Laura's Dahl

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Let me begin by saying that I'm not a great fan of Indian food - I'm a bland, plain food person generally - but this is one traditional Indian dish that, with slight modifications, I really love. I make a big pot of it at least once a week and it keeps well for several days. Whenever you feel a bit peckish, some Dahl on brown rice is a great snack or meal. I even have it for breakfast!

One kilo (2.2 pounds) of Coral lentils. You can also use split peas or other lentils or beans with this seasoning, but it really is best with the coral lentils.

Wash the lentils thoroughly maybe 4 or 5 times. I put them in the pot and start the water running on them, swish them with my hands, and let the water run off for about 5 minutes.

Cook according to package directions.

In a medium pan, melt two heaping tablespoons of Ghee.

Add: (all measures are slightly rounded teaspoons full)

5 Ground Turmeric
4 Gound Cumin
4 Ground Coriander Seeds
4 Ground Fenugreek
3 Ground Ginger
3 Ground Black Pepper
2 Ground Fennel
1.5 Black Mustard Seeds
2 Chopped or dried garlic
4 Dijon Mustard
5 Lemon juice
4 Xylitol (or cane sugar or honey if you can tolerate it)

If possible, grind your spices fresh in a coffee grinder.

Stir them all in the Ghee as it gets hot, let it bubble a little. Then pour the spice mix into the lentils and mix thoroughly. Add water or vegetable or chicken broth to thin the mixture to a thick soup consistency. Salt to taste. Serve over Brown Rice or rice noodles or eat plain as a soup or make it thicker and roll it up in a buckwheat crepe.

Thanks for the recipe! I'm a big fan of spicy foods, so this sounds like it might be up my alley.

I wasn't familiar with Ghee, so I had to look it up. For those others who are unfamiliar:

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee

Ghee is made by simmering unsalted butter in a large pot until all water has boiled off and protein has settled to the bottom. The cooked and clarified butter is then spooned off to avoid disturbing the milk solids on the bottom of the pan. Unlike butter, ghee can be stored for extended periods without refrigeration, provided it is kept in an airtight container to prevent oxidation and remains moisture-free.[2] Texture, colour, or taste of ghee depends on the source of the milk from which the butter was made and the extent of boiling. In India, ghee is usually made with water buffalo's milk as it tends to be whiter than cow's milk

Being fairly intolerant to cow milk products, I might have to do a test to see if I can tolerate the Ghee. It says it traditionally comes from buffalo's milk, so I might be fine with that. I'll have to look around in the stores for this.

Ryan

Thank You, Laura for the delicious recipe!
I was gonna ask you about curry. I buy it in the Chinese market near by.
I'm using curry paste with coconut milk and onion.
Three kind yellow, green and red. The red is with chili pepper and very, very Hot! :scared:
Ingredients:

Shallot 20%
Garlic 20%
Dried red chili 15%
Salt 14 %
Lemon grass 10%
Kaffir lime peel 5%
Galangal 5%
Cinnamon 3%
Mace 3%
Cumin powder 2%
Coriander seeds 2%
Turmeric 1%

Looks edible for me! :)

What do you think?

Cheers

I am intolerant of dairy, but ghee works for me.

This recipe is 100% anti-inflammatory. That is why it is "modified." My body screams if one molecule of inflammatory stuff - like peppers (nightshade) - gets in, so I have to be super careful. Here, I have something that is "spicy" but not inflammatory.

I also do not buy curry powder which is just a combination of many of my dahl spices and a few other things, because they always sneak something in there that causes me pain. Sorry, but the whole Indian food trick is a no go for my system!

Peppers of all kinds are EEEEEEEvil for me! (And a LOT of other people, too!)

Great recipe! I’ve been a fan of dhal for a long time. Brown rice and dhal is one of my favourite meals. Red lentils (as coral lentils are known in the UK) are extremely versatile. You can make the dhal as thin as you like – like soup - or as thick as you like, like paté. As Laura says, it keeps well in the fridge. While it’s in the fridge it gets thicker and the flavours develop nicely.

You can make the dhal without spices, just use herbs instead. For example you can use sage, oregano, basil, coriander leaf – anything really as the lentils have little flavour themselves.

