Inside the Laurel Canyon...

I noticed that Dave McGowan's stuff is posted online again. It was unavailable (to my searching) after he died.

I reread this whole LC affair from I to XXII (as some parts were missed), so a couple of things were noted and are fresh of mind. Actually, this whole affair that Mr. McCowan had brought to the table is so convoluted that where do you go with it exactly? Anyway, the thread above jumped from 2014 to 2017 leaving out that Dave had died, other than the mention above, in fact he died on November 22, 2015, which of course is the anniversary date from when John F. Kennedy was murdered in cold blood for all the world to see - politically it has been downhill since, as people know.

As for this story of Dave’s, one of the sore points might be in the reliance upon the rumor mill – the he said/she said thing in parts of it, and a lot of throwing around of names, not least was the lack of citations (online reading anyway and his book may prove otherwise). Did Dave tell an interesting story? For some, it seemed so. Is it the whole story, not likely, and the whole story is not likely to be reconstructed.

Now for some of the other points there were many known and less known characters and family lineages, and as Dave had reminded, a whole lot of people were dying, either by killing themselves or being killed in nefarious ways or in accidents. For many people reading, some of these characters might mean very little, and for others, they certainly helped shape those times in their lives - in their youth, and those memories may be prevalent today. So, it is especially strange if the story is even partially true, and if more so, as Dave suggests, then what was experience in the fallout can be pretty crushing, like, we’ve been had and put to sleep again – big time. One might also consider the world outside LC played a far more significant part, however if LC was the desired scene, then as is said, there is a program for that.

With all this data and what may lack, it is near impossible to know who was on first, second and third, and yet many here know how things can operate (COINTELPRO-wize etc), which Laura noted back in a 2014 post above, so this was in mind going through it again. In this, there were many interesting points, yet a few in particular where noted below from this reading - and its long and not all exactly related or major, or maybe some is.

Now Dave brings up the military draft, or more so, the ability of many who shuffled through the LC scene in avoiding the draft altogether, without consequences. Very possibly, those who avoided had help for many of the reasons that McGowan states, such as the big business of it all, and yet was that scene in the big picture all that significant? I don't know, yet one thing, or two things really, seem interrelated when reading elsewhere (yet not exactly directly related to LC) as my thoughts turned to LBJ, particularly in regard to the LBJ and McNamara show regarding the draft.

Dave kept bringing up (as was pointed out to him), using the words ‘I digress,’ so it applies here for the next bit:

Now a few years ago while reading a memo regarding LBJ and Sorensen (see below) just months before JFK would be taken out (LBJ probably had some sort of starring role as one of the benefactors), a few things came up. Originally it was to be posted eleswhere, yet forgot about it until another article below came up (and the rereading the LC story). Now there are many documents within the John F Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum, and just this one Dictaphone transcription (will call it a memo) that centers around Civil Rights seen through the mental lens of LBJ – Civil Rights being the policy of what JFK was moving forward on, and it’s well known that LBJ in the past was a voting segregationist. Here, however, LBJ seems to have taken over the leg-work as this memo seems to indicate, and strange was LBJ's discourse that had what looked like a side aim in sync with McNamara's later ‘Hundred Thousand’ program. I'll get to this program below, yet some may know it, and thus this appears to have been on LBJ’s mind rather than being completely about Civil Rights – although he championed it, as the narrative goes, to stop various agitations that were obviously brewing and taking place. Given LBJ's track record, he needed calm because he was about to let loose a shit-storm that lives on to this day. Could be mistaken here, yet let’s see.

