Is it too late to start a university degree? And is there any point?

Keyhole

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
Hello all, I am posting on this section because I could not find any other section more relevant, as this is one of the things that has been on my mind for a few days.

Last month I started working in a warehouse full time on the night shift which is 10pm until 6am (they could not offer any other shift). The job basically consists of moving up and down aisles scanning different items with a handhold RF scanning device. This device is hooked up to WiFi, is with me at all times and it is starting to give me headaches. It has only been three weeks and I am already starting to feel the effects, I feel like I can no longer think and i am not using my brain.

My original idea was never to study at university, I went backpacking instead. Here was the time that I started to read The Wave books and after reading the series and some other books on the reading list, I interpreted the 'Wave' as a sort of 'get out' from ordinary life.

Everything was planned in my mind- I would have an average warehouse job, I would read my books, Work as much as I was able and not bother making any long term plans because soon enough we may be faced with comets, an ice age and any other form of cataclysmic activity - "Live for the moment"! I am now starting to question the way I had previously thought... Perhaps if these things on planet earth don't happen as soon as I have expected - Will I still be working in a warehouse? It is almost as if I have lost all motivation to plan ahead for anything.

After reading some of the psychology books, I have been considering studying Psychology at degree level from home with the 'Open University'.
One 'I' is saying that I SHOULD do the degree because of how much it interests me and that I could actually HELP people, it is a formal qualification which may provide a true career opportunity where I can incorporate my own Work into this.
Yet another 'I' is saying that there is no point studying at university because soon enough everything will collapse, people will die and what I should be doing is preparing in every way that I can - NOT planning ahead for the future.

The C's have said that there is not one set future, but that there are infinite possibilities. It feels like I am in 'No-mans land' unsure where to go from here. Is it worth dedicating three years+ to a university course when "something wicked this way comes"? Has anyone else had similar feelings with regards to lacking motivation or been in a similar situation?

Keyhole said:
After reading some of the psychology books, I have been considering studying Psychology at degree level from home with the 'Open University'.
One 'I' is saying that I SHOULD do the degree because of how much it interests me and that I could actually HELP people, it is a formal qualification which may provide a true career opportunity where I can incorporate my own Work into this.
Yet another 'I' is saying that there is no point studying at university because soon enough everything will collapse, people will die and what I should be doing is preparing in every way that I can - NOT planning ahead for the future.

The C's have said that there is not one set future, but that there are infinite possibilities. It feels like I am in 'No-mans land' unsure where to go from here. Is it worth dedicating three years+ to a university course when "something wicked this way comes"? Has anyone else had similar feelings with regards to lacking motivation or been in a similar situation?

Yes, I think many people have been in the same situation and also wonder what can they do and how to prepare for the future calamities. And in my opinion (and also paraphrasing the C's), it doesn't matter where you are or what your do, occupation wise, but who you are. How strong willed, disciplined and adaptive you are to any possible and chaotic changes that may come. That's basically the key of evolution, personal or as a species. Making yourself useful to the Universe, but first of all - useful to yourself. Meaning, that if you have something in you, any inclination or a talent for something, or maybe you just want to learn and expend yourself, then the best thing you can do is to go in this direction, and by this send a message to the Universe that you are honoring its gift of life and ability to learn.

Maybe it sounds kitschy, but it's in fact very practical. If you don't progress, you digress, and what can be better than learning new skills, doesn't matter how much time you have. Maybe you won't be able to finish the degree, but still, you may learn something that will be useful and helpful to other people. From a personal experience, studying at University provides you with many opportunities to develop discipline, especially when you have to study something you find boring or useless! Studying at home also has its challenges, since you need to discipline yourself and not get distracted by myriad other things.

All in all, future possible collapses should never be an obstacle, doesn't matter how stressful situation may be. Highly stressful environment in such case can be actually a blessing! Maybe read the following thread, especially the last posts to see how it may be related. Hope it helps.

Personally, i don't feel there is anything wrong with going to school to learn psychology if you feel you need a structured place to do it; Although I think with application that one could learn much more just from the content of this forum. As for using it as a means to a career, I would think that working towards some type of goal such as this is a beneficial thing. The only thing i would worry about , depending on where you are from, is if things go south very fast, will you be held hostage to your debt?