The proportion of 1 part lentils to 2 parts water cooks in about 20 minutes on a low simmer, and all the water is absorbed. Using more water results in a thinner consistency.

My current method for dhal is like this:

Chop 2 – 3 onions.
Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a pan and add the onions.
Cook the onions on a low heat for 20-30 minutes, until they are soft and transparent.
Add 2½ cups washed red lentils and stir.
Add 4½ - 5 cups boiling water, and salt, stock, spices or herbs to taste. I like to use ground coriander, turmeric, cumin and coriander leaf.
When it has come to the boil, turn down the heat, cover and cook on a low simmer until the water is absorbed (about 20 minutes). Don’t let it boil dry as it does burn quite easily.
When it’s cooked, stir it thoroughly.

Serve right away, or store it in the fridge. It is very versatile. If the dhal is to be eaten right away, right after I’ve removed the dhal from the heat I add some freshly crushed garlic and allow it to stand for a few minutes before serving.

Using the dhal from the fridge, you can make a nice lentil and bacon soup, like this:

Chop the bacon and cook it to taste.
Add some boiling water.
Add some of the lentil dhal from the fridge, bring to a simmer, stir well to mix in the lentils and voila! - almost instant lentil and bacon soup.
You’ll have to experiment to find the quantities that result in a consistency of soup that you like.

You can make a lentil dhal without the onions – just put lentils (1 part), water (2 parts) and whatever herbs and/or spices you like into a pan, bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed (or how you like it) and serve. Quick and easy!

The dhal from the fridge which has become quite thick during storage works well as a paté with rice cakes or oat crackers.

Lentil dhal is great with boiled eggs and steamed vegetables with olive oil.

Here’s a tasty, quick and easy meal:

Put some cooked brown rice and lentils (both from the fridge) in the top of a steamer. Add some vegetables, and a few cloves of garlic, roughly chopped. When the vegetables are cooked, the rice and lentils are hot – about 10 minutes. Turn out onto a plate and pour over some olive oil and Himalayan salt.

Here’s some information about ghee, from The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies, by Vasant Lad:

Vasant Lad said:
STORING GHEE
Ghee can be kept on the kitchen shelf. It does not need refrigeration. Its medicinal properties are said to improve with age. Don’t ladle out the ghee with a wet spoon or allow any water to get into the container, as this will create conditions for bacteria to grow and spoil the ghee.

EFFECTS OF GHEE
Ghee increases digestive fire and improves absorption and elimination. It nourishes ajas, the subtle essence of all the body’s tissues, strengthens the brain and nervous system, and improves memory. It lubricates the connective tissue and makes the body more flexible. […]

Vasant Lad does give a caution about about using ghee if one has high cholesterol, or is overweight.

The Maharishi Ayurveda Newsletter (_http://www.mapi.com/ayurveda_health_care/newsletters/ghee_clarified_butter.html ) has some interesting comments regarding ghee:

Ghee (clarified butter) has been used in India for thousands of years. Maharishi Ayurveda considers it a Rasayana, a rejuvenatingand longevity-promoting food. Ghee is traditionally made by heating butter until it becomes a golden liquid. The coagulated lactose and other milk solids are removed in the process, making it suitable for lactose intolerant people. […]

So where does ghee stand in the battle of good versus bad fats? Most of ghee's saturated fats are short-chain fatty acids, which makes it easily digestible. It also contains up to 27% monounsaturated fatty acids and only 4-5% polyunsaturated fatty acids. Since our body needs both saturated and unsaturated fats this combination is close to ideal. Ghee's rate of absorption is 96%, the highest of all oils and fats. […]

One of the main uses of ghee is for cooking. It enhances the flavor of foods, increases absorption of nutrients and pacifies all the three doshas. Maharishi Ayurveda recommends sautéing your spices in ghee, because it can help carry the lipid soluble portions of the spices to the lipid-based cell walls of the body. […]

The proper amount of ghee also enhances agni, (digestive fire). But too much ghee has the opposite effect. Think of a ghee lamp: in order to burn it you need to keep adding ghee. But if you dump too much ghee in it you will extinguish the flame. Even though ghee is a healthy fat, you need to consume it in moderation. In general, you can eat one teaspoon of melted ghee twice a day.

