Interstellar

Divide By Zero said:
If he was the ghost of his daughter, the same ghost that said to stay, was it him that set up the dirt/sand to give the location of the secret mission that lead him in the first place?
Yes, I think he gave himself the location when he realized he was the ghost.

Divide By Zero said:
Spoiler alert:

After reading CNS's post on the movie I had a conundrum that came to mind.

If he was the ghost of his daughter, the same ghost that said to stay, was it him that set up the dirt/sand to give the location of the secret mission that lead him in the first place? It probably was the "higher power" that set up the wormhole in the first place, but I couldn't help but think about it because it wasn't certain.

Yeah, it wasn't explained in the movie, but I think you are right, it must have been the higher power folks that originally communicated via the dirt, but then again, they did show Cooper manipulating the dirt as well. So maybe the higher powers were using Cooper as a conduit of sorts. Really makes my mind buzz about time loops and so on, like...what came first: He and his daughter seeing the code in the dust, or Cooper being in the Tesseract?

hlat said:
CNS said:
The take home here is that we should listen to our women more, no matter how crazy they seem to our subjective little male minds.
Things that seem crazy may be warning signs that should not be disregarded. Instead, think about them and investigate what they might mean.

Hlat, thank you for that, you are right. In retrospect, maybe I should not have used the word 'Crazy', but explored the logic vs. intuition theme a little further. I really was speaking more in context of the movie, but crazy or out-of-the-ordinary events do pack a lot of information into a small package. I see your point.

hlat said:
Yes, I think he gave himself the location when he realized he was the ghost.
CNS said:
Yeah, it wasn't explained in the movie, but I think you are right, it must have been the higher power folks that originally communicated via the dirt, but then again, they did show Cooper manipulating the dirt as well. So maybe the higher powers were using Cooper as a conduit of sorts. Really makes my mind buzz about time loops and so on, like...what came first: He and his daughter seeing the code in the dust, or Cooper being in the Tesseract?

If that is the case (he sent coordinates), this gets even more confusing (if we don't assume he was a conduit but did it himself).

He sent the coordinates, but he also sent the message to his daughter (when she was young) to not go.
Perhaps the message not to go was to keep her on her toes for further messages?

This time travel business is really confusing to a 3d denizen such as myself :)

CNS said:
So maybe the higher powers were using Cooper as a conduit of sorts.

There were no "higher powers", just different dimensions/densities.

What happened was all orchestrated by Cooper in the future - maybe in 4th density
The tesseract was created by beings or even him? in an even higher dimension - maybe 6th density

In this respect he cannot be called a "ghost", but you probably mean ghostlike appearance?

This was the truly fascinating thing I thought, that there are no higher powers - just Us in the future - in different densities.

M.T.

Spoilers discussed:

CNS said:
Really makes my mind buzz about time loops and so on, like...what came first: He and his daughter seeing the code in the dust, or Cooper being in the Tesseract?

Yeah, it brings up the chicken and the egg question. But if everything is happening at once, then maybe they both happen at the "same time"? ;)

Divide By Zero said:
He sent the coordinates, but he also sent the message to his daughter (when she was young) to not go.

I don't recall fully the movie, but could the "stay" message have been for his daughter when she was older and looking at her bookshelf? I recall that was a critical moment and she almost left and didn't see the watch.

Minas Tirith said:
This was the truly fascinating thing I thought, that there are no higher powers - just Us in the future - in different densities.

That's an interesting thought. It's like the C's have said, that "magic" is just really advanced technology.

3D Student said:
Divide By Zero said:

I don't recall fully the movie, but could the "stay" message have been for his daughter when she was older and looking at her bookshelf? I recall that was a critical moment and she almost left and didn't see the watch.

First of all, all time travel movies make no sense. Doesn't mean they aren't fun, though! In this case, if I remember correctly, you have to pay attention to the sequence of messages he sends back in time while in the tesseract. He sends his "stay" messages before he sends the coordinates, even though that sequence is reversed in 'real' time or 'movie time'. At first he's distraught, and tries to get himself not to go. Then he realizes he HAS to go, and sends the coordinates to himself to get it all started. Like I said, it's not logical, but it makes 'movie' sense (i.e., emotional). I'd have to watch it again to be sure, but that's how I remember it happening.

First of all, all time travel movies make no sense. Doesn't mean they aren't fun, though! In this case, if I remember correctly, you have to pay attention to the sequence of messages he sends back in time while in the tesseract. He sends his "stay" messages before he sends the coordinates, even though that sequence is reversed in 'real' time or 'movie time'. At first he's distraught, and tries to get himself not to go. Then he realizes he HAS to go, and sends the coordinates to himself to get it all started. Like I said, it's not logical, but it makes 'movie' sense (i.e., emotional). I'd have to watch it again to be sure, but that's how I remember it happening.
To stay seems like a paradox, because he must have gone, or he wouldn't have been able to send the message to stay.

But maybe he could stay, and would then live his life in, let us call it, Universe B, driving around in his ute on Earth. In Universe A, he goes and sends the message back to himself. Then if he reads the message and does stay, he goes into Universe B. From the perspective of his life in Universe B, he would have received a message from the future in a parallel universe (Universe A), rather than from the future of Universe B.

Attachments

• interstellar.jpg
    interstellar.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 250
dugdeep said:
Well put, AI.

