Kassiopaea Karaoke

Laura said:
sToRmR1dR said:
Buddy said:
This thread is getting heavy with video embeds, so, in case this is noise, I'll just ask:

Any place for ABBA in this scheme? I really like their "Take a chance on me."

I really like their "The winner takes it all". :)

Yeah. Very philosophical song. I like ABBA and I don't care what anybody says!

I got yer back on that! :lol:

Laura said:
sToRmR1dR said:
Buddy said:
This thread is getting heavy with video embeds, so, in case this is noise, I'll just ask:
Any place for ABBA in this scheme? I really like their "Take a chance on me."
I really like their "The winner takes it all". :)
Yeah. Very philosophical song. I like ABBA and I don't care what anybody says!

Well, apparently "anybody" here say "YES" to ABBA! Me too! So fun to sing. Karaoke wouldn't be the same without them.

But what about Queen? The show must definitely go on... ;)

Thank you for this thread and all the contributions, I spend over an hour listening to the songs, a very fine selection indeed! I feel better just listening to these songs :D

Speaking of ABBA, among my favorites is the one sang by Nana Moushouri I have a Dream, Fernando,

and Slipping Through my Fingers

And a song that I would really like to know how to sing one day: Landslide

The Dixie Chicks version is also very good.

And to add another Greek song - from Odysseas Elytis' epic poem Axion Esti (Worthy it is) for which Hatzidakis wrote music, this beautiful part titled Notional Sun of Justice that talks of justice and homeland (with english subs)

Somehow we've gone from simple melodies that can be sung in choral groups to fancier and fancier and harder to sing.

Like I said, I'm gonna put a songbook together and not everything shared in this thread is gonna make the cut! We need to evaluate these songs without emotional attachment. How easy are they for the most unskilled to sing? How fancy can they get with skilled singers? We need to be selecting music while fully practicing external considering.

NormaRegula said:
One of my favorite folk hymns is "Poor Wayfaring Stranger". I hum/sing it now and then when I'm feeling melancholy. By the end I feel much lighter.

I definitely second "Wayfaring Stranger". I remember singing it in junior high, and really getting into it:

I'm just a poor wayfarin' stranger,
While travelin' through this world below.
Yet there's no sickness, no toil, nor danger,
In that bright land to which I go.
I'm goin' there to see my Father.
And all my loved ones who've gone on.
I'm just goin' over Jordan.
I'm just goin' over home.

I know dark clouds will gather 'round me,
I know my way is hard and steep.
But beauteous fields arise before me,
Where God's redeemed, their vigils keep.
I'm goin' there to see my Mother.
She said she'd meet me when I come.
So, I'm just goin' over Jordan.

I'm just goin' over Jordan.

EmmyLou Harris has a good version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7kZrssy7KQ

So does Johnny Cash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIlbZAP8ASQ

It seems pretty darn appropriate to me, and easy to sing.

For groups an Old Irish Blessing would be really fun too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti3EWCbtZGk

Old Irish Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

May God be with you and bless you:
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home
And may the hand of a friend always be near.

May green be the grass you walk on,
May blue be the skies above you,
May pure be the joys that surround you,
May true be the hearts that love you.

Aragorn said:
2) Superb singing that gives both the listener and the singer therapeutic satisfaction, with conveying and inducing emotions always comes from the participation of the "emotional center" (not necessarily in Gurdjieffian terms). Which in practical terms means activity of the muscles in the body that become active when feeling strong emotions, to put it simple, the muscles that you use when you cry or laugh. If the singing is just technical, without "visceral activity", it's, to put it bluntly, just organized noise. That is also why singing can be very good for you, since for satisfying results, you need to develop your body-emotional awareness, e.g. through body work and breathing exercises (like EE). And, it works both ways: if you can induce emotions while you sing, those "visceral muscles" will become active / if you consciously activate those muscles, the emotions will more easily be freed up and come to the suface.

Find this topic really interesting..the idea that singing can be therapeutic and serve as a healing modality especially in a group like setting as in a choir.