So, as said, the memo dates five months before JFK was taken out, and in the memo Vietnam was clearly on his mind and he was more than likely talking about it not just with Sorensen (in the memo he keeps bringing up the usual arms manufactures – semi related to civil rights (job-wise) he indicates, yet one might see there was more going on), and if there was talk, there was probably some deep logistics for shifting the war footing to the offensive that would be green lighted when the rifles rang out in Dallas. If this other side of the memo has any validity, that means that LBJ had an eye on needing bodies of all color to meet future recruiting projections for boots on the ground in Vietnam in a timetable that was in countdown mode. Legislation could help, as the gears were moving and only JFK stood in the way. Perhaps, the LC scene was also needed – program wise, as McGowan does bring up the main Vietnam protester voices at the beginning being replaced/diverted.

Bear with me here further:

In a Gilad Atzmon article September 24, 2019, he writes (introduces) 'McNamara's Folly: The Use of Low-IQ Troops in the Vietnam'

It’s a short read with a video featuring Hamilton Gregory, who authored the book of the same name above discussing McNamara’s role (and I’ll bring up LBJ later):

...The Use of Low-IQ Troops in the Vietnam." Because so many college students were avoiding military service during the Vietnam War, Defense Secretary Robert McNamara lowered mental standards to induct 354,000 low-IQ men. They were known as McNamara's "Moron Corps.” Their death toll in combat was appalling. Gregory indicates at the end of his talk that the situation didn’t really change. The same practice is taking place nowadays.

You can hear Gregory make the case, and he does it well, imo, so it is recommended if not known to people, and if nothing else is read here, his words should be heard.

Back to McGowan, he said:

Hundreds of thousands of young men from all across the country were swept up and fed into the war machine, but not one of the musical icons of the Woodstock generation was among them. How could that be? Should we just consider that to be another one of those great serendipities? Was it mere luck that kept all the Laurel Canyon stars out of jail and out of the military during the turbulent decade that was the 1960s?

Not likely. The reality is that 'The Establishment,' as it was known in those days, had the power to prevent the musical icons of the 1960s from ever becoming the megastars that they became. The state, aka corporate America, could quite easily have prevented the entire countercultural movement from ever really getting off the ground -because then, as now, the state controlled the channels of communication.

A real grass-roots cultural revolution would probably have involved a bunch of starving musicians barely scratching out a living playing tiny coffee shops in the hopes of maybe someday landing a record deal with some tiny, local independent label and then, just maybe, if they got really lucky, getting a little airplay on some obscure college radio stations. But that's not how the '60s folk-rock 'revolution' played out. Not by any stretch of the imagination
[...]
The question that is begged by that explanation, however, is why, after it had become abundantly clear that a monster had allegedly been created, was nothing done to stop the growth of that monster? Why did the state not utilize its law enforcement and criminal justice powers to silence some of the most prominent countercultural voices? And why did the draft board -in every known case, without exception -allow those same voices to skip out on their military service?

It's not as if the state would have had to resort to heavy-handed measures to silence these allegedly troublesome voices. Being that the vast majority of them were draft-age males who were openly using and/or advocating the use of illegal substances, they were practically begging for the powers-that-be to take action. And yet that never happened.

“Without exception” may be argued, yet Jim Morrison’s dad may have had some influence or not, as other dad’s or business tycoons and intelligence operations may have intervened. Clearly, McNamara’s ‘Hundred Thousand’ program could round up troops, so just how far the drag-net was thrown, or when the draft could be retracted in certain situations, becomes part of it.

So, does McGowan make a case, was he totally accurate? Again, I don't know. However, in light of what McNamara was gunning for and obviously what LBJ supplied – and the people through him once Kennedy was out of the way, perhaps indeed they became not so concerned with the LC group Dave is talking about? If Dave was correct, then the groups at LC could be unconsciously setting up a generation for diversion (drugs being one aspect), and limiting discourse about the war (although it was there yet somewhat absent in Dave’s telling).