EDIT: This article may help you with your decision. http://www.sott.net/article/276732-The-impossibility-of-working-your-way-through-college

I would strongly encourage you to do what you feel is good for you AND the future. Giving up and giving in is not what we are about and if you have watched the Knowledge and Being videos, you'll know that you might end up in a different reality not only by taking certain steps, but where those steps lead to a different reality in and of themselves (if that makes sense).

Keyhole said:

The C's have said that there is not one set future, but that there are infinite possibilities. It feels like I am in 'No-mans land' unsure where to go from here. Is it worth dedicating three years+ to a university course when "something wicked this way comes"?

I think your answer is in your own post. :) It would be different if you wanted to do something to go back to sleep, to escape pain, or any other way of evading reality. But if the process of studying helps you grow, then it is good! It doesn't really matter whether in the end you don't get enough "time" to graduate. It could be the best decision you make in terms of preparing for the future. Because that involves improving oneself, wanting to help others, being active in life, all the while watching the signs. You could live like a survivalist, thinking you are prepared for any eventuality and for "the end of the world", but if there is no Will power, no knowledge behind that, and no "pay" for the Universe, then why would the Universe want to preserve you? (I mean "you" in the general sense). Is what you are doing now the best you can do, are you doing your best to engage with life, to not only observe but also act based on that knowledge? That never means just "waiting for the end".

Perhaps this quote from Ark can also help:

So, I suggest, forget all your "I should", and replace it by "I ALWAYS WANTED...". It may take
a while for you to specify what it is that you "always wanted", but, on the other hand, perhaps you
know it right away.

FORGET "I should", forget it all. Replace it by "I LOVE TO DO ...." and skip completely the TIME issue.

If you need five lives to accomplish what you WANT, let this be the first of those five. And then, without any "time obligation"
or "should stressing" - start it.

First step first. And ENJOY it. And LOVE yourself - take care of yourself.

This is the only thing that the Universe (God?) wants from you, I think.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, going to college has so far (I'm almost 2/3 of the way into the program) helped me to evolve/grow quite a lot. It has helped me to learn and recognize my abilities as well as to use and develop them. It has helped me to become organized, structured and disciplined which were traits that were nonexistent in my ''previous life''. It has also helped me to develop social and professional skills and in the end, helped to gain a lot of self-confidence. I also really enjoy going to school which puts me in an situation where I feel better able to work on myself since I don't have to deal with the kind of stressful situations I had to in the past. I also really enjoy helping others who have a harder time with their studies. After doing so for a while, I have even been offered a part-time job as an official helper by my school which I gratefully accepted.

So in all, I think that it can be a great and positive experience. If that's what you love and want to do, then I say go for it. :)

I have a separate question. What does the yellow question mark in a circle symbol mean?

davey72 said:
I have a separate question. What does the yellow question mark in a circle symbol mean?

When you make a thread or a reply, immediately below the "Subject" field, you have a "Message icon" field. The latter can be used (though people usually don't bother) to choose between a variety of icons, such as the standard one (sheet of paper) or the one Keyhole chose. So, it's simply the choice of the poster.

Incidentally, today I read the following interview of Dr. Andy Roark, a very passionate, compassionate, and funny veterinarian. In the interview he shares stories and insights that I think could be also helpful in this case, or to anyone who is looking to not only do something they love, but also help people.
_http://catalystvets.com/an-interview-with-an-inspirational-servant-leader-dr-andy-roark/

Hello,
I began learning about subjects similar to those discussed in this website back in 60's, a lot of it clicked and made sense. So much so that I expected cataclysmic changes back in the 80 and 90's but nothing big happened. I am glad I did go to the U anyway.

I got to meet interesting people, make friends and learn new things, I still think big changes are coming

Prepare for the now as well as the immediate and the probable future

I think the question we may ask ourselves when taking decisions is whether it serves our aim in life, regardless of what may or may not happen. The fourth way is about working on ourselves within the framework of an active participation in life. Every opportunity to learn and to experience is a contribution not only to our own development, but also to the information flow in the universe (however small we may perceive it). If we were to be passive and waiting for things to happen, we would be all living in trees near a river. That's not how it works. If going to the university gives a chance to learn and grow (through self-dicipline, social interaction and yes, conflicts sometimes) then maybe it's one way among probably many others to engage in life and participate in the life of the universe. OSIT

The original post and several of the responses really resonate with me. I had spent an awful lot of time just worrying about everything, and it kept me completely immobile and not really participating in life, although I was blind to it for a long time.