I've been taking voice lessons the past year or so and it does seem to really help at times with energy and mood. Warm up exercises and singing really seem to highlight where in the body I'm tense, how I'm breathing and how critical of myself I can be about technique and quality of sound. Notice it helps to tell my teacher when this happens, tends to curb the train of thought and I'll work on relaxing wherever there's tension. Trying to remember to have fun with it helps too of course!

About breathing…I find breathing correctly with the diaphragm challenging. Thinking this might take awhile to grasp. Have thought that practicing EE could also help a lot with this.

Notice I'm starting to like and appreciate folk songs more, since attempting to learn how to sing a few. The folk song I was practicing earlier this year was 'Danny Boy.' Anyway, looking forward to checking out others videos linked to here.

Laura said:
Somehow we've gone from simple melodies that can be sung in choral groups to fancier and fancier and harder to sing.

Like I said, I'm gonna put a songbook together and not everything shared in this thread is gonna make the cut! We need to evaluate these songs without emotional attachment. How easy are they for the most unskilled to sing? How fancy can they get with skilled singers? We need to be selecting music while fully practicing external considering.

Well, I'm in that category.

Great Picks everyone! Been in and out of Bands my whole life and more than once I've experienced a weird out of body type feeling, it would only happen when the band was in perfect harmony…. It would take my breath away!

Not sure if this really fits in here as it's more Chanting than singing so please remove if it doesn't fit this thread...

Interesting Group of Monks though none the less...

http://www.gyuto.va.com.au/monks/ritual/chanting.html

Yuto Monks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFkSVLCRzvk

Seems like the Vegas Nerve would love these guys...

:headbanger:

Thanks All!!!

Gandalf said:
Laura said:

Well, I'm in that category.

Same here. Years ago I was told my voice originates deep in my throat and that's why it tires so easily. They said I should try to project my voice from higher up, like from the mouth or the front of it and to use my lower jaw more to shape my words. Anyway, I've never been able to make it a habit, so maybe I won't be singing in front of people after all. I just got caught up in the excitement, I guess.

Whoa! Had the chorus thing in mind since I was singing with a local choir. Did it for 2 years or so, and it was just great. I remember the first day I was in it, how fantastic it sounded into that room, it was very liberating. I was there voicing low tones, notes and hums, pretty difficult BTW, as it was all about operas and classical repertoire.

I'm not an ABBA fan, but I keep listening to them bit and pieces in many different places. They're pretty 'universal' and widely known and their sound could be a good catch for anyone.

WIN 52 said:
Sorry, I tried to bring a quote from the February 6, 2016 session, page 23, by "Miss T", but my little android just locked up. Any way, there was a section about toning using vowels in there that struck a chord with me.

A couple of years ago my ex and I went into an art gallery in Combs, BC. There was an elderly Scottish lady looking after the shop. She asked me to tone with her. I wasn't sure what to do so my ex wife started us off with an Eeeeeee. We picked up the tone and carried it for quite some time. My ex, Sandra, quit after a short time but we carried on. Our voices began to modulate with vibrato. It was quite a spiritual experience. Sandra said that it was the most beautiful sound she had ever heard, like a whole choir of Angels.

Don't get me wrong as I am a karaoke king. Quite often when I sing, I go into what I call a dream walk where I seem to be living in the song. I always get ovations when I sing in public and I go to that place. I can never seem to be able to get through Puff the Magic Dragon without breaking into tears, however!

Not everyone is good at singing songs without lots of practice. Possibly by starting simple using a tone as a group, where it would be easier for the group to find harmony, might be a good place to start.
It was the February 6, 2016 session, post #282, February 24 by JeanneT, page 19. I was flustered by the lock up, sorry!

John Denver - Annie's Song
Fleetwood Mac - Landslide
Mark Knopfler - I Dug Up a Diamond

Maybe some Pink Floyd and Neil Young.

Reactions: Meg
Back
Top Bottom