The first time I met Vietnam draft dodgers, it was on the top (within the Appalachian Mountain Hut system) of Mount Washington, New Hampshire. I'm not American and was then not of age, yet at the time they were overheard to say we can’t go down from this mountain, which lead to questions. Later, most who had abstained from the draft that I came to know had moved up to Canada and either married there or otherwise melted into life there (and many never left). I had a American friend (mother was Canadian) who worked with me for a number of years and was drafted, having spent time directing aircraft at the Da Nang Air Base; eventually going AWOL on account of the revolving door of arms that got blown up in the adjacent fields if not used by the end of the week, or used by Sunday type of thing, which resulted in new arms shipments dispatched from American suppliers to replace them – it was too much for him, and it's understandable.

Now Dave tries to also make the case that those in Laurel Canyon who wrote, spoke or sang, did so against the draft dodgers - in a negative sense, which was at odds with the general flower power peace movement, faux or otherwise in Dave’s telling. If the results of what McGowan was saying were true, it did not appear that way, at least from my side of the frequency fence as that war had been then and remained negatively on people’s minds. Yet maybe at those crucial points post November 22, 1963 up to 1969, there were elements of a COINTELPRO deeply at work, or at least it was one of many operations that Dave cites.

Back to LBJ:

The second thing about this came from LBJ himself – as said above before his boss was murdered. In the Edison Dictaphone memo recorded June 3rd, 1963 within the John F. Kennedy Library you can read the 53 pages of the Sorensen/LBJ conversation in the transcript. This document, apparently, was added to the JFK Library from the LBJ Library, 6 November 1980 (regarding said Civil Rights legislation). Interestingly, aside from some other correspondence in the archived library attributed to LBJ (mostly on the moon program with his insistence of a 'military' angle for JFK - a military angle is typical for LBJ in fact), this was the only memo found that centered on Civil Rights which was overflowing with other nuances.

Here is one interesting discussion sample, and you get to see how LBJ operates – his non-stop talking with Sorensen barely getting a word in otherwise.

Sample (screen shot):

1576472516211.png
In the transcripts you can see many pages marked up, like the above, and that is how they were archived, and who ever marked them, seemed to have focused on some words or points.

Now in Tape 2 of 2 (LBJ to Sorensen), LBJ’s opening few words seem to very subtly poke at the president (actually, you might pick up his arrogance, his superiorness to that of JFK - and obviously to that of his brother), JFK. If there were behind the scenes work going on, then these were part of the new alignments for the escalation of the war to come - a big war in the making with a big payoff to the plotters and planners. So, one can conclude it all became reality before JFK's blood had even dried with LBJ's 180 degree quick reversal (JFK's) NSAM-263 for his own NSAM - 273. Thus LBJ seemed to be in a planning stages, likely with McNamara and others. For instance, the tape carries on a few paragraphs later after some gushing to Sorensen of JFK's appeal:

"He [JFK] sent these boys to Vietnam, and he didn't say pick out whites and say whites only. I'm telling you [to Sorensen] they'd be out there by the hundreds of thousands"

as seen above.

In 1963 there were something like 16,000 US ‘advisors’ in Vietnam, and in 1964 after JFK and the Gulf of Tonkin (that’s Jim Morrison’s dad’s big day) it jumped to over 180,000. So, it was this 'hundreds of thousands' that rang a bell as this is the term the "Hundred Thousand" program that McNamara would use, and LBJ would hint at, or was it just a figure of speech, in the 1963 memo.

wiki said:
The Vietnam War saw many great accomplishments by many African Americans, including twenty who received the Medal of Honor for their actions. African Americans were over-represented in hazardous duty and combat roles during the conflict, and suffered disproportionately higher casualty rates. Civil-rights leaders protested this disparity during the early years of the war, prompting reforms that were implemented in 1967–68 resulting in the casualty rate dropping to slightly higher than their percentage of the total population.

Anyway, it seems to mesh with what Gregory was talking about, they needed more numbers, they knew people would opt out as word came back from the advisors (et cetera), and they were taking black/white/hispanic’s from wherever they could get them - and as you can see, African Americans "were over represented...and suffered disproportionately". One might wonder, because Gregory does not say (without reading his book) what the race demographics were in these numbers (5,000 + deaths in the McNamara program and much greater in serious lifelong injuries and amputations).

