Ink

Mountain Crown

The Living Force
A little incoherent in its opening, purposely I think, morphing into a moving look at redemption of a man's soul, using techniques such as non-linear time, alternate realities, battle between light and dark entities. Really different, you may like it very much.

Thanks MC. Sounds like the Matrix or Donnie Darko type. Okay I'll put this down as a must watch on my list. :)

Great , I thought that its only fantasy or some new "Narnia " type , and thinking those days is it worth it to watch. Thanks for recommendation !

MC said:
If you watch this, tell me why you think they chose the name Ink, one guess please.

Maybe you'd like to begin by giving us your guess?

MC said:
Heimdallr said:
MC said:
If you watch this, tell me why you think they chose the name Ink, one guess please.

Maybe you'd like to begin by giving us your guess?

Wouldn't make sense unless it's seen, but here it goes!
Well, I have watched it and thought it was OK. Found the first half quite hard going - it just seemed quite low-budget with some unconvincing acting. However, the hypderdimensional effects towards the end were well done and the small butterfly-wing-esq changes leading to large events was inspiring - like we aim to do here in many ways.

I might be a bit slow MC but I don't know the significance of the chap being called Ink. invisible ink? disappearing ink? wouldn't nosey bonk have been better?
pic.php
The character from a 1980's UK children's TV show.

[quote author=Pob]Well, I have watched it and thought it was OK. Found the first half quite hard going - it just seemed quite low-budget with some unconvincing acting. However, the hypderdimensional effects towards the end were well done and the small butterfly-wing-esq changes leading to large events was inspiring - like we aim to do here in many ways.

I might be a bit slow MC but I don't know the significance of the chap being called Ink. invisible ink? disappearing ink? wouldn't nosey bonk have been better?[/quote]

I had entertained the thought that the author chose the name with veiled humor because Jimmy Durante (known for his big schnozzole) became identified with the song ‘Ink a Dink a Do’.

I share your take on the beginning of the movie, but thought it resonated with concepts held dear by us on the forum regarding personal responsibility, conscience, hyper-dimensional being and nonlinear time.

The pathfinder, though an interesting concept, seemed a little too flakey at times; it may have been a mistake to rely on the character as a form of comic relief rather than making him a full-blown trickster.

MC said:
I had entertained the thought that the author chose the name with veiled humor because Jimmy Durante (known for his big schnozzole) became identified with the song ‘Ink a Dink a Do’.

I share your take on the beginning of the movie, but thought it resonated with concepts held dear by us on the forum regarding personal responsibility, conscience, hyper-dimensional being and nonlinear time.

The pathfinder, though an interesting concept, seemed a little too flakey at times; it may have been a mistake to rely on the character as a form of comic relief rather than making him a full-blown trickster.

I see, I hadn't heard of Jimmy Durante before, enjoyed the song though :)

However, I think the name Ink, is more likely to be from the name of the clan he is supposedly aiming to become: The Incubi.

The Incubi give nightmares while the Storytellers offer dreams of hope. These two groups battle for Emma (Quinn Hunchar) in this alternate realm, where time runs differently, as she lays in a coma in the real world after Ink took her essence to prove his worthiness to become an Incubi._http://www.bloggersbase.com/media/ink-movie-review/

The wiki definition describes Inbubi as sexually driven in nature (which wasn't in the film) but the big nose is likely to be a representation of a large organ:

An incubus (plural incubi) is a demon in male form supposed to lie upon sleepers, especially women, in order to have sexual intercourse with them, according to a number of mythological and legendary traditions. Its female counterpart is the succubus. An incubus may pursue sexual relations with a woman in order to father a child, as in the legend of Merlin.[1] Some sources indicate that it may be identified by its unnaturally large or cold sexual organ.[2] Religious tradition holds that repeated intercourse with an incubus or succubus may result in the deterioration of health, or even death _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubus_%28demon%29

edit: Is it possible that the story the film was based upon (if it was) was actually about child abuse and the father was declared unfit to be a father because of that, not because he was too busy buying and selling shares?

The origin of the legend is interesting:

Purported victims of incubi could have been the victims of sexual assault by a real person. Rapists may have attributed the rapes of sleeping women to demons in order to escape punishment. A friend or relative may have assaulted the victim in her sleep. The victims and, in some cases the clergy,[5] may have found it easier to explain the attack as supernatural rather than confront the idea that the attack came from someone in a position of trust.

That would explain why the opposing 'good' forces are called storytellers.

edit: Going even further off topic, but coincidentally the Noseybonk wiki gives a similar dark association:

Performed by Headley in a Tuxedo, white gloves & a white face mask with a massive nose, prominent toothy grin & dark, soul-less eyes, Mr. Noseybonk was supposed to present some light relief & guide viewers through a puzzle that would contribute to the ongoing puzzle throughout the show.

In effect, however, Mr. Noseybonk was far more feared than he was loved, and went on to remain in many children's minds for years to come as a figure of terror. Interestingly, very little archive material of Mr. Noseybonk exists (indeed, very little Jigsaw material exists, having never been repeated) but none of the Jigsaw tie in media featured any photographs of the large-nosed terror.
[...]
* In 2008, the BBC television series Screenwipe featured a special edition dedicated to children's television, in which the host, Charlie Brooker referred to the repeated terror that Mr Noseybonk provided, labelling him a "leering deathmask figure" who haunted his dreams and struck him as the kind of figure who would "sneak into a stranger's bedroom in the dead of night and knife you, and knife you, and knife you..."(etc, until Brookers voice grows more and more distorted until it dissolves into a demonic echo)

FWIW found an interview with the director
The story of Ink was in my head for years. It was all based on a creature I was convinced I saw in my bedroom when I was about four years old. After completing 11:59 I knew I wanted to tackle a more extravagant fantasy film, but I wanted to approach it in a grittier and more authentic manner than anything I had seen in regards to fantasy/sci-fi. I started with the memory of the creature in my bedroom and branched off into an idea of people who give us dreams and nightmares while we sleep. Thematically I was really interested in the idea of redemption and that became the core in which the story was built around._http://nwfilmforum.wordpress.com/2009/08/28/an-interview-with-ink-director-jamin-winans/

Thanks for the info Pob. :cool2:

However, I think the name Ink, is more likely to be from the name of the clan he is supposedly aiming to become: The Incubi.

Yes, very likely and so obvious! It's amazing how goofy my imagination can be at times. :scared:

Back
Top Bottom