Keyboard shortcut for next page

Esprit

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
Can we 'next page' or 'previous page' using a keyboard shortcut in the Cassiopaea forum ?

It actually works for previous page and next page only if it's been previously loaded. Mac=Cmd+arrow left or right probably CTRL on PC.

I could have sworn in the past that I have accidentally pressed some keys that took me to the next page in the forum. This is on PC. I looked up some shortcuts thinking it was browser specific, but didn't find much for Firefox and Internet Explorer. The only thing I can come up with is that Alt + Left arrow = back and Alt + Right arrow = forward. But that is the page history you visited, and not the next page in the forum.

The forward/backward shortcuts work because they are related to the browser's function, but if you're looking for a 'previous' and 'back' shortcuts related to pages within a thread that might not be as likely. 'Previous' and 'back' links don't exist on the forum for navigating within a thread. There are 'previous/next' links that take you to the next topic in a subforum, but there aren't ones related to a particular thread. You navigate a thread by going through to the page number. There would have to be a shortcut for each page number, which wouldn't make sense for a thread that has dozens or hundreds of pages. And that's saying that you would be able to program a shortcut to find a certain link. That might or might not be possible, but it doesn't seem like it would make sense in terms of the layout of the forum.

If you only wish to use your keyboard though, and if you're using chrome you can use the tab button to move forward and shift+tab to move backward, and then press enter once you land on the desired link. There is also a google chrome extension called "Type-ahead-find" which allows you to quickly search for links by using the single quote ' and then you type what you are looking for. It uses the tab order that was just mentioned so when you land on a link you are able to just press enter and go to that page. If you were on page one of a thread on the forum you would type '+2+enter to go to page 2. It's not exactly a shortcut, but it would be pretty quick.

Thanks for the detailed answer ! I'll check into extensions good idea it might help to extend the basic 'find' search box maybe.

Esprit,

There is a solution to not use too much the mouse on the forum :

You click on the 'last message' link of the choosen thread, you will end up to the last message you have read.
When you have finish with the page you press 'alt +left arrow' and then 'alt +right arrow', that will make you go to the next page.

Back
Top Bottom