Okay, leaving the draft alone, just a couple of other things that McGowan mentions (not sure why I'm bring it up, yet it was there).

McGowan weaves the name of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, very briefly, into the story. He relates Doyle to Harry Houdini:

Houdini had a number of friends in the spiritualist movement, most notably and prominently Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, creator of fictional detective Sherlock Holmes and possible perpetrator of the infamous Piltdown Hoax of 1912. Both Doyle and Houdini were also had connections to Le Roi and Margery Crandon, and that is where this story takes a decidedly dark turn.

McGown never brings Doyle’s name up again, and yet he said ‘possible’ in connected with the Piltdown archeology hoax, and not knowing all of the details, decided to look it up. You can hear a most interesting talk by Dr. Joseph Weiner who was at the forefront unraveling the hoax in 1953, as he in fact plays I kind of ‘Agatha Christie’ role to expose Charles Dawson’s role – this is presented in a 1:35 hour lecture, and in it Sir Arthur Conan Doyle never comes up either, although Teilhard de Chardin does, and in this attached article (with the full audio lecture) Doyle was mentioned as a suspect and then it says “Now, more than 100 years later, scientists have narrowed the suspects down to a single culprit,” which was Dawson himself, and in the lecture Weiner goes on the explain the evidence.

To cross reference what exactly the reason Doyle was allegedly said to have been a part of in this Piltdown hoax, it seems to be build on the fact that scientist had put Doyle down for his spiritual connections and Doyle, in his book ‘The Lost World’ (“published in 1912, the year that Piltdown Man was announced as the missing link”) wrote, “a bone can be faked as easily as a photograph”’ and that was the rational, aside from Doyle living near the Piltdown site #1 (no one ever knew where site #2 was located).

Well if Doyle did play a role, he sure messed up the scientists for forty years, however Dr. Joseph Weiner puts it to rest with his learned discourse on the subject.

The rest of McGowan’s discussion here centers on Houdini’s connections to intelligence et cetera et cetera, and who knows, yet it was this placing of Doyle’s name to a hoax in his story (which does not hold water) and focusing the connection with Le Roi and Margery Crandon that it is then Sir Doyle quickly exits the pages of the rest of his story.

Second to last thing in this story, and it is the most weird and shocking inclusion of Dave’s narrative, being the murder of Elizabeth Short aka the Black Dahlia in 1947 (20 years prior to the LC theme of the story) which he links to the Phillips’s family and to that of Dr. George Hodel, the “prime suspect” in the murder, later to be acquitted and yet not to be forgot.

The intention is not to pull on any of this as it has been looked at in detail, yet what I was wondering was why in the world would McGowan include those photos in the first place - without citations as to their origins (“you have been warned” McGowan says to readers - well heck, thanks for the warning). So where did the photos come from? Where they came from (given the ID markers) is likely from the police investigation's IDent file or possibly from the prosecution/defense lawyers, and they looked to be originals proofs and not copies. So, it seems to me that photo's like these are not something that would or should be floating around, certainly not for publishing in some LIFE type magazine, so they were either leaked or otherwise. Whatever the case, it is not something people need to see and only speaks to the psychopathology of whoever did this sick murder and for any other strange reasons why they were later (or at the time) circulated. Again, I don’t know why Dave (and I tried to reason it) would place these disturbing photo’s in his story, like some sort of snuff vignetting example for the world to see; despite his warning. Yeah, we see horrible things every day in life and war, yet something here was not right at all.

And speaking of film, this comes back to the Lookout Mountain Laboratory nestled in the Adams Apple of LC built in 1941, six years prior to the murder of Elizabeth Short not far away.

