Keto recipes

I'm glad you liked it (or at least how it looks like :P )

I forgot to mention that I turned it over when it had 40 minutes of baking in the oven. It isn't necessary to do so, but in that way the bacon is on top and gets a nice colour and a dries a bit, and I just think it gets cooked more evenly like that. If you don't turn it over, the bacon stays drowned in all the fat and water that gets out during cooking, so it gets kind of wet :lol:

ashu said:
Yas, what is the cream on top of the meatloaf? It looks mouth watering delicious btw!

Thanks! :)

The "cream" is bone broth. I use MK Scarlett recipe with variations on the spices I use due to sensitivity. It looks like that when it is cold, so when you put it on top of the hot meatloaf it starts melting, but it is still creamy and it adds a delicious flavour.

Yas said:
The "cream" is bone broth. I use MK Scarlett recipe with variations on the spices I use due to sensitivity. It looks like that when it is cold, so when you put it on top of the hot meatloaf it starts melting, but it is still creamy and it adds a delicious flavour.

Thank you Yas, I have printed out the recipes and shall have a go with experimenting :thup:

Gandalf said:
Heimdallr said:
Oooh, that looks GOOOOD Yas!! :perfect:

Indeed, it looks delicious.

I'm gonna try it tonight.

And it was just delicious.

I just modified a bit the recipe in adding an egg and adding other spices.

Thanks again for sharing.

Gandalf said:
Gandalf said:
Heimdallr said:
Oooh, that looks GOOOOD Yas!! :perfect:

Indeed, it looks delicious.

I'm gonna try it tonight.

And it was just delicious.

I just modified a bit the recipe in adding an egg and adding other spices.

Thanks again for sharing.

Great! I'm glad it turned out good for you as well :D

I need some ideas for my teens to take for lunch. My son has decided that he would like to make a conscious effort to get rid of sugar in his diet, he has a fat bomb with me in the mornings, and is quite happy to consume fat and meat. . School however is another issue, so if anyone has some ideas for keto nibbles, snacks and foods that I can send my teens with, it would be much appreciated. (he dislikes the taste of macadamia nuts; nuts are not an option as a school food, due to so many having kids having nut allergies). Both my kids do consume wheat and rice, but I try to keep that to a minimum. I would like to explore the idea of keto/paleo-teen friendly food. Teens are almost a genus of a separate species unto themselves, hence the term keto-teen friendly ;D

Arwenn said:
I need some ideas for my teens to take for lunch. My son has decided that he would like to make a conscious effort to get rid of sugar in his diet, he has a fat bomb with me in the mornings, and is quite happy to consume fat and meat. . School however is another issue, so if anyone has some ideas for keto nibbles, snacks and foods that I can send my teens with, it would be much appreciated. (he dislikes the taste of macadamia nuts; nuts are not an option as a school food, due to so many having kids having nut allergies). Both my kids do consume wheat and rice, but I try to keep that to a minimum. I would like to explore the idea of keto/paleo-teen friendly food. Teens are almost a genus of a separate species unto themselves, hence the term keto-teen friendly ;D

That's a tricky one ... the only thing that comes to my mind is strips of fried bacon and hard boiled eggs. That's Bacon'n eggs in your pocket ...
Another alternative would be just slices of meat (I like to roll some butter in them) or jerky. Put a few salad leaves for external consideration, et voila!

nicklebleu said:
That's a tricky one ... the only thing that comes to my mind is strips of fried bacon and hard boiled eggs. That's Bacon'n eggs in your pocket ...
Another alternative would be just slices of meat (I like to roll some butter in them) or jerky. Put a few salad leaves for external consideration, et voila!

Thanks for your reply, some great suggestions there. I also thought of making a batch of Caesar salad (minus croutons of course) with chicken and bacon. I'll look up the recipe for keto-mayo as a dressing. Cold cut meats are also a great suggestion, as are the hard boiled eggs. if I come across anything keto-teentastic, I'll post it here, I'm sure I'm not the only one with this conundrum. Thanks a bunch! :flowers:

Avocado fried chips are a good snack, a little high in carbs but good for fat (especially fried in beef dripping or something). Them along with some form of meat that you can add butter with, bacon is a great suggestion. Sometimes I wrap my bacon in some lettuce and it tastes great :)

What about making your own sausage meat? I use pork mince, mash it up with my hands, add an egg yolk and some olive oil (or maybe even add animal fat? I haven't tried this yet), herbs like thyme, sage, garlic etc to add taste - you can turn them into little burgers or whatever shape, fry or oven them.

Arwenn said:

Hi Arwenn,
That's great about your son. This is what my kids have taken to school and as far as I know, no weird looks or comments from the other kids:
Ham rolled in butter
Chicken soup
Caesar soup
Variation of Caesar soup with coconut milk, butter, onion, chicken, and a little ketchup, I was trying for something like cream of tomato soup.
Chicken salad with onion and homemade mayo
Ham salad with diced pickle and mayo
Sausage sliced with mushrooms and onion cooked in lard
Chef salad (I like your idea of the mayo as a dressing. I was doing a separate container of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and herbs)
Boiled eggs (only one will take eggs, the other 2 say they smell up the classroom :))
Fat bomb

That's all I can think of at the moment. Please post what works for you guys, I'm always looking for new ideas. :flowers:

As far as a snack would go, would pork rinds work? You can spritz a little vinegar on them for a nice flavor change, or go for a little cinnamon and xylitol if you're feeling something sweet. Just a thought. :)

Hey Arwenn.

Not sure if this would be suitable for a snack, but for meal times if you fancy trying some "international" dishes, you could try out a traditional English meal... Something we call "Bangers and Mash" over here ;)

It typically consists of sausage rested on mashed potato with an onion gravy.

However, as we can't eat potato's... Me and Thorn recently came up with a low carb-high fat alternative - Broccoli Mash :D

Ingredients:

One Head of Broccoli
Salt - to taste
Black pepper - to taste
100g Butter/Ghee/Lard
A few parsley leaves

Method:
Boil or steam the broccoli till tender but not too soft. Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until thick and sloppy!

Attachments

• 20150424_201805.jpg
    20150424_201805.jpg
    691.4 KB · Views: 139
... or you could use avocado instead of broccoli. You need then to add a bit of lemon juice to it to prevent oxidation (the avocados turning brown at the surface).

Back
Top Bottom