I saw the movie a couple of days ago and also really enjoyed it. I was surprised at the number of concepts from the C's that were illustrated on the big screen. I was thinking about the idea of whether or not the filmmakers were some how keyed in to what the C's have been disseminating, but I think it may be more subtle than that. I think it just represents the current thinking in science, specifically the characteristics of higher densities. It may be that this channel, and the work done here, has brought more truth into the collective unconscious, for lack of a better term, and the filmmakers are simply tuned in to the latest research.

That said, I thought the scene where McConaughey's character entered the black hole was truly jaw-dropping. Probably the best 3D beings like us can conceptualize 4D, and to see it illustrated on film was really inspiring! I also really liked the concept that love is a very real force in the universe and that, at our level, we can't really have much more than a glimpse of it. I'd never thought about it in the way that the film portrayed it and it has sent my brain in many different directions as a result. That's the most I can ask for in a movie. Big thumbs up!

Fully agreed dugdeep :)

I too was suprised at the number of concepts from C's depicted in this film. Significant moment for me was the communication between Cooper's future self and the present through the tesseract - where the moment/place of communication was the at the library through books dropping. This symbolised to me the important of Knowledge another key concept from the C's

Odyssey said:
axj said:
I wonder how much the lack of space travel lately is due to some "powers" (4D/3D) not wanting people to go to certain places.

I've wondered the same thing. Biologically, humans are not fit for space travel and it's only with super efforts that humans can even be on a space station without becoming debilitated or dying (or blowing up on the way there). Whether it's a lack of mastery of physics and space/time on the part of humans or it's a cosmic mandate of "thou shall not escape this prison planet" played out through our biology is an interesting question.

I think its more a combination of 4D STS with the mandate "thou shall not escape this prison planet" - and the changes they made to our DNA.

Even with current biological limitations - I recall a C's session where they mention it was possible for humans to travel long distances in space, by building massive ark like spaceships that can travel great distances with humans living in them for long periods/generations or in "extended Sleep" ( cant remember the exact words and session date )similar to the movie. Maybe im wrong, apologies if i am on this point.

I found this movie interesting because of it's allusion to gravity being the solution to space travel. This, in light of the C's mentioning of "unstable gravity waves." Also, it seemed to touch on the "we are YOU communicating from the future" theme, as the "ghost" in the daughter's room was actually her father (even before he left Earth) trying to communicate to her from another location in time/space, due to the gravitational influence and temporal distortion from his being in close proximity to a black hole. I found it pretty fascinating.

Looks like a must for a weekend viewiing. Should be interesting as a friend of mine had been quite negative about the film.

I saw it last week and liked it... free on demand viewing for the day of course and that was the last day, use it or lose it. :scared:
Acting, directing etc was very good, though I really can't say much for some of the science aspects, such as picking astronaunt candidates for their solo/suicide missions as that sounds like a job for a probe and all that tech and they don't have enough or the ability to send some out? And the ones they pick don't seem up to the job of going solo in space, not to mention sending out fake reports on that last planet Matt Dimon was on, who tried to kill McConnolly when they went out to look at the supposed lower level, again no probes, no data check beforehand? That signals weakness in the script, and there were a number of these problems, but the acting was very good so it didn't bother me much, and there were many concepts/plotlines borrowed from various other scifi projects, but then that's always the case when similar ideas/lines of thought are being explored.... Matrix as a prime example of 'borrowing' from so many different sources that it's hard to sue them for it. It seems that again there is that goal of avoiding dealing with aspects of consciousness outside of linearity/unidimensionality etc., but that could be due to so much 'borrowing', which usually degrades the concept instead of improving upon it. Someone in another post on Matrix made mention of that earlier German project from the 70s, which was essentially the first two plotlines of the Matrix films.

Oh well.... liked the film, just wished the script was finished off better.... how about that first planet they land on... don't they scout the place first to notice that the horizon is a wall of water coming at them? Where is the science in that? Made a nice bit of drama of course, but seemed like a design concept in the script to kill off one member of their crew at a time utilizing the classic ticking time bomb technique....
'and then there was one'...

Still a nice view... do sort of wonder why they are still growing all that corn, is it really the best they can do out there with limited resources? Oh well, still found it entertaining, though not worth repeat viewing.

gdpetti said:
how about that first planet they land on... don't they scout the place first to notice that the horizon is a wall of water coming at them? Where is the science in that?

I think the issue was that when they go to the surface they are "burning through" much time on earth so from that point of view they were in a hurry. Remember when they returned how one of the crew members was much older?

Really enjoyed this movie myself. Was able to see it in Imax. In typical Nolan style there were some deafening moments from an auditory point of view.
For a movie to convey so many complex subjects, I thought it was well done and...I really want a TARS ;-)

The movie made me cry, and for the first time in my life I actually wanted children. That, in and of itself, really blew my mind. The emotions evoked were unexpected... an incredible understatement. Like I didn't understand the bond between parent and child, not viscerally, emotionally. I had a completely logical understanding but something about the film tinkered with my insides, jumbled up the pieces and let them reassort based on the pattern in the film. I think I get it now, which is incredibly rewarding and also immensely painful.

Strange to have such a reaction to a movie, or perhaps not so.

Back
Top Bottom