Mr. McGowan said:

What would become known as Lookout Mountain Laboratory was originally envisioned as an air defense center. Built in 1941 and nestled in two-and-a-half secluded acres off what is now Wonderland Park Avenue, the installation was hidden from view and surrounded by an electrified fence. By 1947, the facility featured a fully operational movie studio. In fact, it is claimed that it was perhaps the world's only completely self-contained movie studio. With 100,000 square feet of floor space, the covert studio included sound stages, screening rooms, film processing labs, editing facilities, an animation department, and seventeen climate-controlled film vaults. It also had underground parking, a helicopter pad and a bomb shelter.

Over its lifetime, the studio produced some 19,000 classified motion pictures - more than all the Hollywood studios combined (which I guess makes Laurel Canyon the real 'motion picture capital of the world'). Officially, the facility was run by the U.S. Air Force and did nothing more nefarious than process AEC footage of atomic and nuclear bomb tests. The studio, however, was clearly equipped to do far more than just process film. There are indications that Lookout Mountain Laboratory had an advanced research and development department that was on the cutting edge of new film technologies. Such technological advances as 3-D effects were apparently first developed at the Laurel Canyon site. And Hollywood luminaries like John Ford, Jimmy Stewart, Howard Hawks, Ronald Reagan, Bing Crosby, Walt Disney and Marilyn Monroe were given clearance to work at the facility on undisclosed projects. There is no indication that any of them ever spoke of their work at the clandestine studio.

That facility in McGowan’s story is indeed a red flag as a proximity marker with the groups described. Being that it was military and advanced – indicated with the type of technology that people could not know about for those times then, so this aspect surly caught readers attention.

Now there is a book written - co-authored by O’Gorman and Hamilton, about the Lookout Mountain Laboratory discussed below:

Snip
"We had never heard of it, didn't know what is was and so we just started digging," O'Gorman said. The resulting project sometimes took on the feel of detective work, he said. "We were just piecing together a bunch of obscure clues and starting to make connections."

Their luckiest break came when they visited the abandoned Lookout Mountain facility after Hamilton contacted the property owner and found a trove of Lookout Mountain semiannual reports on microfilm.

One thing that piqued their mutual interest early on was in viewing the Operation Ivy film and noting the excessive screen time devoted to operators in front of consoles. In a film about a historic test, they wondered, why that and not more "money shots" of the mushroom clouds and the drama?

They eventually concluded that men in front of consoles projected an image of control. "The government began to realize that the images of the tests themselves had the capacity to create unmanageable fear and unmanageable effects," said Hamilton, now also the dean of the College of Fine and Applied Arts. "Men in front of consoles was a way of arguing that America has the proper apparatus and the proper bodies and the proper authority to keep that seemingly unmanageable and fearsome technology under control."

I don’t doubt their conclusions regarding the illusion of keeping things “under control,” yet it’s odd perhaps that a “treasure trove” remained behind as a compass in the new owner’s home for them to find - again kind of odd, yet not impossible, and it may be explained well in their book.

When reading all this – who had access to Lookout Mountain Laboratory and why, obviously the LA’s Time Magazine (or LIFE) might have benefited, which brought up (and I can’t make it go anywhere, if it even could, for the very Rabbit Hole it likely would be – so just mentioning it) was the Zapruder film.

In this article it mentions:

“Even though Time, Inc. (more commonly referred to in this instance as LIFE magazine) had purchased the Zapruder film on November 25, 1963 (the Monday following JFK's assassination) for $150,000.00, it was never shown publicly by Time, Inc. or LIFE as a motion picture. (Only selected still frames were published by LIFE, from time to time, on special occasions, when the magazine deemed it appropriate.)
[…]
The Traditionally Understood Zapruder Film Chain of Custody, from Friday, November 22nd, 1963 through Tuesday, November 26th, 1963
[…]
Zapruder went home Friday night with the camera-original film, and one of the "first day copies" in his possession. He was contacted on the phone late Friday night by Richard Stolley, LIFE magazine's Pacific Coast editor out of Los Angeles, and Zapruder agreed to meet with Mr. Stolley and discuss the film's potential sale the next morning in his office.
[…]
Abraham Zapruder met with Secret Service officials and Mr. Stolley of LIFE in his office on Saturday morning, 11/23/63, and projected the original film for them on his 8 mm projector.[9]

