasting. I have to say even without all the spices in the recipe as written, its still mighty good eats. (For a 2 cup batch of lentils, I use 2 tsp of spice for each and it works great.)

This is the only food I can eat or cook well right now, going on week 2 of the seasonal flu.

I made the dahl also, a huge pot, but I made a mistake!

I ate some on Thursday, before we did the Breathing program...

You can imagine what happened... :-[ and then you have to breath in! :lol: :wow:

I forgot to post this a while back, so here we go. :D

Its possible to find the spice Fenugreek in Indian Markets under the name of Methi. A little of it goes a long way, so we picked up a moderate size bag.

Just an fyi if folks are having a hard time finding it.

Happy cooking!

Hubby didn't want anything very spicy this evening, so this is a modified version of Laura's Dahl I fixed up:

Two cups yellow lentils (picked, washed and rinsed 4 times in cold water)

1/4 cup ghee
2 T Ground Turmeric
2 T Ground Cumin
1T Ground Coriander Seeds
1 T Ground Fenugreek
2 t Ground Ginger
2 T Ground Fennel
1/8th t of stevia or 1 T of xylitol (to bring out the coconut flavor)
1 t of minced garlic

1 can of unsweetened coconut milk

Put the washed lentils in a pot and fill with filtered water at least one half inch above the lentils. Bring to a boil, then simmer until lentils are tender.
Puree in a blender until smooth. (I used a stick blender for this) Set the pot off the fire. (The lentils will be a bit soupy)

Put the ghee in a pan and let it melt. Once melted, pour the ground spices and stir or whisk to incorporate them. Let bubble for about 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant.
Add the garlic and sweetner sub, whisk again. Take the pot off the burner and add about a quarter cup of the coconut oil and whisk. But the pot back on the burner and finish whisking in the rest of the can. Let it bubble again for another minute.

Stir the combined 'sauce' into the lentils, and mix together well. This makes a nice cream soup consistency, and we had this over brown rice.

I have a sensitivity to salt, so I don't add any to the main dish, and we both adjust seasoning by the serving. This was really good over the brown rice, and I'm wondering how it will pan out once the flavors have blended over night.

With all recipes: adjust the proportions to taste. :D Hubby had a sleepless night last night and wanted something that was simple and soothing. He ate two bowls and ended up asleep with the cat. Success! :lol:

Dahl is great comfort food and so is split pea soup. And yes, I make it with ham or bacon and a few carrots for a nice color contrast. Yesterday I made it in the pressure cooker. It was fast and GOOD. And even though I made a HUGE pot of it, I don't think there will be any leftover for today!

Yes! I have wanted to say that comfort food is indeed possible with detox recipes. A nice pot of lentil soup on a winter day... Massive comfort!

Back
Top Bottom