My opinion, after going through a lot of upheaval and eventually starting a brand new course in several aspects of my own life, is that we absolutely cannot wait around for whatever is going to happen. In certain contexts, even this wonderful work here can be used as the wrong kind of escape, one that leads to inaction rather than action. I won't dwell on myself here as this is your thread Keyhole, but I believe that if you feel a drive, have a passion, and there is a possibility of some good, then it is worth doing. Do not worry about the "time" factor. Acknowledging potential (or even highly probable) catastrophe should not deter one from truly contributing to life.

This is not to say you are not participating/contributing now, of course. I am simply saying that I have found that using those kinds of things as reasons NOT to DO actually end up being more entropic than merely practical because they are based too much in fear and anticipation of specific outcomes. Just do what you love and try to enjoy the journey maybe without worrying so much where you will end up. Easier said than done, but those are my 2 cents, for what it's worth. :)

Chu said:
Keyhole said:

The C's have said that there is not one set future, but that there are infinite possibilities. It feels like I am in 'No-mans land' unsure where to go from here. Is it worth dedicating three years+ to a university course when "something wicked this way comes"?

I think your answer is in your own post. :) It would be different if you wanted to do something to go back to sleep, to escape pain, or any other way of evading reality. But if the process of studying helps you grow, then it is good! It doesn't really matter whether in the end you don't get enough "time" to graduate. It could be the best decision you make in terms of preparing for the future. Because that involves improving oneself, wanting to help others, being active in life, all the while watching the signs. You could live like a survivalist, thinking you are prepared for any eventuality and for "the end of the world", but if there is no Will power, no knowledge behind that, and no "pay" for the Universe, then why would the Universe want to preserve you? (I mean "you" in the general sense). Is what you are doing now the best you can do, are you doing your best to engage with life, to not only observe but also act based on that knowledge? That never means just "waiting for the end".

Perhaps this quote from Ark can also help:

So, I suggest, forget all your "I should", and replace it by "I ALWAYS WANTED...". It may take
a while for you to specify what it is that you "always wanted", but, on the other hand, perhaps you
know it right away.

FORGET "I should", forget it all. Replace it by "I LOVE TO DO ...." and skip completely the TIME issue.

If you need five lives to accomplish what you WANT, let this be the first of those five. And then, without any "time obligation"
or "should stressing" - start it.

First step first. And ENJOY it. And LOVE yourself - take care of yourself.

This is the only thing that the Universe (God?) wants from you, I think.
Thank you, Chu. That was very enriching.
I have wondered this myself in several times. Why do something in these times?. For what? Know or believe that there is little time to big changes (which is likely that they bring death) reflects how miserable it can be the personality, in this case mine. Maybe, leaving a small legacy, if only to spread the truth among people interested, it helps to go beyond this personality that is identified with a physical body and a very short time of existence. So I think, Keyhole, that you must study psychology. And I say this for all here and for me: say yes to any project you undertake now that allows you to grow, learn, develop. It can be a career, or change jobs, or why not, a new love. Perhaps the intensity of these times make that saying yes to commit with a loving person (not saying complementary because that is very difficult) can become a huge adventure, simultaneously to the major changes we are experiencing. And a great love can break narcissism for love to the partner, and also break the obsession with the little time that remains. Also that romance to a lady can be expanded. The love for others in general, and love for all who ask. Perhaps Gurdjieff would say love to all who make the work. We living amazing times, and it is this generation that will see the end / beginning of the great cycle. It is a great joy from that perspective.
Thanks for all the answers, and to you Keyhole, for starting the thread.

Hello!
I was in a similar situation 7 years ago, and I went to college, although I spent all the money I've earned in the warehouse and had to take a loan in the bank. I didn't finish the college yet and I have the debt of over 10 000 Euros which I'm not paying back yet, and my accounts are blocked...
So my advice is: follow your heart and don't be lazy like me, work hard for what you think is worth working.

Back
Top Bottom