Personally, although I do not tolerate dairy products well, not even goat’s cheese, I have no problem with ghee.

this should be great for us here! I have recently learned that the "spicy" taste of Indian or Chinese food actually has two separate dimensions -- "spicy" and "hot", the latter coming from peppers. I'm ok with a little bit of spice but can't stand the hot taste. This recipe is perfect, thank you!

Hildegarda said:
this should be great for us here! I have recently learned that the "spicy" taste of Indian or Chinese food actually has two separate dimensions -- "spicy" and "hot", the latter coming from peppers. I'm ok with a little bit of spice but can't stand the hot taste. This recipe is perfect, thank you!

I'm the same, though, as I said, I generally prefer rather bland, delicate tastes, not massive assaults on my taste-buds!

Most people would probably benefit from eliminating all peppers from their diet for a couple of weeks and then reintroduce them as a means of testing if these substances are actually good for them. This is especially true for those who may suffer from things such as depression, brain fog, irritability, automatic negative thoughts, and so forth. These (and more) can be a consequence of brain inflammation due to irritants such as peppers, gluten, dairy, and so on.

4 Dijon Mustard

The mustard is the only ingredient I might have a hard time finding, but this recipe sounds really good! We have a big tub of coral lentils I've been wanting to use, this would be a good one to try out. Thank you!

Laura said:
Most people would probably benefit from eliminating all peppers from their diet for a couple of weeks and then reintroduce them as a means of testing if these substances are actually good for them. This is especially true for those who may suffer from things such as depression, brain fog, irritability, automatic negative thoughts, and so forth. These (and more) can be a consequence of brain inflammation due to irritants such as peppers, gluten, dairy, and so on.

I'm definitely going to eliminate all things in the nightshade family!

I've been gluten-free for two weeks now, and dairy-free for a week, and yet still have gastrointestinal/oesophageal symptoms. However I've still been eating tomatoes, capsicums (peppers) and potatoes during that time. I've actually experienced gastrointestinal/oesophageal symptoms for about 15 years on and off, including heartburn. Once, about 13 years ago now, I had a severe attack of goodness-knows-what -- all I knew was that the doctors couldn't find anything wrong, and yet I had the most agonising pain in my gut that felt like I had just drunk sulfuric acid. The pain lasted for hours. I was immobilised for the duration, and nothing I took (pain relief, antacid etc.) had any effect. I only felt slightly nauseous at the time, but I believe this was from the pain, not the stomach affliction. I had another serious attack of that same agony about 6 months later. In each case, only time (several hours) seemed to cure whatever it was that caused it. I never managed to pinpoint anything I had eaten at the time, and I know it wasn't food poisoning because I've experienced that also and it was nothing like food poisoning (no vomiting).

In the 13 years since then, I occasionally get mild burning discomfort in my stomach and oesophagus that is similar to those two attacks (but nowhere near as severe). My mother is a coeliac, so I think I might be as well, though she can tolerate nightshade plants. Also it took about 2 months for her symptoms to vanish after starting the gluten-free diet.

3D Resident said:
I've actually experienced gastrointestinal/oesophageal symptoms for about 15 years on and off, including heartburn. Once, about 13 years ago now, I had a severe attack of goodness-knows-what -- all I knew was that the doctors couldn't find anything wrong, and yet I had the most agonising pain in my gut that felt like I had just drunk sulfuric acid. The pain lasted for hours. I was immobilised for the duration, and nothing I took (pain relief, antacid etc.) had any effect. I only felt slightly nauseous at the time, but I believe this was from the pain, not the stomach affliction. I had another serious attack of that same agony about 6 months later. In each case, only time (several hours) seemed to cure whatever it was that caused it. I never managed to pinpoint anything I had eaten at the time, and I know it wasn't food poisoning because I've experienced that also and it was nothing like food poisoning (no vomiting).

Gee, sounds like pancreatitis - which I've had a few attacks of... or gallstones which can be involved in pancreatitis.