He then struck a deal with Richard Stolley, selling to LIFE, for $50,000.00, worldwide print media rights to the assassination movie (but not motion picture rights). Zapruder agreed in this initial contract that he would not exploit the film as a motion picture, himself, until Friday, November 29th. Zapruder immediately relinquished the camera-original film to LIFE for a six day period, and kept in his possession the one remaining "same day copy." By the terms of this initial contract with LIFE, Zapruder was to have the original film returned to him by LIFE on or about November 29th, and in exchange he was then to give LIFE the remaining first day copy.[10]

Richard Stolley immediately put the film on a commercial flight bound for Chicago, where LIFE's principal printing plant was located.[11] The presses for the November 29th edition had been stopped on Friday, the day of the assassination, and the plan was to make major use of the imagery from Zapruder's film as the issue was reconfigured.

This whole thing is an interesting story in of itself and was wondering if Lookout Mountain had played a role, like “on a commercial flight bound for Chicago LA” first:

The only part of the Chicago story that is subject to doubt is the exact timing of when the LIFE editorial and technical team actually performed its layout of the Zapruder frames for the November 29th issue: was it actually Saturday night, or was it really Sunday night, or perhaps even early Monday morning before dawn?

Lookout Mountain was in the business of making propaganda, or as Edward Bernays saw it, propaganda had become a bad Hitler term and it was renamed PR. Like I said, a Rabbit Hole.

Anyway, in all of the late Dave McGowan LC story there is a million directions one can go in – and it’s clear there are bad actors (literally) around the story, and some really messed up musicians and people. There are suicides, murders, cults, big business, famous musicians (and some not so good musically) and actors that would later dominate the LC/LA social scene while played on the global movie screens. There was military labs/film labs and drugs galore, and a whole movement that seems to have been birthed from LC that appeared to dominated youth then (yet it was happening elsewhere too), and even now to some extent. Later generations had their own music/drug scene, and of course the following generations had/have theirs - all helping to redirect their listening, watching and general participation into a possible predetermined social model.

LC, damn crazy story…

I read McGowan’s book Weird Scenes In The Canyon, and for the first hundred or so pages he had my full attention. But by the latter third he seemed to be able to connect virtually anything. I was ready for Jerry Garcia to throw a pick to the crowd to signal the assassination of Richard Nixon. But of course The Dead didn’t tour in ‘74 because Watergate. Mind you, McGowan never claimed that, I just made it up as an example of how preposterous the connections became. He seemed to be reaching for anything remotely plausible and frankly, whilst the beginning parts were intriguing, he left me ambivalent. I haven’t read all these posted parts, and I don’t know in what manner they may differ, but his book seemed to be something of a flight of fancy. Entertaining, but not quite solid.

...and for the first hundred or so pages he had my full attention.

He had mine, too, and indeed there was odd things taking place - somewhat connected things (a Canyon focal point and the people in it - not to mention its LA) and perhaps somewhat embellished connections, as is known happens with some similar written works by authors that need hooks to keep readers engaged. What was solid and what is to be thrown away is a often a hard thing to get at, though, and yet probabilities lean in the direction that there were throw away lines in his narrative.

So, given the subjects notoriety within his story - their 'star' status et cetera, Dave had plenty to work with as it highlight these well known people and events of those times (heck just look at how the press can spin Trump or other matters); and I'm not saying he was wrong on all his points as cetainly bad, strange and pathological things happened - yet as you said "...his book seemed to be something of a flight of fancy. Entertaining, but not quite solid."

Back
Top Bottom