Keto recipes

dugdeep said:
Fat:carb:protein ratio for the "chococcino":

120g fat; 24g carbs; 3g protein.

Those carbs are all xylitol, so I think the actual usable carbohydrate would be lower. Divide those figures into 3 or 4 servings and you're laughing.

Exactly. If I was gonna go over my preferred carb allowance, I want my whole daily requirement for fat in there! Basically what you get there is a measly 30 grams of fat with 12 carbs. And don't try to weasel on those carbs either!

dugdeep said:
I think I'll try experimenting with using coconut cream instead of water to get the fat count up even higher. Maybe add some egg yolks, too :cool2:

People forget that eggs are loaded with fat AND lecithin. Why put in soy lecithin when you can use the real deal from eggs AND get fat to boot?

You will need to cook it as I described, and then you can drop some ice in there and run it through the blender for a milk shake if you like.

dugdeep said:
I'm thinking about maybe making one of my daily meals some sort of "smoothie", something along the lines of Laura's milkshake. Time to jack up my fat consumption!

That's what I'm doing, only using the custard because the fat in that one is WAAAY up there. I had one yesterday afternoon and wow!

Excellent salmon yummy. Rather like our pate/fate mix: liver/bacon pate with added butter and lard rolled up in lettuce leaves.

shellycheval said:
NTF
Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk (unsweetened) in the can

At what store(s) do you find this product Nancy? All I've found so far is sweetened with added sugar.
Thanks
shellycheval

Hi Shellycheval. I find Native Forest "Classic", unsweetened,organic ,coconut milk, classic at Shop Rite, Price Chopper,and Hannafords. Hannafords is the cheapest @ 2.49. The others sell it @3.99. Big difference in price when I buy a case or two at a time. They do carry the same brand in "Lite" but I go for the full fat!! ;D

The ingredients: Organic coconut milk,(organic coconut,water,organic guar gum).

Hi Nienna. It`s good to know Amazon carries it. I don`t know how much shipping would be on something like that? Good to know though.

I`d be willing to ship some to anyone who would like to try it, if that`s possible. There really is a difference from brand to brand. I`v tried many, even returned some to the store cause it just didn`t taste right. It didn`t have an expiration date on the can that you could understand. The manager at the store was even baffled. (And it said Organic on the can!). Native Forest always has a clear expiration date and usually good for a year and a half.

Laura said:
Excellent salmon yummy. Rather like our pate/fate mix: liver/bacon pate with added butter and lard rolled up in lettuce leaves.

I`v been thinking of making salmon and a dill sauce made with coconut cream. Your above salmon recipe sounds yummy. I`m getting lots of ideas! Thanks Laura and everyone!

Laura said:
Exactly. If I was gonna go over my preferred carb allowance, I want my whole daily requirement for fat in there! Basically what you get there is a measly 30 grams of fat with 12 carbs. And don't try to weasel on those carbs either!

:lol: OK, not weaseling out on the carbs. But if 4g of xylitol is treated the same as 4g of any other carb source, then what's the advantage of using xylitol? Why not just use sugar or maple syrup or honey? Am I missing something on the xylitol thing?

I think the advantage of xylitol is that the configuration of the molecule is different from others such a sucrose. The body doesn't need to up insulin levels to deal with it. That way insulin can do its other jobs rather than dealing with keeping blood sugar in a healthy range. Plus xylitol has some good effects on the composition of the gut flora. It seems to kill off unhealthy gut flora, which is why some folks get the runs for a while when they first switch to xylitol, though some folks simply can't handle it at all. You'll have to experiment.

Here's a good thread: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,29714.0.html

Exactly: what herondancer said. Xylitol carbs add up in terms of carb ALLOWANCES, though they don't trigger an insulin spike.

Laura said:
That sounds like something Ark used to make for himself; he calls it "kogel mogel" or something like that. The last time he tried it, it made him sick for two days.

Egg whites? No thanks.

I definitely wanna go off the whites from now on. I have a source for duck eggs, and yolk to albumin ratio is MUCH higher, and the yolks don't seem to get much smaller with the overall egg size either.

I'm curious though, what happens to all your leftover whites from the custards and shakes? I'd hate to just let them go to waste if I can help it.

Saieden said:
I definitely wanna go off the whites from now on. I have a source for duck eggs, and yolk to albumin ratio is MUCH higher, and the yolks don't seem to get much smaller with the overall egg size either.

I'm curious though, what happens to all your leftover whites from the custards and shakes? I'd hate to just let them go to waste if I can help it.

We've been freezing them since I can't bear to toss them out either. There is a bread recipe in the Paleo comfort foods recipe book that is made with nut flour and egg whites so I think when we have guests and need to serve bread, we'll use them that way.

Nancy2feathers said:
Laura said:

I`v been thinking of making salmon and a dill sauce made with coconut cream. Your above salmon recipe sounds yummy. I`m getting lots of ideas! Thanks Laura and everyone!

Wow, just caught up on this thread & looking forward to trying the recipes! I just have one hesitation with the salmon (& seafood in general)- is the contamination issue. And although wild is better than farmed salmon, I'm wary of serving Atlantic salmon if it's royally Fukushima'd... :D

Arwenn said:
Nancy2feathers said:
Laura said:

Wow, just caught up on this thread & looking forward to trying the recipes! I just have one hesitation with the salmon (& seafood in general)- is the contamination issue. And although wild is better than farmed salmon, I'm wary of serving Atlantic salmon if it's royally Fukushima'd... :D

I was checking out the salmon at the grocery store today. Most was wild Atlantic salmon. I just couldn`t bring myself to buy any! :scared: The salmon should be running in the rivers in up-state NY soon. I`m not sure about eating them either! I do enjoy it once in a great while.

Excellent book on Keto-adaptation though a couple of caveats I'll add below:

Keto-Adapted: Your guide to accelerated weight loss and healthy healing by maria emmerich.

http://www.amazon.com/Keto-Adapted-Maria-Emmerich-ebook/dp/B00GTU9AJC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397303333&sr=1-1&keywords=keto+adapted

Now, the caveats: She allows nightshades and some dairy things later on that we would not consider healthy. However, overall, it is an excellent book. She has recipes, too.

It's available in kindle so you can get some excellent info like right away!
[/quote]

Laura said:

Keto-Adapted: Your guide to accelerated weight loss and healthy healing by maria emmerich.

http://www.amazon.com/Keto-Adapted-Maria-Emmerich-ebook/dp/B00GTU9AJC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397303333&sr=1-1&keywords=keto+adapted

Now, the caveats: She allows nightshades and some dairy things later on that we would not consider healthy. However, overall, it is an excellent book. She has recipes, too.

Got it and she's got my attention with the kimchi, baconaise, seafood salad and the huevos rancheros... Hmmm. :P Despite the nightshades and dairy, sounds worthy as they can be substituted with other healthier foods. :clap:

Hi everyone,

could somebody please post a simple receipt for self-made chocolate? I can't manage to get it done myself

Many Thanks :)

Gaby said:
Laura said:

Got it and she's got my attention with the kimchi, baconaise, seafood salad and the huevos rancheros... Hmmm. :P Despite the nightshades and dairy, sounds worthy as they can be substituted with other healthier foods. :clap:

Absolutely. As I continue through it, it is an invaluable guide for anyone attempting nutritional ketosis.

So peeps, if you want to do it, get this book.

Back
Top Bottom