You'll probably benefit from multi-enzymes and DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice).

Sorry for asking 3D Resident, but are you male or female? I had the exact same thing happen to me recently, and until I landed in the emergency room, I had never known something like that even existed. But it only happens to females, therefor the question. According to the doctors, it's not uncommon either. :huh:

I've been gluten-free for two weeks now, and dairy-free for a week, and yet still have gastrointestinal/oesophageal symptoms. However I've still been eating tomatoes, capsicums (peppers) and potatoes during that time. I've actually experienced gastrointestinal/oesophageal symptoms for about 15 years on and off, including heartburn. Once, about 13 years ago now, I had a severe attack of goodness-knows-what -- all I knew was that the doctors couldn't find anything wrong, and yet I had the most agonising pain in my gut that felt like I had just drunk sulfuric acid. The pain lasted for hours. I was immobilised for the duration, and nothing I took (pain relief, antacid etc.) had any effect. I only felt slightly nauseous at the time, but I believe this was from the pain, not the stomach affliction. I had another serious attack of that same agony about 6 months later. In each case, only time (several hours) seemed to cure whatever it was that caused it. I never managed to pinpoint anything I had eaten at the time, and I know it wasn't food poisoning because I've experienced that also and it was nothing like food poisoning (no vomiting).

3D Resident,
I had the same thing, the first time I had to phone my sister to come to take care of my son because I feel I couldn't even move. Eventually I was able to correlate this with those low-fat low-calorie supposedly-very-nutritious gluten-bombs breakfast cereals (I don't know if I can mention brands). I never ate any of those again, this was 3 or 4 years ago. I'm gluten-free for 3 weeks, but not because of gastrointestinal problems, these disappeared after I stopped eating breakfast cereals.

Laura said:
Gee, sounds like pancreatitis - which I've had a few attacks of... or gallstones which can be involved in pancreatitis.

I'll definitely look into that possibility. I don't want to go through the experience ever again.

E said:
Sorry for asking 3D Resident, but are you male or female? I had the exact same thing happen to me recently, and until I landed in the emergency room, I had never known something like that even existed. But it only happens to females, therefor the question. According to the doctors, it's not uncommon either. :huh:

I'm male. So whatever it was you had, probably doesn't apply to me. Do you know what your problem was called? I should probably clarify what I mean by "agonising pain". It was not the kind of agonising pain I occasionally experience which is so sharp I feel like I'm going to faint (this pain can be the result of wind). It was a long, drawn-out pain I can only describe as though acid was eating away the walls of my stomach. Nonetheless, it was no less agonising than sharp pains I've experienced.

Scheherazade said:
3D Resident,
I had the same thing, the first time I had to phone my sister to come to take care of my son because I feel I couldn't even move. Eventually I was able to correlate this with those low-fat low-calorie supposedly-very-nutritious gluten-bombs breakfast cereals (I don't know if I can mention brands). I never ate any of those again, this was 3 or 4 years ago. I'm gluten-free for 3 weeks, but not because of gastrointestinal problems, these disappeared after I stopped eating breakfast cereals.

Well both of those attacks I had occurred in the late morning. So if it was caused by what I had eaten, it was most likely breakfast. The only thing I used to ever eat for breakfast was a wheat biscuit cereal with milk (I only stopped eating these a few weeks ago!!!).

Psyche said:
You'll probably benefit from multi-enzymes and DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice).

I'll look into that.

3D Resident said:
I'm male. So whatever it was you had, probably doesn't apply to me. Do you know what your problem was called? I should probably clarify what I mean by "agonising pain". It was not the kind of agonising pain I occasionally experience which is so sharp I feel like I'm going to faint (this pain can be the result of wind). It was a long, drawn-out pain I can only describe as though acid was eating away the walls of my stomach. Nonetheless, it was no less agonising than sharp pains I've experienced.

That eliminates that possibility then. ;) It's a pain so bad you feel like fainting (I couldn't stand upright, had to bend forward), and it literally only lasts a couple of hours. It vanishes in an instant, not gradually. Don't know if it has a name, they just explained what was happening - most prevalent they said in women who experience a lot of stress. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom